Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 17, 2010, 06:24:45 PM
I could create a list if you wanted, but I had to get number 36 before I even considered a film for my top ten.
Interesting. Sure, make a quick little list.  :D
I'm not sure what to think of the list. It's just what it is, I guess. Personally, out of what is on the list, I would have put included in the top 10: Life Is Beautiful, The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Se7en, Monty Python, and District 9, maybe even Grave of the Fireflies...

12 Angry Men is interesting to see up there. It's pretty good, but #8?  :o (and I could say the same for many of the others)

Philoctetes

This is just a quick list, so it won't be my official one, but here it goes....

1a. Cries and Whispers
1b. Breaking the Waves

The Dreamers
Three Times
The Secret of the Grain
Spy Game
The Bourne Series
Blame it on Fidel
Germany Year Zero

greg

I've never seen any of those except The Bourne Ultimatum... can't even remember if I've seen that one or not for sure.  :D (if it's the one where he comes out of the sea with amnesia, I have seen it- and it was pretty good)

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on August 19, 2010, 05:12:02 AM
I've never seen any of those except The Bourne Ultimatum... can't even remember if I've seen that one or not for sure.  :D (if it's the one where he comes out of the sea with amnesia, I have seen it- and it was pretty good)

That was The Bourne Identity, and I agree, it was good.

greg

I found a site which has anime transcripts in both Japanese and English:
http://www1.atwiki.com/animetranscripts/

Just watched part of Haruhi Suzumiya today- the whole episode range from when they start filming their own movie up to "The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru episode 00," which is where they actually show the movie they worked so hard to make.
The result is a hilariously awful film. My throat hurts from laughing so much... now I remember why I like this show- it has its own unique sense of humor.

greg

Quote from: Greg on August 22, 2010, 06:59:41 PM
I found a site which has anime transcripts in both Japanese and English:
http://www1.atwiki.com/animetranscripts/
This is almost all I've been doing for the last month. The funnest way to learn a language I've ever come across... watching Haruhi Suzumiya endlessly, and the more I watch it, the more I appreciate some of the witty details and how it's a really great show if you look at it a certain way.

Also, I just realized while watching the episode "The Day of Sagittarius" that the opening music sounded familiar. Wait... I look it up and see that it was from Daphnis et Chloe, which I had been getting into recently. Shosty's 7th, Tchaikovsky's 4th AND Daphnis et Chloe (and Mahler's 8th in another episode)... wow, the director just might have great taste in music, maybe?  ;D

Guido

Quote from: Greg on September 25, 2010, 09:34:15 AM
This is almost all I've been doing for the last month. The funnest way to learn a language I've ever come across... watching Haruhi Suzumiya endlessly, and the more I watch it, the more I appreciate some of the witty details and how it's a really great show if you look at it a certain way.

Also, I just realized while watching the episode "The Day of Sagittarius" that the opening music sounded familiar. Wait... I look it up and see that it was from Daphnis et Chloe, which I had been getting into recently. Shosty's 7th, Tchaikovsky's 4th AND Daphnis et Chloe (and Mahler's 8th in another episode)... wow, the director just might have great taste in music, maybe?  ;D

I remember someone telling me that often the English dubbed versions have very little in common with the originals.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

greg

Quote from: Guido on September 26, 2010, 01:49:16 AM
I remember someone telling me that often the English dubbed versions have very little in common with the originals.
I've never watched the dubs, so that might be interesting to check out. There are only two anime with dubs that actually sounded good to me that I can think of right now: Cowboy Bebop and Afro Samurai (w/ Samuel L. Jackson doing the voices). (When I watch some of them with dubs, I can't believe how awful they sound)!  :o :D

I also want to read the series of light novels that started the whole series. The first few pages of the English version seemed promising, though if I could get a hold of the original Japanese....  8)

Ciel_Rouge

Hi Greg, totally agree on the dubs sounding bad - to me they can make even a good anime seem dull and dumbed down. It's been a while since I last visited the forum - meanwhile, anime-wise, I still intend to resume watching Nodame Cantabile - it was very strange to hear a Brahms symphony going in with full power all of a sudden in one of the episodes. Strange how many magnificent pieces they used - I suppose watching the series is a good way to get acqainted with the classical :) On a side not - Greg, what do you think about cosplay and cosplayers? I have seen cosplayers doing the Polka character from the Eternal Sonata (the game featuring Chopin as the main character). I wonder whether there was an anime series based on the game, any news about that?

greg

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on October 22, 2010, 12:56:10 PM
Hi Greg, totally agree on the dubs sounding bad - to me they can make even a good anime seem dull and dumbed down. It's been a while since I last visited the forum - meanwhile, anime-wise, I still intend to resume watching Nodame Cantabile - it was very strange to hear a Brahms symphony going in with full power all of a sudden in one of the episodes. Strange how many magnificent pieces they used - I suppose watching the series is a good way to get acqainted with the classical :) On a side not - Greg, what do you think about cosplay and cosplayers? I have seen cosplayers doing the Polka character from the Eternal Sonata (the game featuring Chopin as the main character). I wonder whether there was an anime series based on the game, any news about that?
Did you get to read my post before it was erased?

