Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on October 08, 2011, 09:53:55 AM
I think you'll love Nausicaa then, because I have the same exact problem with Miyazaki's other movies. The story is quite dark (takes place in the distant future on a ruined Earth) and there are lots of great battle scenes. The technology is really cool — a mix of futuristic and medieval weaponry (or "steampunk" I guess).
Sounds cool.  :)

ibanezmonster

Ga-Rei Zero
9/10

This is a story about a family of exorcists who battle demons (specifically 2 sisters).
The show starts off not so good and the post-ending (last few minutes after the ending) is not so good, either, but the vast majority of it really is quality (other than a few things/moments that are kinda wth? awkward if you think about it).

The show is mainly: action and trauma, with a bit of comedy sprinkled in the middle. When the many traumatic things do happen, you have sympathy for the characters- very affecting and hits that cathartic spot. (Also, it's short- I was able to watch the whole thing this evening alone).

Now, I think I'll just sit in the corner all day tomorrow and stare out into space, feeling bad for the characters and traumatized. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note: my last show I rated as if I enjoyed it better (9 > 8 ), but that's not the case- I think it was slightly better in terms of "quality," but I think I enjoyed this slightly more. Not sure if I should rate based on what I feel is quality or how much I enjoy it...  ::)

edit: changed score to a 9

ibanezmonster

Just finished Nausicaa. Pretty good movie- reminds me of Princess Mononoke, except I enjoyed this one a little bit more. Probably what I liked most about it was the interesting world it took place in.

ibanezmonster

Porco Rosso
8/10

Okay, I now know what my favorite Miyazaki movie is.  :o
I had a feeling I would like this... maybe it's because it's about a WWI fighter pilot who is a pig?
Anyways, this movie is basically cool, fun, and goofy all at the same time.

...just gotta watch Castle in the Sky and I've seen all of the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies.

Coco

Quote from: Greg on October 11, 2011, 06:48:42 PM

Porco Rosso
8/10

Okay, I now know what my favorite Miyazaki movie is.  :o
I had a feeling I would like this... maybe it's because it's about a WWI fighter pilot who is a pig?
Anyways, this movie is basically cool, fun, and goofy all at the same time.

...just gotta watch Castle in the Sky and I've seen all of the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies.

I liked that one a lot. Need to rewatch. I also need to see CitS

Watched the first few episodes of this last night:

Love it. Can't wait to watch the rest.

ibanezmonster

Oh yeah, that one is definitely on my list of shows to look forward to. Satoshi Kon tends to have surrealist-type stuff, and I am definitely a fan of surrealism.  :D

Have you seen Paprika? Joe Campbell recommended it to me a long time ago, and I thought the movie was very impressive- it's like Inception, except it came out in 2006 instead of 2010. And if you ask me, I thought it was a slightly better movie, too.

Coco

Quote from: Greg on October 12, 2011, 06:48:29 AM
Oh yeah, that one is definitely on my list of shows to look forward to. Satoshi Kon tends to have surrealist-type stuff, and I am definitely a fan of surrealism.  :D

Have you seen Paprika? Joe Campbell recommended it to me a long time ago, and I thought the movie was very impressive- it's like Inception, except it came out in 2006 instead of 2010. And if you ask me, I thought it was a slightly better movie, too.

Yeah, it was pretty great. It's funny you mention Inception's similarity because my friend said the same thing. I'd like to see Kon's other full-lengths also. I think you'd really dig Paranoia Agent.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on October 12, 2011, 07:31:03 AM
Yeah, it was pretty great. It's funny you mention Inception's similarity because my friend said the same thing. I'd like to see Kon's other full-lengths also. I think you'd really dig Paranoia Agent.
I might actually watch that soon- only being 13 episodes, I might just watch it one day before work.

Stylistically, it's wonderful. However, I have two big problems with it.
1) the over-realism or whatever you call it (probably no name for it) gets annoying after a while. What I mean is, everyone is clumsy, stuff is always in people's ways, and people can't always talk right or get interrupted. I know it's a way to make it seem more realistic, but it's just annoying to me. Also, the way someone might shout out, "Yaaaaay!" and then a second later, they're saying, "Oh, wait..." constantly...
2) the whole plot is a bit cliched. Bad guy tries to steal a crystal, at the end people think the main characters are dead for a second, but no... Deus Ex Machina through some sort of magic? and they're okay!  ::)

ibanezmonster

Watched the first 4 episodes of Paranoia Agent and will finish probably by tomorrow afternoon. It's very good!  :)
(will post final thoughts tomorrow, as usual)

Yeah, I'm developing an addiction...  ::) but since my hatred of the world only grows each day, I guess it's natural to want to put your mind in a place that is actually interesting and compelling?  ::) I have to look back at this year and think I experienced some moments where I was glad to be alive, after all.

That fat guy in the beginning of episode (i think 3) is totally me in the future, if I could get fat.... he talks to his collection of anime figurines and gets a hooker, pretending she is one of them. I guess that's the way to go as long as you know you aren't going to get a disease.

Also, I first found out about the show by randomly watching the theme song on youtube months ago and thought, "weeeeeirdddd stuff..."

When I'm older and am able to take lots of time off (or retirement), I'll probably spend about 2 months a year doing nothing but watching anime, about 8-9 hours a day. It'll be like living in a constant fantasy land.  :)

Coco

I think you'll have watched all of them by that point!

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on October 13, 2011, 07:32:57 PM
I think you'll have watched all of them by that point!
lol, it almost seems like it. Probably the more likely scenario is half of the ones left are going to suck.

MAL lists 6569 entries. However, this does not include just series, but also movies, shorts, and special episodes. At the bottom of the list are hentai (basically all hentai are low rated) and shows that haven't gotten enough votes yet (mainly shows without subs and shows that are still airing). So there's quite a bit, but it might actually be possible to watch all of the ones one might have an interest in, given enough time.

finished...
Paranoia Agent
This show is soooooo good, Corey. You should finish it soon- just don't let it explode your brain!  :o

Episode 8 (the one with the three people going around town together) was not like anything I've seen before. This scenario, plus THE MUSIC... whoa  ???
Really, all I can say is that the whole show is a trippy, compelling masterpiece that just has to be watched.

I would give it a rating- it would be something like a 9 or 10 out of 10, but I don't have confidence in my rating system any more. For one, I'm not sure if I'm even rating them by just my own enjoyment, quality itself, or a mixture. Add to that the challenge of having so many shows that are extremely good that my ratings are so high and similar to each other- almost everything I watch seems to be an 8, 9, or 10- and what's the difference?  :-X

ibanezmonster

I had to rewatch episode 8:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v335900CTbBkCtj

Still absolutely mind-blowing. I have a friend that might end up watching this one, though probably after he finishes Dokuro-chan first.

One thing I understand that I didn't pick up on the first time was the reason the young man and the little girl were trying to kill themselves- they both seem to be revealed (or implied) during the scene outside after they roll down the hill when the nooses snap from the tree. What I would like to know is the old man's reason- never caught that. I'm also still not sure if there is a connection between this episode and others besides the mention of FOX- another member of their web forum that I read from the comments section of this link I posted was supposed to be the copycat lil' slugger? (not sure about that- confused...)

They don't translate the Japanese text when they display the forum posts, but from what I could read of it, it isn't substantially important.

Coco

Quote from: Greg on October 15, 2011, 07:43:49 PM
I had to rewatch episode 8:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v335900CTbBkCtj

Still absolutely mind-blowing. I have a friend that might end up watching this one, though probably after he finishes Dokuro-chan first.

One thing I understand that I didn't pick up on the first time was the reason the young man and the little girl were trying to kill themselves- they both seem to be revealed (or implied) during the scene outside after they roll down the hill when the nooses snap from the tree. What I would like to know is the old man's reason- never caught that. I'm also still not sure if there is a connection between this episode and others besides the mention of FOX- another member of their web forum that I read from the comments section of this link I posted was supposed to be the copycat lil' slugger? (not sure about that- confused...)

They don't translate the Japanese text when they display the forum posts, but from what I could read of it, it isn't substantially important.

Just watched the 2nd and 3rd discs — I got the impression that FOX was the fake Shonen Bat (AKA The Holy Warrior, haha). I really enjoyed the little digressions from the main plot, especially the three friends trying to die and the women telling the stories about Shonen Bat, and the Maromi episode was hilarious. ;D Man this show is so funny and disturbing at the same time.

Yasumi da yo... Yasumi da yo... Yasumi da yo... Yasumi da yo...

ibanezmonster

So I'm assuming you are watching the subbed version from this boxset, and you just have disc 4 to watch?

