Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

greg

Anyone watch any good anime lately?

Just finished Your Lie in April.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/23273/Shigatsu_wa_Kimi_no_Uso

Even though it had such great ratings (#17 on MAL), I didn't watch it immediately because stuff like teen melodrama and a music-centered show don't normally appeal to me (as much as the latter might be a surprise). But the characters are really great, at least, the main two.

The main character meets a violinist who teaches him how to play piano performances with more expression, unlike the mechanic, "true to the score" method that his mom would teach him. And he has to cope with this problem of not being able to hear himself playing after he plays piano for a few minutes.

I could see where this show was going, but still very enjoyable, nonetheless. Great animation and direction.

Definitely going to buy a figurine of Kaori sometime...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

^^^^^^^^^^I will definitely be checking this one out!

I am still exploring some of the highly regarded series which are a few years older, and mainly shorter ones like Madoka Magica. How many episodes is Your Lie in April?

greg

Quote from: jessop on December 29, 2016, 03:20:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^I will definitely be checking this one out!

I am still exploring some of the highly regarded series which are a few years older, and mainly shorter ones like Madoka Magica. How many episodes is Your Lie in April?
22 episodes, plus one special episode.

Wow, just scrolled up and saw this:

Quote from: jessop on September 12, 2016, 03:16:45 AM
What have you seen and can you recommend me any high school romance/slice of life ones that would make me cry?
haha, you'll love this!

A couple others that may somewhat fit that description:
-Ano Hana
-Toradora
-ERASED
-Kokoro Connect

Madoka Magica is a classic, though idk why, but I still have difficulty understanding the details of the storyline even though I watched both the series and the movies. (The third movie is kind of a sequel to the first two). It's the favorite series of a friend of mine.

I'm looking forward to Gintama and especially KonoSuba for the new season. The first season had me dying of laughter. Up there with Saiki K., Nichijou, Gintama and Shimoneta for top comedies.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: greg on December 29, 2016, 05:31:24 PM
22 episodes, plus one special episode.

Wow, just scrolled up and saw this:
haha, you'll love this!

A couple others that may somewhat fit that description:
-Ano Hana
-Toradora
-ERASED
-Kokoro Connect

Madoka Magica is a classic, though idk why, but I still have difficulty understanding the details of the storyline even though I watched both the series and the movies. (The third movie is kind of a sequel to the first two). It's the favorite series of a friend of mine.

I'm looking forward to Gintama and especially KonoSuba for the new season. The first season had me dying of laughter. Up there with Saiki K., Nichijou, Gintama and Shimoneta for top comedies.

Thanks! Erased was actually what rekindled my interest in anime this year. I watched Anohana as well.....but I will add the others to my list :)

Spineur

I learned the death of JirĂ´ Taniguchi....Sadness...

aligreto

The Garden of Words....

This is a superlative piece of anime. The detail in the animation is astounding. This is a short film at 46 minutes duration but one never feels that one is short changed, even for a moment. Simply wonderful.

greg

Quote from: aligreto on March 28, 2017, 09:10:09 AM
The Garden of Words....

This is a superlative piece of anime. The detail in the animation is astounding. This is a short film at 46 minutes duration but one never feels that one is short changed, even for a moment. Simply wonderful.
That was a good one.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aligreto on March 28, 2017, 09:10:09 AM
The Garden of Words....

I noticed it was from the same director as Voices of a Distant Star, which at only 25 minutes I still consider one of the best Anime's I've ever seen.

[asin]B00008G8QC[/asin]

aligreto

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2017, 06:55:19 PM
I noticed it was from the same director as Voices of a Distant Star, which at only 25 minutes I still consider one of the best Anime's I've ever seen.

[asin]B00008G8QC[/asin]

Yes indeed. Also, if you have not seen it I thoroughly recommend 5 centimeters per second. It is a marathon for Shinkai at 60 minutes running time. I plan to watch it again in the not too distant future....

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aligreto on March 29, 2017, 08:44:30 AM
Yes indeed. Also, if you have not seen it I thoroughly recommend 5 centimeters per second. It is a marathon for Shinkai at 60 minutes running time. I plan to watch it again in the not too distant future....

Awesome, I'll definitely check them out. It's been a while since I've watched a good anime series or film. Last one I believe was Attack on Titan, which I really enjoyed!
Maybe enjoyed is not the right word for giant-human-looking creatures eating the heads off of other human-sized humans.  :laugh:

aligreto

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2017, 08:48:09 AM
Awesome, I'll definitely check them out. It's been a while since I've watched a good anime series or film. Last one I believe was Attack on Titan, which I really enjoyed!
Maybe enjoyed is not the right word for giant-human-looking creatures eating the heads off of other human-sized humans.  :laugh:

Cheers. 5 centimeters is a bit depressing/sad but makes for wonderful viewing IMHO, hence it is on my watch list again  :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2017, 08:48:09 AM
Last one I believe was Attack on Titan, which I really enjoyed!

Season 2 is around the corner.  :) Cannot wait how they'll decide to handle some of the plot elements in the manga.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Alberich on March 29, 2017, 09:09:10 AM
Season 2 is around the corner.  :) Cannot wait how they'll decide to handle some of the plot elements in the manga.

I didn't realize there were more seasons on the way! I was actually content with the season one ending, but I'm anxious now to see where it goes. Thanks, Alberich!

Jaakko Keskinen

You're welcome. :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

greg

Currently watching this season:
-DB Super
-Attack on Titan season 2
-Boku no Hero Academia season 2

It's so weird, with me and Attack on Titan. When I finished watching it a few years ago, I thought that was one of the best shows I've ever watched. But now I barely have an interest in it. I barely remember most of it.

I guess some shows have an immediate impact, but don't invade your thoughts much years later, unlike some other shows. There's even some shows, like Musaigen no Phantom World, which I dismissed as not very good, but in retrospect, was quite an enjoyable show to watch. Just weird how that works.

Jaakko Keskinen

Greg, one reason for your lack of interest in AoT could be that the story arc which season 2 covers, "clash of the titans", is not always regarded as the best story arc ever in the manga. I like it just fine but I am not surprised to see that kind of response. No hostile intention or anything, it is always refreshing to see a different point of view.  :)

- Victor Hugo

greg

Quote from: Alberich on April 10, 2017, 06:42:44 AM
Greg, one reason for your lack of interest in AoT could be that the story arc which season 2 covers, "clash of the titans", is not always regarded as the best story arc ever in the manga. I like it just fine but I am not surprised to see that kind of response. No hostile intention or anything, it is always refreshing to see a different point of view.  :)
Actually, it's not about that at all for me. The first 2 episodes of this season have been pretty good, it's just that getting back into that world and with those characters is a bit jarring because of: 1) waiting so long and 2) none of the characters really made a long-term impression on me.

I bet if I had re-watched the entire 1st season right before this season, I'd be overloaded with hype.  :)

aligreto

Patema Inverted....

I really liked the concept of this one.

aligreto

5 Centimeters Per Second....

A series of short, interconnected films about lost love. Sad.