Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: Greg on April 28, 2010, 06:21:05 AM
Interweb?
I have no idea... looked it up.

I know what it means. Obviously my irony was TOO ironic in this case. :?

greg

Quote from: eyeresist on April 28, 2010, 06:24:44 PM
I know what it means. Obviously my irony was TOO ironic in this case. :?
Yeah, probably.

greg

Finished Claymore......... not. Got to episode 21 (out of 26) and just couldn't bear the thought of 6 more episodes.

I've never seen a show with such a lack of charm quite like this one. One of the grayeset, most drab things I've ever watched. It never tries to have any moments of charm at all (maybe that's not a bad thing- I remember watching GI Joe in theaters, and the attempted charm/charisma in the movie was beyond a spectacular failure) but instead just goes from one messed up storyline to the next with constant gory battles.

Let's just say that the monsters (the "Yoma") attack villages, and there's scenes where, for example, Yoma attack a household- a little girl hides under the bed while she watches her sister sacrifice herself and get ripped open, guts torn out and eaten alive. ???

Overall, I wouldn't say it's "bad", but the "lack of charm" aspect really bothered me. Even in the most serious of anime, you feel different things throughout the show other than "man, that's harsh." It just didn't feel like there were that many contrasting elements to ponder.

But, I don't think I'll be watching anything for a while, since I've lost interest lately. Full Metal Alchemist and LOGH are the ones I want to focus on eventually, but they're so long...

greg

Hmm... I guess I didn't mention that I've been watching the second season of K-On! (titled "K-On!!"). A new episode comes out every week, and it's up to 10 so far- though I suspect there will only be a few more.

Just wanted to share my favorite episode of Kino's Journey:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/drama/watch/v18277173PjX6QanH

The best word I've heard to describe this show- "cerebral." The concepts are just unbelievably strange, and told in the most detached, unopinionated way possible.

drogulus

Quote from: Greg on June 20, 2010, 08:04:04 AM
Hmm... I guess I didn't mention that I've been watching the second season of K-On! (titled "K-On!!"). A new episode comes out every week, and it's up to 10 so far- though I suspect there will only be a few more.

Just wanted to share my favorite episode of Kino's Journey:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/drama/watch/v18277173PjX6QanH

The best word I've heard to describe this show- "cerebral." The concepts are just unbelievably strange, and told in the most detached, unopinionated way possible.

Train tracks turning abruptly at a 90 degree angle are very cerebral. 
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on June 20, 2010, 08:50:16 AM
     Train tracks turning abruptly at a 90 degree angle are very cerebral. 
Lol, I didn't even notice that.  :D
Probably my favorite part of the episode was the ending story. These are like tragicomedy fables or something- democracy taking a turn for the ABSOLUTE worst.  :D I remember one day at lunch I had everyone laughing as I told the stories of this episode (and a couple others).

greg

Just finished watching the movie Paprika.
Very trippy, well done, and just all around excellent!  :o

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Greg on July 05, 2010, 05:58:34 PM
Just finished watching the movie Paprika.
Very trippy, well done, and just all around excellent!  :o
I can't believe you just saw that! Wasn't it amazing? A great prep for Inception, I say.

ninja format edit

greg

Quote from: Joe_Campbell on July 07, 2010, 02:23:41 AM
I can't believe you just/i] saw that! Wasn't it amazing? A great prep for Inception, I say.
No, it's not a coincidence. I saw you mention it on facebook, and had an uncontrollable urge to watch it.

And I'm glad I did!

Joe_Campbell

greg

Man, they have a manga for everything...
such as Shakespeare:
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/Section/CliffsNotes-The-Manga-Editions.id-310791.html

(i just can't imagine that turning out good for some reason), and I've seen a series of manga that teaches calculus, accounting, and physics among other subjects.

Currently just following the second season of K-On (called "K-On!!")... they come out with a new episode each week, so the next one will be 20. Such a pointless show (every episode they just mess around doing random stuff, neglecting practice), but a good place to put the mind, anyways.

Also on episode 7/24 of a new series I've been watching called "Durarara." It's about a kid that moves to a part of Tokyo, "Ikebukuro," and there are motorcycle gangs and a mysterious "Headless Rider" who is in search of her lost head. It's really funny at moments (though not a comedy) and all around a good show, but I haven't been hooked- after all, I started the first episode probably 2 weeks ago.

Philoctetes

This is so adorable. I love how they depict 9-11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanis-tan

CD

*awaits shitstorm*

Philoctetes

Quote from: Corey on August 16, 2010, 04:38:54 PM
*awaits shitstorm*

It's actually historically accurate as well.

CD

I meant more about the "Cat named Al-Qaeda biting America", but I guess T3r354 nor Sa_l read this thread, so no worries.

greg

Quote from: Corey on August 16, 2010, 09:47:37 PM
I meant more about the "Cat named Al-Qaeda biting America", but I guess T3r354 nor Sa_l read this thread, so no worries.
Yeah, probably a good thing. This is a special, magical thread- no need for it to degenerate into a political flamewar.  8)

Speaking of Inception, it's already ranked #3 on the IMDB top 250:
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

:o

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on August 17, 2010, 02:21:56 PM
Yeah, probably a good thing. This is a special, magical thread- no need for it to degenerate into a political flamewar.  8)

Speaking of Inception, it's already ranked #3 on the IMDB top 250:
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

:o

That list is pretty depressing.

greg

Why? What do you think should be in the top 10?

CD

The Dark Knight ain't even in the top 1000 for me.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on August 17, 2010, 04:18:02 PM
Why? What do you think should be in the top 10?

I could create a list if you wanted, but I had to get number 36 before I even considered a film for my top ten.