Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe_Campbell

I looked everywhere for an anime series called FMR (seriously). Did you mean FMA? If so, I heard the movie was just OK, though I didn't know they were remaking the series.

Renfield

Quote from: Joe_Campbell on June 01, 2009, 11:53:39 PM
I looked everywhere for an anime series called FMR (seriously). Did you mean FMA? If so, I heard the movie was just OK, though I didn't know they were remaking the series.

Indeed I did. I amalgamated the Japanese title with the English one, as I just told you on Facebook, hence the garbled acronym.

greg

Done with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.... i'm not sure if I've ever watched 13 episodes of anything in 4 or 5 days before. This time I couldn't help it, though.
Now, I have the sick feeling that you get when you're done with a really good TV series (or manga, video game, etc.). I'm lost. What to do now?...... I hear they released a new episode or something, but I'll have to research that more. Maybe I'll watch it again in broadcast order.

Renfield

How did you find the last episode?

Like the rest of the anime, it caught me off my guard: it was predictable. It should have been 'typical'. But somehow it still hit home.

I remember watching it another time after it finished, after I'd confirmed the exact lyrics of the 'Accende lumen sensibus'.

greg

Of course, I loved it! My favorite line was when he wakes up and gets embarassed in front of himself, and says, "What the hell was that dream? Freud would have a field day with this." Reeeeaaallllyyy? ;D ;D ;D
And they never say whether or not the new world was recreated by Haruhi or not. I guess it's just a mystery.

Another thing I liked about the show was the interactions between the characters- mainly Haruhi, Kyon, and Mikuru. Somehow she gets them to do anything for her- actually, she could get anyone to do anything for her, such as the extortion technique used against the Computer Club.

And the Shostakovich melody played with computer beeps was sweet! :D

greg

Anyone ever watch Elfen Lied?
I'm on episode 4, and I don't know what to say... it's exactly what I'm looking for.

One thing that got me interested was that it was the only show rated a 10/10 by a reviewer on youtube called "Mr.Anime." (and he's obviously seen tons of anime). He also warns about the violence and nudity. Good move.

The show starts off with a completely naked lady killing tons of policemen in very brutal ways- stabbing them in the eyes with flying pencils, ripping them in half, tearing off their limbs, ripping out their heart, all with blood totally filling the screen.

It gets darker, and the characters tend to cry all the time, but it seems to be deep and some of the most depressing stuff you can possibly watch (like Welcome to the NHK), but mixed with playfulness because of the character Nyu, who is just like Chii from Chobits. Excellent combination. Can't wait to see more.  0:)

henry

Quote from: Greg on August 07, 2009, 07:29:07 PM
Anyone ever watch Elfen Lied?
I'm on episode 4, and I don't know what to say... it's exactly what I'm looking for.

One thing that got me interested was that it was the only show rated a 10/10 by a reviewer on youtube called "Mr.Anime." (and he's obviously seen tons of anime). He also warns about the violence and nudity. Good move.

The show starts off with a completely naked lady killing tons of policemen in very brutal ways- stabbing them in the eyes with flying pencils, ripping them in half, tearing off their limbs, ripping out their heart, all with blood totally filling the screen.

I have not watched Elfen Lied, but I have listened to and liked its theme song, Lilium.  I don't know what genre the song falls into, but it's a beautiful piece.

greg

Quote from: henry on August 07, 2009, 09:41:56 PM
I have not watched Elfen Lied, but I have listened to and liked its theme song, Lilium.  I don't know what genre the song falls into, but it's a beautiful piece.
Mmm... I don't know, either... J-Pop?  ???
(maybe not...)

So, in episode 4 you get to see a girl who gets into a fight and has all 4 of her limbs ripped off, one by one, until she's stuck on the ground with no arms or legs. Then her "Papa" comes to see her, and she tells him how much of a disappointment she must be to him. She's taken back to an operating room, and the guy has to stick a needle into her and put her to sleep (not an operation, but to die), while she smiles gently and says "Goodbye, Papa." Expressionist anime, perhaps?  ;D

greg

So... finished Elfen Lied today (it's only 13 episodes, which ends up being ~4 1/2 hours long).
I don't want to be too hasty, but I've thought about it and I have to say it- this is the best show I've watched in my life.

