What are you drinking?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

While perusing the Scotch aisle at Total Wine I noticed two possible trends.

First, perhaps as an inevitable pendulum swing from wine cask maturation, a few whiskies now label themselves "first fill" or "virgin". Deanston did this some time ago, but now others are proud to announce they are using pristine unused casks. (At the moment, I have before me Glenlivet First Fill 12 year old, price about $7 higher than its standard 12 year old, but not much difference in taste that I can tell.)

Second, a number of whiskies now conspicuously label themselves "single grain". I don't remember seeing any such before yesterday.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2019, 05:20:35 PM
While perusing the Scotch aisle at Total Wine I noticed two possible trends.

First, perhaps as an inevitable pendulum swing from wine cask maturation, a few whiskies now label themselves "first fill" or "virgin". Deanston did this some time ago, but now others are proud to announce they are using pristine unused casks. (At the moment, I have before me Glenlivet First Fill 12 year old, price about $7 higher than its standard 12 year old, but not much difference in taste that I can tell.)

Second, a number of whiskies now conspicuously label themselves "single grain". I don't remember seeing any such before yesterday.

Yeah, single grain is cheaper to produce, but for many consumers the magic word 'Single' still means only one single grain when it really refers to a single distillery. But they can be enjoyed for what they are and are also a way for whisky drinkers to get an older bottle for less than the price of a single malt of similar vintage. Broadly speaking I've found most single grains to have far more in common with a Highland than something like an Islay, but with a robustness to their character(s).

There's a lot doing the rounds from what was once the biggest distillery in Scotland -

[asin]B079TDVKDT[/asin]

And this is one I tasted most recently, but I can't find it on Amazon -

Trivia: I had an apartment in the converted offices and headquarters of that distillery. It was about the width of a two lane road away and at all times the production of the whisky heavily flavoured the air of the surrounding area.

Anyway, I'm sure that Glenlivet is a pleasure and I hope you enjoy it.

JBS

Quote from: NikF4 on May 24, 2019, 06:20:52 PM
Yeah, single grain is cheaper to produce, but for many consumers the magic word 'Single' still means only one single grain when it really refers to a single distillery. But they can be enjoyed for what they are and are also a way for whisky drinkers to get an older bottle for less than the price of a single malt of similar vintage. Broadly speaking I've found most single grains to have far more in common with a Highland than something like an Islay, but with a robustness to their character(s).

There's a lot doing the rounds from what was once the biggest distillery in Scotland -

[asin]B079TDVKDT[/asin]

And this is one I tasted most recently, but I can't find it on Amazon -

Trivia: I had an apartment in the converted offices and headquarters of that distillery. It was about the width of a two lane road away and at all times the production of the whisky heavily flavoured the air of the surrounding area.

Anyway, I'm sure that Glenlivet is a pleasure and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers! And good to see you around!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2019, 06:26:42 PM
Cheers! And good to see you around!

Thanks, good to see you too. And this is just a short visit after returning north for a concert last week. I meant to leave soon after, but a few days of enjoying an unplanned rest has been great.

TheGSMoeller

I have found that Ocean Spray's Cranberry/Pomegranate drink is a great mixer with vodka. If it's not that with Tito's Vodka, then it's Frangelico straight, room-temp. Or Lagunitas IPA. These have been my quarentined-beverages of choice.

stingo

A very nice crowler of Maine King Titus Porter, 7.5% ABV while listening to Andrea von Kampen and then Kate Rusby.

LKB

At the risk derailing the alcoholic theme presently current here ( nothing against alcoholic beverages mind you, JD and l are frequent companions ), just now I'm enjoying the amazingly good coffee offered by my favorite coffee shop.

Floating,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Irons

I enjoy a beer, either Stella or Staropramen (not only good music comes out of Prague) mid afternoon and usually while logged into GMG - which would explain the odd inane comment! It has grown into a habit so to be put on a course of antibiotics (no alcohol) for a bad tooth was a bit of a blow. For the very first time I sampled non-alcohol beer which had interesting results. Two, one a larger, the other a beer, were truly horrible with an aftertaste that made me shudder, but hit on Heineken which is actually not bad and I was able to pretend I was drinking the real thing.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on October 14, 2020, 07:48:58 AM
I enjoy a beer, either Stella or Staropramen (not only good music comes out of Prague) mid afternoon and usually while logged into GMG - which would explain the odd inane comment!

My favorite Staropramen is the dark one.

My beer of choice is this Romanian one:

I don't like beer during winter, though, so in two weeks time I'll probably quit drinking beer until next Spring.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Probably my new favorite beer of all time.

It's a very traditional English style brown ale, a la Newcastle, but with a few added ghost chile peppers which gives it a somewhat spicy lingering aftertaste. Diabolically delicious!

By the way, my music collection is obscured by the can and glass, but above the glass people who have the "Complete Thelonious Monk Prestige Recordings" box set may be able to spot it...

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on October 14, 2020, 08:00:42 AM
My favorite Staropramen is the dark one.

My beer of choice is this Romanian one:

I don't like beer during winter, though, so in two weeks time I'll probably quit drinking beer until next Spring.

Unfortunately doubt if either available in my neck of the woods.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

stingo

Surly Brewing's Damien, Child of Darkness Black IPA. 6.5 ABV. 16oz can. Tasty!

Irons

Quote from: stingo on October 15, 2020, 06:59:08 PM
Surly Brewing's Damien, Child of Darkness Black IPA. 6.5 ABV. 16oz can. Tasty!

6.5 ABV. As a late friend was fond of saying "That's falling over beer". :-[

André Le Nôtre

Ricard! One part Ricard to five parts cold (!!) water, plus a four or five ice cubes. Very refreshing! Did I mention it should be COLD!!!???

SonicMan46

Boy, I've not been here in a long while, but still drinking plenty of wine - in COVID isolation, ordering from our local wine emporium (Total Wine) and also online deliveries from specific wineries on the West Coast and the Finger Lakes District of upstate New York.  Don't have a recommendation but reading a book on James K. Polk (11th USA president) - Sam Houston's comment on Polk gave me a chortle (Karl's oft used expression) -  :laugh:  Dave

vandermolen

Local dark beer - my favourite:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Honouring aligreto's return

Indigenous Romanian, red, semi-sweet, DOC, full mature.

Fetească Neagră translates (literally) as Girlish Black yet it's a wine for gentlemen.

Here's to you, Fergus, and to all GMGers!

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on October 14, 2020, 08:00:42 AM

Wow, beautiful! One day I love to try it!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2021, 11:42:56 AM
Local dark beer - my favourite:

Looks very interesting. Must be very good with the fish pie over there. I am envious.  ;D

foxandpeng

A fine beverage...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy