Wagner's Parsifal

Started by rubio, August 31, 2008, 05:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaszz

Quote from: James on March 05, 2013, 02:46:01 PM
"Of all composers", Pierre confided in a 2009 interview, "Wagner is the one who impressed me the most - with his harmonic language & his contrapuntal complexity."

I find it interesting and ironic that Wagner produced a five foot shelf of prose books and pamphlets on many topics, including but not limited to his intense anti-Semitism. He wrote about 250 books and pamphlets on other subjects as well such as composers, conducting, opera, poetry, drama, music-drama, culture, Germanness, gender, religion, theatre reform, politics, history, an autobiography, etc. He wrote so much prose, a lot of it turgid, that his musical output was quite a bit less than that of any composer of comparable stature. Yet nowhere (to my knowledge) did he write a single word about what is perhaps his biggest contribution, and what we'd really like to hear his views about, his expansion of harmony.   

Jaakko Keskinen

My favorite Parsifal recordings are by Solti and Knappertsbusch.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

DavidA

Quote from: Chaszz on March 08, 2013, 07:25:52 PM
I find it interesting and ironic that Wagner produced a five foot shelf of prose books and pamphlets on many topics, including but not limited to his intense anti-Semitism. He wrote about 250 books and pamphlets on other subjects as well such as composers, conducting, opera, poetry, drama, music-drama, culture, Germanness, gender, religion, theatre reform, politics, history, an autobiography, etc. He wrote so much prose, a lot of it turgid, that his musical output was quite a bit less than that of any composer of comparable stature. Yet nowhere (to my knowledge) did he write a single word about what is perhaps his biggest contribution, and what we'd really like to hear his views about, his expansion of harmony.   

A pity Wagner didn't restrict himself to writing music!

david-jw

I have just ordered this Parsifal, principally owing to my admiration for all things Varnay:

Anyone familiar with it?

If so, thoughts? :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Set Svanholm, Hans Hotter and George London on the same recording? Oh my god!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Wendell_E

Quote from: david-jw on August 25, 2013, 02:49:22 AM
I have just ordered this Parsifal, principally owing to my admiration for all things Varnay:

Anyone familiar with it?

If so, thoughts? :)

I'm not familiar with it, but I'll be interested to hear what you think, as that is amazing casting.  Looking at the Met's online database, I see that the identical cast, except for the Gurnemanz, sang the opera on two consecutive days(!!), a Good Friday matinee (Jerome Hines as Gurnemanz), and the Saturday matinee on that recording, with Hotter (it was his final Met performance).  I guess they really don't make opera singers like they used to! The review of the Friday performance does mention that Mack Harrell and Margaret Harshaw were originally scheduled to sing Amfortas and Kundry, but were indisposed.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

jochanaan

I had the distinct privilege of seeing Parsifal live at the NY Met in 1979: Jon Vickers as Parsifal, Martti Talvela as Gurnemanz, Aage Haugland (I think) as Klingsor, and Christa Ludwig as Kundry, with Levine conducting.  A lovely experience!  But a quick search on my part didn't find any recordings with that cast and crew...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Wendell_E

Quote from: jochanaan on August 25, 2013, 02:48:31 PM
I had the distinct privilege of seeing Parsifal live at the NY Met in 1979: Jon Vickers as Parsifal, Martti Talvela as Gurnemanz, Aage Haugland (I think) as Klingsor, and Christa Ludwig as Kundry, with Levine conducting.  A lovely experience!  But a quick search on my part didn't find any recordings with that cast and crew...

According to the Met's online database, Haugland only sang Klingsor there in 1983 and 1991.  In 1979, you'd have heard either Vern Shinall or Morley Meredith.  The April 14th matinee broadcast (with Shinall) is available via their "Met Opera on Demand" for $3.99.  They've also got a 7-day free trial available.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/ondemand
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

david-jw

The Stiedry Parsifal hasn't arrived yet but I found a small review of it in the Guardian newspaper from 2005:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/mar/11/classicalmusicandopera.shopping3

it reads:

"Astrid Varnay was one of the great Wagner interpreters of the postwar era, though she never made a complete recording of the role of Kundry, the psychotic seductress in Parsifal. This remarkable issue, taken from a 1954 Met broadcast, finally allows us to hear what was clearly an astonishing portrayal, in which she more than compensates for moments of raw tone with psychological insights of devastating complexity. Set Svanholm is her boyish, unusually stroppy Parsifal. George London's Amfortas and Hans Hotter's Gurnemanz are familiar from other recordings, though both remain matchless.

The conductor is Fritz Stiedry, a formidable, if underrated Wagnerian, who remorselessly exposes the thin dividing line between spirituality and sensuality on which the opera pivots. One of the best Parsifals available - and as a bonus, you get a performance of act one of Die Walküre from the Met the same year, with Varnay and Svanholm über-passionate as the incestuous lovers and a rare chance to hear Hotter as Hunding"

Itullian

I just got the new Gergiev Parsifal.
It's absolutely wonderful.
When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

mjwal

Yes, there are moments, " psychological insights of devastating complexity", both from the singers, especially Varnay and Hotter, and the conductor - but the sound is often virtually unlistenable for longish stretches. I may add that I have been listening to historical recordings since the 1950s, so I am not a sissy when it comes to antiquated sound. But with recordings like this one cries Come back, Studio 8-H, all is forgiven! It cannot be compared with, say, the Bayreuth Karajan Tristan of 1952 for sonic consistency.
Quote from: david-jw on August 26, 2013, 10:37:24 AM
The Stiedry Parsifal hasn't arrived yet but I found a small review of it in the Guardian newspaper from 2005:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/mar/11/classicalmusicandopera.shopping3

it reads:

"Astrid Varnay was one of the great Wagner interpreters of the postwar era, though she never made a complete recording of the role of Kundry, the psychotic seductress in Parsifal. This remarkable issue, taken from a 1954 Met broadcast, finally allows us to hear what was clearly an astonishing portrayal, in which she more than compensates for moments of raw tone with psychological insights of devastating complexity. Set Svanholm is her boyish, unusually stroppy Parsifal. George London's Amfortas and Hans Hotter's Gurnemanz are familiar from other recordings, though both remain matchless.

The conductor is Fritz Stiedry, a formidable, if underrated Wagnerian, who remorselessly exposes the thin dividing line between spirituality and sensuality on which the opera pivots. One of the best Parsifals available - and as a bonus, you get a performance of act one of Die Walküre from the Met the same year, with Varnay and Svanholm über-passionate as the incestuous lovers and a rare chance to hear Hotter as Hunding"
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Moonfish

Wagner: Parsifal       London/van Mill/Weber/Windgassen/Uhde/Mödl/
Chor und Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele/Knappertsbusch
(1951)

This live version from Bayreuth under Knappertsbusch is much better than I expected. The sound is warm and immediate (surprisingly) so I found myself quickly drawn to the performance. I enjoy Knappertsbusch's slow pace - very meditative - but also his ability to invoke strong emotion in the different passages.

Which recording do you prefer when it comes to Wagner's Parsifal?

[asin] B0065VTHDO[/asin]

This 1951 recording can also be found in the following ZYX set:

[asin] B00AY6L9UA[/asin]

as well as in the excellent mega-Bayreuth set (i.e. if one enjoys historical recordings)

[asin] B008MYYODK[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Just went ahead and ordered two other recordings of Parsifal as I find this journey fascinating!

Knappertsbusch's 1951 recording made me eager to listen to his later 1962 rendition. I understand that the tempi are faster in this recording and listeners seem split between the two.

[asin] B000FVHGZG[/asin]

I simply have to find out how Boulez wrestles with Wagner's magnificent composition:

[asin] B000009JNI[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

While you are at it

Unless you intend to get the set that has all of Solti's Wagner recordings.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 15, 2014, 08:51:07 PM
While you are at it

Unless you intend to get the set that has all of Solti's Wagner recordings.

I have this one which I presume is the same performance? I do enjoy it very much!  :)
It was my first Parsifal!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(   *happy tears*

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Moonfish on November 15, 2014, 01:18:54 PM
Wagner: Parsifal       London/van Mill/Weber/Windgassen/Uhde/Mödl/
Chor und Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele/Knappertsbusch
(1951)

This live version from Bayreuth under Knappertsbusch is much better than I expected. The sound is warm and immediate (surprisingly) so I found myself quickly drawn to the performance. I enjoy Knappertsbusch's slow pace - very meditative - but also his ability to invoke strong emotion in the different passages.

Which recording do you prefer when it comes to Wagner's Parsifal?

[asin] B0065VTHDO[/asin]

This 1951 recording can also be found in the following ZYX set:

[asin] B00AY6L9UA[/asin]

as well as in the excellent mega-Bayreuth set (i.e. if one enjoys historical recordings)

[asin] B008MYYODK[/asin]

Is this Naxos recording the same 1951 Knappertsbusch found in the three above? Or, alternatively, are all these releases of Parsifal the very same recording (just potentially processed differently)?

[asin] B00007FKPY[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Hmmm, is this Kubelik recording the "holy grail" of Parsifal?

[asin] B00009LW4Y[/asin]
Anna Lappé

knight66

I have read that it is, though I have never heard it, it would not surprise me if it was remarkable, as time goes by and more live Kubelik surfaces, we get the chance to appreciate how superb he was. His 'live' Meistersingers is my favourite version.

I also do enjoy the Karajan Parsifal and on DVD the Met performance is marvelous.

Mike

PS.....I have ordered it after rereading the reviews.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Moonfish on November 16, 2014, 04:05:59 AM
Is this Naxos recording the same 1951 Knappertsbusch found in the three above? Or, alternatively, are all these releases of Parsifal the very same recording (just potentially processed differently)?

I think so. It was also available from Teldec (the version I own).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

Quote from: Moonfish on November 16, 2014, 04:10:22 AM
Hmmm, is this Kubelik recording the "holy grail" of Parsifal?

[asin] B00009LW4Y[/asin]
The Kubelik is an excellent recording of Parsifal...When I first listened to it, I wasn't that impressed, but some months later...wow! The prelude is done wonderfully: the way that the conductor manages to juxtapose the different motifs of this stunning composition is admirable. The orchestral response is also very, very good.

It is on the slow side, although it isn't "solemn" (and I mean this as a compliment). Some passages are really very slow (the transformation music in Act 1, for instance), but not to the point of dragging.

Of the soloists, the Gurnemanz of Kurt Moll stands out...one of the best I've ever heard. Firm tone, noble delivery, very clear pronunciation. I think that in the title role, the younger King (on Boulez's set) is better than his older self here, but it still is a good performance. Yvonne Minton, an artist I hugely admire, is a "different" Kundry, and again I think she is better on her other recording (conducted Armin Jordan--the soundtrack to the Syberberg film). Franz Mazura is as good a Klingsor as any (I'm partial, as I saw him in the role in Bayreuth when I was very young), and Weikl is an accomplished Amfortas, on the lyrical side (again, I saw him in the role in Bayreuth).

With Knappertsbusch and the Boulez that you've ordered, you'll have the recordings of two conductors who have set standards in this piece, I'd say (Boulez took the Wieland Wagner staging in Bayreuth over from Knappertsbusch after the latter's death--with a one year interregnum of Cluytens in 1965). Knappertsbusch and Boulez are almost complete opposites, but both very valid approaches to the piece. I do think, though, that Knappertsbusch 62 is marred by the poor Gurnemenz of Hans Hotter (a wonderful artist, but here well past his prime and underlining the character's status as an elderly man--something I find really unpleasant).

The Kubelik is an excellent complement to Knappertsbusch and Boulez. Solti is, in my opinion, slightly inferior to any of these (except for Christa Ludwig's breathtaking portrayal of Kundry).

If you want something completely different, though, try the Herbert Kegel on Berlin Classics...it's a live (concert) performance of the opera in Leipzig, the first performance of the Bühnenweihfestspiel in the German Democratic Republic (the piece had been banned until then)...it's a very quick, no-nonsense version, but that sheds new light on this wonderful composition....

[asin]B0017V8AZS[/asin]