Now, on to read the manga!  ;D

greg

So... I did some research, and it turns out that   ' "Elfenlied" (lit. "elf song") is a poem written in German by Eduard Mörike that was adapted into a lied by Hugo Wolf.'

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Anime (and all other kind of plinky blinky blinky bing bing nervous beep purple hyperactive stuff) is the side of Japan, which anti attracts me.

greg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on August 09, 2009, 07:56:25 PM
Anime (and all other kind of plinky blinky blinky bing bing nervous beep purple hyperactive stuff) is the side of Japan, which anti attracts me.
Then you'd love Elfen Lied, which is the opposite of that. (I just realized that almost all of the story goes on at night...)

Okay... a two more scenes that are incredible- and incredibly gory.

Seriously, watch these- not so "plinky blinky blinky bing bing nervous beep purple hyperactive" are they?  $:)

1-
The little kid is the protagonist when he's little. The girl with the pink hair is a girl he made friends with, and the other two are his sister and dad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/aO_kUms1L24&feature=PlayList&p=7FF58D06F93591A3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

2-
The dog and the other girl are the pink-haired girl's only friends in the world (just to explain).
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/heLjTX1VksE

Diletante

Ah, Elfen Lied. I saw a few episodes, gory!

And I just learned the title comes from a Hugo Wolf lied, cool.
Orgullosamente diletante.

greg

Quote from: tanuki on August 09, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
Ah, Elfen Lied. I saw a few episodes, gory!

And I just learned the title comes from a Hugo Wolf lied, cool.
The only thing is, it sounds nothing like it!  :o
Maybe I'm missing something?...

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Greg on August 09, 2009, 08:50:31 PMThe little kid is the protagonist when he's little. The girl with the pink hair is a girl he made friends with, and the other two are his sister and dad.
I do not see the point of attraction here.

In this case I'd prefer the original footage on teh interwebb (liveleak.net, formerly ogrish.com) - but these days I do not anymore feel like ;) My curiosity is now at zero after I've seen a couple of the most disgusting and terrible real things. No more need to see people quartered and whatever has ever happened around the world.

I prefer good classical music and a beer.

greg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on August 10, 2009, 06:28:37 AM
I prefer good classical music
Hey, I like that stuff, too!  :D

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Greg on August 09, 2009, 08:50:31 PM
Then you'd love Elfen Lied, which is the opposite of that. (I just realized that almost all of the story goes on at night...)

Okay... a two more scenes that are incredible- and incredibly gory.

I remember those scenes! I kept thinking: why did he lie to her about his cousin?!!!

greg

Quote from: Joe_Campbell on August 10, 2009, 05:11:58 PM
I remember those scenes! I kept thinking: why did he lie to her about his cousin?!!!
To avoid making her feel jealous. (Obviously, in this show it's perfectly natural for cousins to be like that...)
She liked him, and didn't have any friends, so if she couldn't have him, I guess she felt like she would be back to nothing.
"I just don't know what I'd do if his cousin were a girl..."

eyeresist

Quote from: Wurstwasser on August 09, 2009, 07:56:25 PM
There is anime you would enjoy, but you probably won't encounter it in this thread.

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Greg on August 10, 2009, 08:35:30 PM
To avoid making her feel jealous. (Obviously, in this show it's perfectly natural for cousins to be like that...)
She liked him, and didn't have any friends, so if she couldn't have him, I guess she felt like she would be back to nothing.
"I just don't know what I'd do if his cousin were a girl..."
Oh...I understood this perfectly. From what I gathered, though, he didn't at the time have a crush on his cousin, and he could have told Nyu his cousin was a girl and assured her it was platonic. Honesty, I say! It minimalizes blood shed!