Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

I've already finished the first story arc of Hunter x Hunter (2011), and I've been totally hooked. The other 127 episodes of the show consists almost entirely of story arcs which are supposed to be even way better, which is hard to imagine.

Yoshihiro Togashi's wildly inventive mind just never ceases to amaze me. The episodes fly by so quickly because they are so entertaining and fascinating. The characters are very well though-out and distinct and the same goes for the scenarios they're involved in. Can't wait for the story arcs which are supposed to be even better!  ???

ibanezmonster

Haha, knew it before I even finished the test.

What is your Hunter x Hunter Nen type?

http://www.quotev.com/quiz/2088656/What-is-your-Nen-type/

You are a Conjurer!

You are typically high-strung, often on guard as to be overly cautious. You are very observant and rarely fall into the traps. Being able to analyze things calmly is the strength of the conjuration of users.
Conjuration is the ability to create a physical, independent, material object out of one's aura. Once a person has mastered the conjuration of a certain object, they can conjure it and dispel it in an instant, whenever they want. Conjuration is the only way in which Nen can create things that ordinary people (unaware of Nen) can see and touch.

ibanezmonster

Finished the Yorknew City arc in Hunter x Hunter (2011).

I had some difficulties enjoying it at first, but by the time it was over, I was just in awe. Such an intricate story, excellent character development, pacing, setting, etc. It's a tale of revenge, the mafia, and a group of assassins- not stuff I'm normally into, but the storytelling is just so masterful and creative that it's on a whole other level compared to anything else I've seen with those themes.

ibanezmonster

https://www.youtube.com/v/cYkx0TAIXWQ

I looked up the voice actress of K-On!

Wow... *wipes drool off floor* They're practically as adorable as the actual characters.

ibanezmonster

So I finally finished all 148 episodes of Hunter x Hunter (2011).

To make this short: 9.5/10

I already mentioned the Yorknew City arc, but the Chimera Ant arc was also great. The main problem was the pacing, so it felt like a chore to get through all of it. It felt like getting through 200 episodes, rather than 60-something. Regardless, it was well worth watching. Togashi is the best at creating villains- not sure I can think of a more interesting villain than Meruem (Hisoka was also great). Probably only Toguro from Yu Yu Hakusho is on that level of interesting (again, conceived by Togashi). I'd say the highlight of the Chimera Ant arc was for me was Meruem's board games against Komugi, the blind girl.

ibanezmonster

Anyone following Dragon Ball Super?

I just caught up with it. Everyone is complaining about Chichi being Chichi, as usual. The most obnoxious and unlikeable character- no wonder Goku is so eager to leave his family for years at a time and train.

I'm enjoying it despite the negative criticism of it and a couple poorly animated episodes.

The Six

ibanezmonster

So I can't find a link and that looks like it couldn't possibly be real with that ratio of dislikes to likes. The craziest ratio I've ever seen on youtube so far was an ABC news broadcast on Gamergate (57k dislikes, 1k likes). And this one is 1.3 million to 235?  :-X

ibanezmonster

Finished Charlotte, aka "Wasted Potential and Plotholes: The Anime."

This show could have been really good, though it would require a lot of work. IMO, doing something like making it at least 24 episodes, stretching the theme of very last episode across the last 12 of those episodes and trashing the awkward episode 7 might be a good first start. The ideas are awesome, but such poor execution. Basically all of the criticisms from those who didn't enjoy Angel Beats (these both were created by the same guy) I felt applied to this show, even though I really liked Angel Beats and thought nothing of the criticisms of it.

I've been watching anime on my 3DS, which I've found is the best way to watch. I have a long list of anime I want to get through lol...

ibanezmonster

Yesterday finished Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins). Very fun, short fantasy shounen. It has the sort of quick pacing that is quick but not so quick that it nearly gives me a headache (FLCL and Kill la Kill do that to me). Highly enjoyable.

Watching Ergo Proxy, on episode 9 now but should be done by the end of the day tomorrow. This show is truly something special. Not only is it just relentlessly bleak and desolate, but many say is difficult to understand the entire show. The show just doesn't provide enough information, so you have to figure out yourself all of the details that are going on. IMO, the plot is understandable, but some details and occurrences will leave you scratching your head. But that's the fun part of it.

And how can you not like this poster?  8)

ibanezmonster

Finished Ergo Proxy.

See why this show is difficult? Just look at the explanation for the last episode:

QuoteFor those of you that don't get it:

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Ergo Proxy AKA Vincent Law is Double put in place by Proxy One when he came to the revelation that the original humans planned for the proxies to restore humanity on earth and then be destroyed. But Ergo sought out comfort from his loneliness as a Proxy with Monad Proxy (The proxy that created the Mosk dome city), Ergo left the city in order to be with her leaving Mayer in charge of Romdo.

But just like Proxy One, Ergo Proxy struggled with the purpose of his existence and in the end couldn't come to terms with it. Monad Proxy helped him escape it all by absorbing his memories and allowing him to forget and become Vincent Law (even the name Vincent Law means "to conquer order"). This left Monad unstable and in a semi-coma. After a awhile Mayer figured out that without a Proxy's presence the city would start to die off, feeling betrayed Mayer attacked Mosk and captured the now vulnerable Monad Proxy.

Without an active Proxy the Mosk Dome fell apart over time and Ergo Proxy in the human form of Vincent Law left Mosk with the human refugees. At some point during all this, Daedalus acting on Mayer's orders created Re-l, a human clone of Monad proxy in an attempt to create a Proxy He could control as part of system, it should also be noted that judging by the rapid growth rate of Real (yet another Proxy Clone only far less human with far more of the original Monad leftover) that Re-l might not be all that old.

When Vincent law came to Romdo Monad proxy was drawn to him breaking free and seeking him out, well Ergo was drawn to Re-l for similar reasons. But in their feral states Ergo killed Monad, leading to the rest of the story.

Proxy One wants to end it all by doing the only thing that would mean anything at all, ending everything including the experiment that he himself is a part of.

Real is instinctively holding on to both the affection Monad Proxy felt for Ergo & her function as a part of the Proxy soultion and is trying to end the Proxies and their pain. In the end she destroys herself to finish the plan.

The series is asking the philosophical Questions: Do I exist? What am I? Why am I here? and how can I know the truth of these questions?

Proxy One is the Nihilistic answer "The only act that has meaning is the one that ends all others"

Monad/Real is the fatalist answer "We are here to fulfill a predetermined purpose nothing more"

Ergo and Re-l are reflections of these two answers, taking the original's objective views and discarding them in place of relativism. "Every action has meaning for they shape us into who we are, and this is the only truth we call our own. We cannot choose what we are but we can effect whom we will become."

Regardless, it's an incredible show. 9/10.

ibanezmonster

My new MyAnimeList profile:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ibanezmonster

8)

What I'm going to do, unlike before, is to drop any anime I don't like. If I set a goal such as: completely watch all of the anime that are worth watching, then I have the best long-term weapon for battling my recurring depression/lack of energy.

The only thing I've found to give my mind life and not feel like a melted marshmallow is do something that is both 1) fun and 2) goal-oriented at the same time. My idea a while ago was to watch as many anime as possible. However, that means wasting time with many I don't like, which isn't fun, so it didn't work.

I've been using this strategy the last few weeks, and it has been helping me feel better. Nothing quite like the rush you get from marathoning a good show and finishing it. Deviating from this plan... hasn't worked too well.

Henk

Greg, realize that it is (probably with you as well) masturbating (and collecting pics in my case as well) that makes life sad. That's the first step to a better life. One does not have to end it (because it is a consolation as well), but don't let the sadness control your life.

Just make sure you succeed in life instead.
Innocent and guilty. Happy and suffering. Tragedy and comedy. Holy loser.

ibanezmonster

Um... pretty sure that's just your problem lol. Nothing sad about that IMO. What's sad is how ridiculously boring and unfulfilling school and work are.

I'm pretty sure that even if I had the most perfect woman in the world, my mind would end up like that, regardless. The only thing that keeps me happy seems to be continuously striving toward something new and exciting.

ibanezmonster

I found something interesting. From a site called "anikore," which is a Japanese equivalent of MyAnimeList. These are the top rated anime, according to just Japanese people.