What I'm trying to figure out is why some series have reasonable prices, while others have outrageous prices (this one for $300 new even though it's only 13 episodes, and I hear Nichijou and Gosick are $1500 new for ~26 episodes). Claymore is $40 for 26 episodes- reasonable. And then sales are so low that the producers wonder what's going wrong... they can't be that stupid, can they?  ???

Anyways, enjoy!  :)
(and tell me what you thought about the ending- everything is explained in the last episode, although there will still be many details you'll have to figure out for yourself).

Coco

Quote from: Greg on October 17, 2011, 07:16:44 AM
Anyways, enjoy!  :)
(and tell me what you thought about the ending- everything is explained in the last episode, although there will still be many details you'll have to figure out for yourself).

Finally watched the last three episodes. I was not expecting the turn it took at all!

I liked how Shonen Bat/Maromi turned out to be a metaphor for the inner darkness in us that most people choose to ignore at their own peril. When Tsukiko revisits her past and comes to terms with her lie and Maromi's death — I'll admit I teared up. Okay, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. ;_;

Anyway, definitely the best anime series I've ever seen.

About to start Serial Experiments: Lain, just waiting for it to get here from Netflix. :)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on October 23, 2011, 05:32:53 AM
When Tsukiko revisits her past and comes to terms with her lie and Maromi's death — I'll admit I teared up. Okay, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. ;_;
I know, it affected me the same way.  :(

Anyway, definitely the best anime series I've ever seen.
Awesome! I'd definitely put this in my top 10, or maybe even top 5, which is saying A LOT.

About to start Serial Experiments: Lain, just waiting for it to get here from Netflix. :)
Interesting you chose that one, because that's the show that seems to have the most in common with Paranoia Agent, despite being made by different people.
If you got the English dub (the one I watched), the voice acting sounds very strange. I didn't really get why it was that way, but oh well.

ibanezmonster

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/3/9853.jpg
Detroit Metal City

This is a show about a kid from the countryside who moves into Tokyo and dreams of becoming a pop star, but ends up becoming a legendary metal musician who dresses up as a character called "Krauser II."
The show is over-the-top insane and really funny at times.

ibanezmonster

Tomorrow: watching Angel Beats!
Watched episode 1/13 the day before yesterday, now 12 episodes ~= 4-4 1/2 hours.  8)

Coco

Watched the first four episodes of Serial Experiments: Lain — some aspects bothered me at first, like the annoying theme music, the dated ideas about the internet and the way everyone talks like a robot, but as I got further in I became more curious as to what is even going on. I like the way the show uses sound and the washed-out, hazy look of everything.

ibanezmonster

Angel Beats

A thorough blend of comedy, action and drama. The story line has a somewhat messy, improvisational feel progression that is sometimes hard to understand, but works.

The plot: A group of high school age kids are in the afterlife- some type of limbo/purgatory state, which completely takes place in and around a school. They can't die- every time they "die," they just go unconscious for a little while and wake up. The school is filled with NPCs (they just use the term non-player character to describe the people they see which don't actually have a soul, but act like normal people).

Along the way, they have various enemies, etc. However, the way a person "passes on" (in other words, disappears and truly dies) is for them to have their dreams come true in this world.

The cast consists of many characters- a few are the main ones, which are fully developed, but others are one-dimensional comic relief characters (more of those than in any show I've seen). Strangely, they might have the same joke from beginning to end, but it gets funnier each time somehow.

Excellent show. The only turn-off is that it can be a bit corny at times, but other than that, just a joy to watch.

Quote from: Coco on October 28, 2011, 06:26:12 AM
Watched the first four episodes of Serial Experiments: Lain — some aspects bothered me at first, like the annoying theme music, the dated ideas about the internet and the way everyone talks like a robot, but as I got further in I became more curious as to what is even going on. I like the way the show uses sound and the washed-out, hazy look of everything.
Yes, it was 1998- ideas about the internet certainly were dated!  :D
I wouldn't rank it as my top favorites, but the way I enjoyed it was in a way similar way to enjoying stuff like Darmstadt-ish atonal music- just enjoy the ride.
As for the overall explanation, the only thing that made sense to me was that somehow the internet and real world were merging into one. I'm sure there's a lot more to that, and I probably missed quite a bit, though.  :D