Ciel_Rouge

Nope. Please PM it to me or something :)

greg

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on October 27, 2010, 12:51:51 PM
Nope. Please PM it to me or something :)
(hoping you got the pm)

I just finished watching Eve no Jikan. It's an OVA of 6 episodes at 15 min. each, so it's only ~2 hours long.

The show is basically about a robots and their relationship with humans. The main characters make some discoveries that take place in a cafe, where robots and humans are meant to be treated equally.

It has a very straightforward, modern tone to it. There's no action at all- just dialogue between normal people. I'm not sure I like the style, since to me it just seems a bit too plain. It is very highly regardly, and I can understand why, though.

greg

I'm not sure if I should keep on watching Durarara... it's a fine show, but not very interesting. I don't feel compelled. However, I would like to say that I watched the whole thing.

Ciel_Rouge

Hi Greg, yes I got the PM, tnx. By the way - I once stumbled upon some information about an anime that is themed around cooking with a chef as a main character. As I recently got a bit more into cooking as well, it might be interested to watch but I have no idea what the title was.

greg

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on November 06, 2010, 06:19:08 AM
Hi Greg, yes I got the PM, tnx. By the way - I once stumbled upon some information about an anime that is themed around cooking with a chef as a main character. As I recently got a bit more into cooking as well, it might be interested to watch but I have no idea what the title was.
I remember one, but it was a kids' show that used to come on Saturday mornings.  :D

greg

I'm not going to finish Durarara. Just hasn't captured my attention enough.

I was rewatching some Evangelion clips... truly a disturbing experience.  :D

Asuka's Mind Rape:
http://www.youtube.com/v/YxQKRRs83ko
Pure insanity...

The Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/v/KEDI7SaEW6Y
Incredibly ethereal atmosphere here...

greg

School Days

(I'll just go ahead and say what happens in this because no one will watch it anyways)
This is a short, 12 episode romance series, but with a twist.

The main character, a guy named Makoto, starts dating a girl. Blah, blah, blah... seems like a boring high school romance drama during the first half of the series. However, things start to slowly spiral out of control. He starts cheating on his first girlfriend- but then, later, he just ends up moving from one to the next until he ends up doing too many of them, all the while the girls getting jealous.

The anime ending:
QuoteIn the anime version, Sekai believes she is pregnant with Makoto's child, but is asked to get an abortion by Makoto; however, she is told to go to the hospital to confirm her pregnancy only to find it to be a misunderstanding. Under the emotional stress induced by Makoto's request, she stabs him in the stomach to death with a kitchen knife. Soon after, Kotonoha discovers Makoto's dead body and calls Sekai to the roof of the school using Makoto's cellphone. After a brief exchange, where Kotonoha shows Sekai the school bag with Makoto's severed head inside, Kotonoha attacks and kills Sekai with the backsaw that she cut off Makoto's head with, then cuts her womb open in search of the fetus. Finding nothing, she concludes that Sekai lied about her pregnancy. The ending scene shows Kotonoha on her family yacht clinging to Makoto's severed head.

In the visual novel:
QuoteThe final three endings featured in the game are the three bad endings which involve the death of one of the three main characters (either Makoto, Sekai, or Kotonoha) in violent circumstances. In one of these endings, Kotonoha kills Sekai in broad daylight with a saw to the neck; in another, Sekai stabs Makoto for leaving her for Kotonoha; and in the last bad end, Kotonoha kills herself by jumping off Makoto's apartment building after he chooses Sekai

After watching this, I feel a bit sick. Very disturbing... it also doesn't mention that, after they show Kotonoha with Makoto's severed head in her arms at the end, after the credits scroll, it shows a minute or two from the very beginning of the show. "There's this girl I see on the train... I don't know her name, but just seeing her lightens up my day." The contrast between pure insanity and that just makes my head want to explode.

This show was so f****ed up. Excuse me while I go throw up... and then smile afterwards, admiring how it can make a person feel that way.  :D

ibanezmonster

An average rating of 9.48/10 after 1613 votes?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9969/Gintama

That's a pretty high rating...