Quote1   Steins;Gate   92.7
2   Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2   92.6
3   Bakemonogatari   92.4
3   Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch   92.4
3   Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex   92.4
6   Clannad: After Story   92.3
7   Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu   92.1
8   Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai   91.8
9   Fate/Zero   91.3
10   K-On!!   91.2
11   Chihayafuru   91.1
12   Eureka Seven   91.0
13   Toradora   90.9
14   Shingeki no Kyojin   90.8
15   Sword Art Online   90.7
15   Cowboy Bebop   90.7
17   Angel Beats!   90.6
18   Toaru Kagaku no Railgun   90.4
18   Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica   90.4
18   Hyouka   90.4
21   Neon Genesis Evangelion   90.3
21   Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann   90.3
23   Hanasaku Iroha   90.2
23   Natsume Yuujinchou   90.2
23   Black Lagoon   90.2
26   Clannad   90.1
26   Nisemonogatari   90.1
28   Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG   89.9
29   Usagi Drop   89.8
29   Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   89.8
29   Gintama   89.8
29   Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa   89.8
33   K-On!   89.7
33   Nagi no Asukara   89.7
33   Kaze no Tani no NausicaƤ   89.7
36   Ookami to Koushinryou   89.6
37   Durarara!!   89.5
38   Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru   89.3
38   Planetes   89.3
40   Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu   89.2
41   Mononoke Hime   89.1
42   Psycho-Pass   89.0
42   Macross Frontier   89.0
44   Ga-Rei: Zero   88.9
45   Working'!!   88.8
46   Working!!   88.7
46   Hataraku Maou-sama!   88.7
48   Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo   88.6
48   Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo   88.6
50   Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!   88.5
51   Higurashi no Naku Koro ni   88.4
52   Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha   88.3
53   Tiger & Bunny   88.2
54   Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai   88.1
54   True Tears   88.1
56   Kokoro Connect   88.0
56   Kimi no Todoke   88.0
58   Toaru Majutsu no Index   87.9
58   Toaru Majutsu no Index II   87.9
58   Guilty Crown   87.9
61   Higashi no Eden   87.8
61   K-On! Movie   87.8
63   Nichijou   87.7
64   Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II   87.6
64   Byousuke 5 Centimeter   87.6
66   Ookami to Koushinryou II   87.5
67   Minami-ke   87.4
67   No Game No Life   87.4
69   Tari Tari   87.3
70   Another   87.2
70   Mirai Nikki   87.2
70   Baccano   87.2
73   Kaleido Star   87.1
74   Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu   87.0
74   Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou   87.0
74   Katanagatari   87.0
74   Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou   87.0
74   Elfen Lied   87.0
79   Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   86.9
80   Saki   86.8
81   Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai   86.7
81   Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next   86.7
81   Summer Wars   86.7
81   Natsume Yuujinchou San   86.7
85   Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni!   86.6
86   Lucky☆Star   86.5
86   Death Note   86.5
88   Juuni Kokuki   86.4
89   Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu   86.2
90   Monogatari Series: Second Season   86.0
90   Tonari no Totoro   86.0
92   ef: A Tale of Memories   85.7
93   Fate/Zero 2nd Season   85.6
93   Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei   85.6
95   Seitokai Yakuindomo   85.5
95   Air   85.5
95   Mobile Suit Gundam Seed   85.5
98   Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.   85.4
98   Mushishi   85.4
100   Majo no Takkyuubin   85.3

And here's the top for the Western world:
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?_location=FB_link

Couple observations: in the Japanese version
shockingly high:
Bakemonogatari, K-On!!, Working!, Mirai Nikki, Elfen Lied, Hyouka, Ga-Rei Zero
Ore no Imouto is #1244 for the West, #98 for Japan!  ???

shockingly low:
FMA: Brotherhood, Gintama. High spots, but not considered the very best in Japan.

-Legend of the Galactic Heroes at #9 for the west, used to dominate the top spot years ago, but not even in the top 100 for Japan.

If there is any trend, it seems like the Japanese have more of a taste for melodrama?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Code Geass is way too high on that list! What about Higurashi no naku koro ni so low down??? Imo they should be swapped positions. Nice to see Lucky Star on there though hahaaa

ibanezmonster

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on November 28, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
Code Geass is way too high on that list! What about Higurashi no naku koro ni so low down??? Imo they should be swapped positions. Nice to see Lucky Star on there though hahaaa
Actually, the Japanese rate Higurashi quite a bit higher than Western audiences. I might even say, looking at this list, my tastes are slightly more aligned with the Japanese.

Code Geass, though, is going to be near the top on any site. It's definitely in the top 15 for me, but it sounds like you didn't care for it.  :P

Made a few more observations looking at that list and always going to that site (knowing enough Japanese to navigate it is always helpful)

Add to that, for Japan:

shockingly high: Baka and Test, Ghost in the Shell
shockingly low: Mushishi

Not even on the list. Wow. The left site is the MAL rankings, the right side in parenthesis is the anikore rankings:
5. Hunter x Hunter (2011) (603)
9. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (112)
13. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Us
20. Hajime no Ippo
26. Great Teacher Onizuka
33. Monster (308)
34. Bakuman 3
40. Ping Pong the Animation
49. Rainbow
58. One Piece (103)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Best ED song in recent times?

I have lately found myself enjoying this genre of entertainment. Many brilliant short series such as Erased which I watched pretty much in one day...a little bit predictable, but the element of pathos throughout this series took me on an emotional roller coaster ride I will not forget.

Currently watching Steins;Gate, which I like very much.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: jessop on July 25, 2016, 06:50:04 AM
Quote from: jessop on July 24, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
I'll definitely be giving Les Noces a spin this afternoon! Looking forward to it. :)
NOPE I DID NOT EVEN LISTEN TO THIS TODAY OMG I JUST WATCHED EPISODES 12 THROUGH TO 24 OF STEINS;GATE I CAN'T BELIEVE I PUT THIS ANIME OFF FOR SO LONG OMG WHAT EVEN IS LIFE