Buying from Crutchfield - A Warning

Started by George, November 27, 2023, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Just wanted to share a word of warning, as Crutchfield has a seemingly friendly policy regarding returns. However, if you have as little as three returns inn a six year period, even if each unit was clearly defective and properly documented and approved as such by Crutchfield, they will cut you off.

In the last six years, I had three returns (all defective, all returned in like new condition in less than a week each time) and today I got a "friendly" call today that I instead shop locally. I asked how that would help me determine if a product was defective and the guy had no answer. He didn't even have the guts to tell me straight that I would no longer be able to order from them, I had to ask him directly. Only then did he admit it.

So I wanted to warn you guys about this.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

I use them fairly often (well I mean as much as often is for electronics!) because the shipping is so fast (in the Carolinas it is next day shipping).  But knowing that I hesitate to continue ordering from them.

Spotted Horses

Similar reaction. I was thinking of ordering a gadget from Crutchfield rather than Amazon to support the "little guy," but the little guy doesn't seem like such a hero in this case. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

dhibbard

Thank you... I really didn't know they were still in business.... thought they had shuttered.. or went bankrupt?   Anyway.. go to Presto Music.. they are really better.

Daverz

Quote from: dhibbard on November 27, 2023, 03:23:49 PMThank you... I really didn't know they were still in business.... thought they had shuttered.. or went bankrupt?   Anyway.. go to Presto Music.. they are really better.

This is Crutchfield, not Crotchet.

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: George on November 27, 2023, 10:40:54 AMJust wanted to share a word of warning, as Crutchfield has a seemingly friendly policy regarding returns. However, if you have as little as three returns inn a six year period, even if each unit was clearly defective and properly documented and approved as such by Crutchfield, they will cut you off.

In the last six years, I had three returns (all defective, all returned in like new condition in less than a week each time) and today I got a "friendly" call today that I instead shop locally. I asked how that would help me determine if a product was defective and the guy had no answer. He didn't even have the guts to tell me straight that I would no longer be able to order from them, I had to ask him directly. Only then did he admit it.

So I wanted to warn you guys about this.

Out of curiosity, you made three returns out of how many orders in total?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 27, 2023, 08:17:36 PMOut of curiosity, you made three returns out of how many orders in total?
That's what I was wondering.  That, and what all George has purchased from them--just to be fair to them (Crutchfield).

I'm curious now as to what a friend of mine's experiences have been like with them (as I'm pretty sure that he's ordered from them in the past).  I'll have to ask him later.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2023, 08:25:40 AMThat's what I was wondering.  That, and what all George has purchased from them--just to be fair to them (Crutchfield).

I'm curious now as to what a friend of mine's experiences have been like with them (as I'm pretty sure that he's ordered from them in the past).  I'll have to ask him later.

PD

Crutchfield isn't unique. A while ago amazon started selling designer clothes and my wife ordered a few things and ended returning a fair fraction (a third, maybe). She got a nasty-gram suggesting that she make her selections more carefully with a veiled threat to close her account. They didn't understand that it is considered normal for such things to have a substantial return rate, since fit and the appearance of the clothes can't be judged well based on web site photos. In any case, she doesn't shop for clothes on amazon anymore.

Over ten years I've made perhaps five uneventful orders from Crutchfield (audio equipment).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 28, 2023, 08:52:48 AMCrutchfield isn't unique. A while ago amazon started selling designer clothes and my wife ordered a few things and ended returning a fair fraction (a third, maybe). She got a nasty-gram suggesting that she make her selections more carefully with a veiled threat to close her account. They didn't understand that it is considered normal for such things to have a substantial return rate, since fit and the appearance of the clothes can't be judged well based on web site photos. In any case, she doesn't shop for clothes on amazon anymore.

Over ten years I've made perhaps five uneventful orders from Crutchfield (audio equipment).
I can certainly understand re clothing and wanting to do returns.  By the way, from what I understand, Amazon no longer allows one to do free returns?  Other businesses often have a restocking fee.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 28, 2023, 08:52:48 AMCrutchfield isn't unique.

I had the same thing happen at Best Buy one year.  I bought a blu-ray and it was the wrong one, a coffee maker that was defective and something else that was cheap.  They warned me at that point.  It was just the number and not the amount because another year I bought and returned a $2k tv without any repercussions whatsoever!!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on November 28, 2023, 10:16:32 AMI had the same thing happen at Best Buy one year.  I bought a blu-ray and it was the wrong one, a coffee maker that was defective and something else that was cheap.  They warned me at that point.  It was just the number and not the amount because another year I bought and returned a $2k tv without any repercussions whatsoever!!
I wonder how much that has to do with who you deal(t) with on the day and/or changes in policy over time?  Not so surprised re policies by Best Buy and Amazon, but am surprised if that's the case with Cruchfield--part of the reason why I and Spotted Horses wanted to know a bit more about George's history with them (without getting too intrusive).

Speaking of stores and policies, I was surprised to be asked to *show my receipt as I and a friend were exiting Walmart (I had purchased a big-ticket item of about $30--a humidifier and he purchased a few small items which were already in one of their bags.).  First time that this has ever happened to me there.  The worker was friendly and polite, but still....Perhaps some extra vigilance close to the holidays?

*My friend also had to show his receipt.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2023, 10:38:42 AMI wonder how much that has to do with who you deal(t) with on the day and/or changes in policy over time? 

It was triggered by the system, not the person who told me.  And I don't think the policy changed.  It is the frequency of returns that stores care about.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on November 28, 2023, 10:46:48 AMIt was triggered by the system, not the person who told me.  And I don't think the policy changed.  It is the frequency of returns that stores care about.
Thanks for the information.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2023, 09:06:49 AMI can certainly understand re clothing and wanting to do returns.  By the way, from what I understand, Amazon no longer allows one to do free returns?  Other businesses often have a restocking fee.

PD

We have amazon prime and returns are free with free shipping. That may not apply for people who are not prime members, or for marketplace sellers.

Pohjolas Daughter

I spoke to my friend last night.  As I had thought, he's ordered from them maybe a half-dozen times(?) over the past decade and never had any problems, but I also don't think that he tried to return anything.

In any event, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them.  I would do my best to research first though re equipment.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2023, 05:10:39 AMI would do my best to research first though re equipment.

I think that is a bit disrespectful to George.  Buying defective equipment isn't because he failed to do his research.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on November 29, 2023, 06:42:07 AMI think that is a bit disrespectful to George.  Buying defective equipment isn't because he failed to do his research.
I just meant that in terms of ordering things that I spend a lot of time doing research first.  I know that some people (and I wasn't implying that George did this), will order bunches of things and then return most or all of them.  I had a friend who years ago would order lots of shoes from Amazon and then return 99% of them.  Her rational was:  Hey, it's free shipping.

And, yes, if something is defective, you shouldn't be stuck with it.  I don't know whether he asked for a refund or just to have the item replaced either, but that's neither here nor there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter