Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

Favorite solo trumpet passages?

A few more obscure favorites:

Carter - Beginning of Symphony of Three Orchestras
Wolpe - Piece for Trumpet and Seven Instruments
Jon Hassell on the original CBS recording of In C

karlhenning

First part especially of the Hindemith Concert Music for Brass and Strings, Opus 50

david johnson

solos in: pines of rome, song of the nightingale, church windows, pictures at an exhibition, an american in paris.....

Drasko

karlhenning

Shostakovich First Piano Concerto, of course.

uffeviking

Quote from: karlhenning on May 14, 2007, 09:24:19 AM
Shostakovich First Piano Concerto, of course.

Of course! That's the one I wanted to list, but you, Dear Friend, beat me to it. Now let's see if we agree on the best performance of it! Mine is the Russian Disc with The Man himself on the piano and Alexander Gauk blowing the horn.

A very close second choice the Chandos with the family members of Maxim conducting, Dmitry Jr. Piano and James Thompson, trumpet.

For heaven's sake stay away from the Bernstein/Previn performance. Maybe Lenny is a bit too fast, but Previn should have been able to keep up with him and not drop all those notes under his bench!  ::)

Joe Barron

Carter's Symphony of Three Orchestras has already been mentioned, but the composer wrote another terrific trumpet solo in his song cycle "In Sleep, In Thunder." It appears at the end of "La Ignota," if I remember the spelling properly. When I first heard the piece live, I wrote the word "wow" next to the song title in my program.

Let's see, there's also the beginning of Cowell's Synchrony, and Ives's Harvest Home Chorales, though that's more for brass choir than soloist. And Mahler's Fourth, 1st movement.

And I love all baroque trumpet music, even the stuff that's overplayed.

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

biber wrote a bunch of trumpet duos as part of his sonate tam aris quam aulis servientes set. i haven't heard them all but the ones i have heard are pretty good. they're more like short fanfares that a king (etc) would have played as he made his way to the dinner table. michel delalande's concert des trompettes is excellent also. pavel vejvanovsky was a contemporary of biber's who was apparently the eddie van halen of his day (on the trumpet). i don't have any recordings of his stuff but samples i've heard are very good.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

david johnson

heldenmusik by telemann is great.  get the ghitalla/comé/biggs performance on columbia/sony.

dj

bwv 1080

Suprised no one has mentioned Mahler 5 yet

Brian

My very favorite? The slow middle passage from An American in Paris:)

dtwilbanks

I got your trumpet solos.

Greta

Ah Mahler, he can be the source of some unintended trumpet solos when the trumpeters haven't had their Wheaties!

The opening of the M7 Rondo-Finale comes to mind.  ;D

bwv 1080

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 14, 2007, 02:20:11 PM
I thought of it, but it's not among my faves: It's just a basic military motif that's been used by everyone from Haydn (Military Symphony) to Wagner (Lohengrin). The horn call in the Scherzo — that's another story.

Thats a fair description and describes why I don't care for most premodern music for the instrument.

I was listening to Miles' solo on Pharoh's Dance the other night and that has to equal anything in the classical repertoire.

bwv 1080

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 14, 2007, 02:26:38 PM
I got your trumpet solos.

Yep, this is one instrument where the jazz tradition has a huge leg up on the classical. 

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 14, 2007, 02:30:07 PM
Yep, this is one instrument where the jazz tradition has a huge leg up on the classical. 

So don't even bother with a saxophone thread.  ;D

hornteacher

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 14, 2007, 02:31:34 PM
So don't even bother with a saxophone thread.  ;D

Amen, brother!

hornteacher

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 14, 2007, 07:32:50 AM
Favorite solo trumpet passages?

Quiet City - Aaron Copland

anasazi

Probably an unlikely candidate to write a stunning trumpet solo was Ralph Vaughn Williams, but I just listened to his choral arrangement of "The Old 100th" the other day, when a billiant trumpet descant just hoped right out of the speakers.  ;-)

Another favorite is the opening pages of Bruckner's Symphony #3.

karlhenning

Quote from: uffeviking on May 14, 2007, 10:30:45 AM
Of course! That's the one I wanted to list, but you, Dear Friend, beat me to it. Now let's see if we agree on the best performance of it! Mine is the Russian Disc with The Man himself on the piano and Alexander Gauk blowing the horn.

A very close second choice the Chandos with the family members of Maxim conducting, Dmitry Jr. Piano and James Thompson, trumpet.

And, while on the topic of trumpet solos in the Shostakovich catalogue:  the trio of the third movement (Allegro non troppo) of the Eighth Symphony.