Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Legend of Galactic Heroes is one I should see one day, as I like a good space opera. I'll have to pick up one of those pirate DVD sets, as there'll never be an official English release.

FMA I just never really took to. Saw the first ep of Brotherhood and found it annoying, worse art and more "comedy" than the first series, though I can't really judge by one episode; it may improve.

Aria is BORING! (only saw the first series) The problem is that there's almost no drama, i.e. struggle or conflict, which even the lightest comedy needs to keep things going. It's just "stuff happening", and the characters are too generic to make up for this.

I've enjoyed the Eva Rebuild movies, 1 more than 2. Final verdict will depend on how things develop from here (not sure if there are one or two films to come).

Code Geass series ended on a big cliffhanger, so I can't really judge until series 2 becomes affordable.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: eyeresist on June 26, 2011, 07:56:35 PM

The replacements for L just weren't very interesting.

Oh, come on, now! Mello is probably the best character of all! He's pure emotion and awesomeness!  8)

Although I love L, he (and many other characters) is kind of hypocrite. As long as murderers are sentenced to death, it's okay, but if you personally kill someone who would probably receive capital punishment anyway, then it is just horrible. Although, to be fair, Light could have killed falsely accused persons and very soon he starts to kill anyone who would get in the way and thus becoming worse than many of his victims. And I know that L, Near and Mello were intended to be morally ambiguous because good against evil is not nearly as interesting as gray against grey/black.

Btw, did you know that according to Ohba, Near is actually more ruthless than Mello and he is way more vicious than he looks.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on June 30, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
Legend of Galactic Heroes is one I should see one day, as I like a good space opera. I'll have to pick up one of those pirate DVD sets, as there'll never be an official English release.

FMA I just never really took to. Saw the first ep of Brotherhood and found it annoying, worse art and more "comedy" than the first series, though I can't really judge by one episode; it may improve.

Aria is BORING! (only saw the first series) The problem is that there's almost no drama, i.e. struggle or conflict, which even the lightest comedy needs to keep things going. It's just "stuff happening", and the characters are too generic to make up for this.

I've enjoyed the Eva Rebuild movies, 1 more than 2. Final verdict will depend on how things develop from here (not sure if there are one or two films to come).

Code Geass series ended on a big cliffhanger, so I can't really judge until series 2 becomes affordable.
Very interesting!
I saw the first episodes of both FMA, so I kind of see what you mean. FMA:Brotherhood is supposed to be extremely fast-paced while sticking to the original manga, or something. Everyone likes it, but neither of those first episodes convinced me, so it'll be fun once I actually decide to get into it whether I like it or not.

Aria... hmm, maybe I'll watch that after Brotherhood so I'll find it relaxing.  ;D

Quote from: Alberich on July 01, 2011, 11:11:09 AM
Oh, come on, now! Mello is probably the best character of all! He's pure emotion and awesomeness!  8)

Although I love L, he (and many other characters) is kind of hypocrite. As long as murderers are sentenced to death, it's okay, but if you personally kill someone who would probably receive capital punishment anyway, then it is just horrible. Although, to be fair, Light could have killed falsely accused persons and very soon he starts to kill anyone who would get in the way and thus becoming worse than many of his victims. And I know that L, Near and Mello were intended to be morally ambiguous because good against evil is not nearly as interesting as gray against grey/black.

Btw, did you know that according to Ohba, Near is actually more ruthless than Mello and he is way more vicious than he looks.
Ugghh... what sucks is that either my memory of what I watch is really bad, or it's just been a while since I've watched it. I've forgotten who Near and Mello are. Is Near 'N'?  :-\ :'(

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on July 01, 2011, 02:14:22 PM
Ugghh... what sucks is that either my memory of what I watch is really bad, or it's just been a while since I've watched it. I've forgotten who Near and Mello are. Is Near 'N'?  :-\ :'(

Yes, Near is N, that blonde pyjama kid, who plays with toys, other one of L's successors. And Mello is that lady look-a-like (at least until he gets his awesome scar) chocolate eating mobster, another L's successor. :P
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Great Teacher Onizuka
9/10
I'm glad I ended up watching this show. Wonderful!

The plot is basically: Onizuka, a former gang member, punk, wild guy, becomes a teacher.
The show is layed out in a unique way: it is a linear story, but due to the nature of having every episode being a new school day, it "feels" episodic. However, along the way, subtle things change and there is a new story arc every 1-3 episodes. For example, from the beginning, his whole class hates him, but by the end, everyone changes and ends up liking him, because he goes out of his way, risking his life to help out his students.

He and the vice principal are some of the most memorable characters I've seen in a show. The whole joke with Onizuka accidentally crashing his new car again and again (his "Cresta") is hilarious.

Above all, this show is hilarious, unpredictable and simply fun to watch!  :D Highly recommended!

Here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Hz39z-e9e7I&feature=related

ibanezmonster

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch (Season 1 and 2)
9/10

I won't spoil the second season for eyeresist, but watch out!  :o
As the series progresses, the character Zero and Lelouch becomes more and more ambiguous, and only until the final few minutes of the show is his true nature revealed. Just as a warning... you'll be scratching your head through most of the second season.

I don't know how to convey in words how epic, profound, mind-bending, etc. all that I just watched was. I'm too tired now to think of anything to write, but I'll just say that experiencing show (or at least, if you don't like this show in particular, a work of art that has a similar effect) is very important.

In other words, I'm just too shocked at how good this show is... how do people even go about creating such a masterpiece? The only downside is that I feel like such a small mind now, looking up at the genius brain of whoever wrote the show (written by: Ichiro Oukouchi, directed by: Gorou Taniguchi).

A guess of the message of the show, amidst all of the ambiguity:
QuoteColumnist Carlo Santos of Anime News Network wrote that the franchise "in a way, [...] reflects the malaise of a generation: the realization that old, rich, powerful people have screwed up the world and that the young are helpless to do anything about it". According to him, Lelouch's actions exemplify the wish to see problems like "economic collapse, class conflict, political instability, radical extremism" solved by "Zero's vigilante methods" but Santos expresses doubt in such an approach and concludes that "the series is at its best when raising questions rather than offering a final solution".[62]

Join the rebellion!  :D

eyeresist

Glad to hear the 2nd season will be worth watching. I'll save my lavish praise for after that.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Carlos Santos. Generally, the opposite of his opinion is what I think.

ibanezmonster

The second season is, basically, a much more intense and devastating roller coaster ride filled with really clever and unimaginable plot twists (though the show does continue to stretch believability and outlandishness).

One thing I forgot to mention- two parts of the show irritated me like crazy. The plot twist with Euphemia (you know what I'm talking about) actually made me angry at the show because it seemed like such a cheap shot at basically, continuing the show. Something else midway through the second season made me feel the same way, too.

But... all of this is explained in the end.  ;)

I haven't read any of Carlos Santos reviews, so I don't know what to think about him, but I thought that explanation was a likely possibility. Maybe...

eyeresist

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2011, 07:50:16 PM
The second season is, basically, a much more intense and devastating roller coaster ride filled with really clever and unimaginable plot twists (though the show does continue to stretch believability and outlandishness).

Thanks, I was wondering about this!

ibanezmonster

eyeresist

Yeah, Spice+Wolf interests me, but I haven't got around to it.

Currently watching Supernatural the Anime. Very disappointing. The graphics are garish, the acting lacks all subtlety, the music is tonally wrong, the plots are moronically simplistic, the dialog is generic and superficial.

ibanezmonster

I guess it would be disappointing considering the good stuff Madhouse has made...

ibanezmonster

Speaking of Madhouse, they have made a new movie which is said to have some of the most impressive animation to date.

Redline

http://www.youtube.com/v/3gIsYu5at94

I don't know if I'd like it, being a racing movie, but supposedly it's extremely good.

ibanezmonster

Nichijou
7/10

(Just finished this because the show just finished airing, though I mentioned it earlier. I don't think I will ever watch an on-going anime ever again- I hate waiting for shows to finish airing before I can determine when I can finish them).

"Nichijou" means "everyday life," except that this show is basically a slice-of-life show with tons of wacky things happening. The humor ranges from some form of anti-humor which I didn't quite get (the Helvetica Standard clips) to extremely funny situations that will make you die of laughter. (the soundtrack, as I mentioned, is excellent- very much Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf-influenced)

Some elements include: a scene where the principal is outside wrestling a deer, a household with a professor who is a little girl who lives with a robot she created and a talking cat, a fictional sport named "Igo Soccer," where you kick pieces from the board game, Go, like a soccer ball, etc.

Here's a clip: the guy riding to school on his goat at the beginning is the crush of the main character of the show (the blue-haired girl, Mio). She is a manga artist who draws dirty pictures of him and keeps them hidden, because she is embarrassed about it.

When she is discovered, she takes down the cop, her friend, some random guy in a top hat that walks up, and that guy's goat.  :D
Probably the best scene in the show...

Mio's Secret
http://www.youtube.com/v/oxl2kMq3RRM&NR=1

eyeresist

I like the art style.

ibanezmonster

I actually had to get used to the art style at first... a bit different from what KyoAni normally does.

The show was a complete flop in terms of sales and popularity. I wonder what KyoAni will do next? It seems to be most likely a Haruhi sequel (they have yet to cover all of the Haruhi novels) or an adaptation of a newer Key visual novel.

ibanezmonster

The Tatami Galaxy (aka "Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei")
9/10

This is an absolutely wonderful show. It is about a college student who decides how to spend his college years, and each episode is a replay of him, but making a different decision each time.
The art style is something to get used to- not traditional anime style at all. It is very creative and imaginative, though.
Not it does it really stimulate the mind with both its endlessly flowing dialogue (well, lots of monologue) and its conclusion that concerns the portrayal of many separate realities, but it is also a pretty funny show.

Very highly recommended- and only 11 episodes, so it can easily be watched in a day.

Coco

I watched an anime pretty recently (kind of entry level but still):

Definitely the best of the Miyazakis I've seen — I loved the design of the characters and the creatures and the story is intriguing, if a bit preachy.

ibanezmonster

Urrghhh... I just realize I haven't seen that one (even though I've been meaning to for a couple of years now, but have forgotten).  :-[
Well, that's alright- I'll be looking forward to it.  8)

My favorite Miyazaki movies are somewhat unlikely to be favorites- Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle. Although I like his stuff, the problem I have with his movies are that they just feel too light for me (especially something like My Neighbor Totoro- perfect example of this). The musical equivalent of his whole aesthetic is impressionism, easily. Although with both I might listen/watch and enjoy quite a bit, often I leave with a hunger for something with more tension, substance, depth, or something to that effect.

Miyazaki movies I haven't seen yet:
-Nausicaa
-Castle in the Sky
-Porco Rosso

and non-Miyazaki Studio Ghibli:
-Only Yesterday
-Ocean Waves
-Pom Poko
-Whisper of the Heart
-My Neighbors the Yamadas
-The Cat Returns
-Tales from Earthsea
and the two newer ones,
-The Secret World of Arietty
-From Up on Poppy Hill

Coco

Quote from: Greg on October 07, 2011, 07:27:34 PM
My favorite Miyazaki movies are somewhat unlikely to be favorites- Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle. Although I like his stuff, the problem I have with his movies are that they just feel too light for me (especially something like My Neighbor Totoro- perfect example of this). The musical equivalent of his whole aesthetic is impressionism, easily. Although with both I might listen/watch and enjoy quite a bit, often I leave with a hunger for something with more tension, substance, depth, or something to that effect.

I think you'll love Nausicaa then, because I have the same exact problem with Miyazaki's other movies. The story is quite dark (takes place in the distant future on a ruined Earth) and there are lots of great battle scenes. The technology is really cool — a mix of futuristic and medieval weaponry (or "steampunk" I guess).