Trumpet Solos

Started by bwv 1080, May 14, 2007, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Barron

I forgot all about An American in Paris and Bruckner's Third, both of which are favorites. There are probably a lot of others I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do recall a terrific trumpet solo from a TV show called NYPD, starring Jack Warden and Frank Converse (not to be confused with NYPD Blue). Maybe there should be a thread about favorite TV themes. (Kojak would come under favorite horn music.)

Oh, and I misspoke earlier. The trumpet figure Maler used in his Fifth was also used in Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream, not Lohengrin. I always get the two wedding marches confused. It's Wagner as the bride comes in, Mendelssohn as the couple leaves.

hornteacher

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 15, 2007, 09:46:40 AM
I always get the two wedding marches confused. It's Wagner as the bride comes in, Mendelssohn as the couple leaves.

How ironic, Wagner usually makes me want to leave.   ;D ;D ;D

johnQpublic

Prokofiev - Lt. Kije Suite (several places not just the beginning & end)
Mahler - Blumine movement

MishaK

Mahler 3 offstage trumpet solo.
Scriabin Poem of Ecstasy

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

is there a reason that nobody has mentioned jeremiah clarke's "prince of denmark's march", which was misattributed to henry purcell until recently? or the the rondeau from jean-joseph mouret's "symphonies and fanfares for the king's supper", aka the masterpiece theatre theme? (after finding that out i want to hear more by mouret!  :D )
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Joe Barron

Quote from: hornteacher on May 15, 2007, 01:46:21 PM
How ironic, Wagner usually makes me want to leave.   ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, but you want to stick around for the Mendelssohn.  ;)