Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coco

Last anime I watched was Princess Mononoke — definitely in my top 3 Miyazaki films (along with Nausicää and Castle in the Sky). Loved the characters and the beautiful painterliness of it all. It's also probably his most morally-ambiguous and violent film — which is, of course, a big part of the reason I like it. :D

On another anime-related note, I'm listening to Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack for Millennium Actress — sweeping synthscapes with ethereal, floating scraps of distorted vocals.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Coco on April 03, 2012, 02:46:56 PM
Last anime I watched was Princess Mononoke — definitely in my top 3 Miyazaki films (along with Nausicää and Castle in the Sky). Loved the characters and the beautiful painterliness of it all. It's also probably his most morally-ambiguous and violent film — which is, of course, a big part of the reason I like it. :D

On another anime-related note, I'm listening to Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack for Millennium Actress — sweeping synthscapes with ethereal, floating scraps of distorted vocals.

Such truthful words here, Coco..have you seen Porco Rosso?

Also, the soundtrack for Paprika, another Susumu Hirasawa score, is wildly superb.

[asin]B000P46QEA[/asin]

DavidW

I've seen Princess Monoke several times, it's just great. :)  I have to admit that I still have not heard the English voice acting, and I hear they got some big names to do it.  I've always preferred original language+subtitles.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on April 03, 2012, 06:46:30 PM
I've seen Princess Monoke several times, it's just great. :)  I have to admit that I still have not heard the English voice acting, and I hear they got some big names to do it.  I've always preferred original language+subtitles.

I only watch these films in Japanese with English subtitles, for the Miyazaki films, they seem to just hire big name actors more for the marketing appeal and it's rarely successful. I first saw Princess Mononoke in a theater only showing the English Dubbed and I didn't care for it, months later obtained a Japanese version and it really was like watching a different movie.

eyeresist

Quote from: DavidW on April 03, 2012, 06:46:30 PMI've seen Princess Monoke several times, it's just great. :)  I have to admit that I still have not heard the English voice acting, and I hear they got some big names to do it.  I've always preferred original language+subtitles.

They got John Dimaggio doing some of the background voices! If you like Futurama, you'll recognise his voice pretty much straight away. Miyazaki films get better dubs than most anime, a perk of being distributed by Disney (even if most of the films are barely publicised).

My favourite Miyazaki films:

Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke

I also really enjoyed Ponyo when I saw it in the cinema, but will need to see it again.

ibanezmonster

My favorite Miyazaki films:
Ponyo
Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso
Kiki's Delivery Service

And I agree about them getting better dubs... if I accidentally start watching a series with an English dub and all of a sudden realize "oh, no, it's a dub!" then I'm shocked, because often dubs are so bad they ruin the show. Imagine watching a classic movie (say, for example, Schindler's List or Seven Samurai) while your neighbors do the voice acting. That's how bad some of them are. 

Coco

I hated Ponyo when I saw it in theaters. :( That could very well have been due to the American voice actors though.

I'd like to see more non-Miyazaki Studio Ghibli stuff like Pom Poko and Tales from Earthsea — even though they probably aren't as good as H.M.'s stuff.

Just watched the first five eps of this:

I love this show already! It has a stillness and a childlike feeling that I enjoy, though it's also neither boring nor banal. Heartwarming, thought-provoking and completely charming.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on April 05, 2012, 08:56:55 PM
I love this show already! It has a stillness and a childlike feeling that I enjoy, though it's also neither boring nor banal. Heartwarming, thought-provoking and completely charming.
Sums it up quite well!  :)
Episode 5 was my favorite episode. I remember explaining it to my friends at lunch and we all laughed so hard, since it was just so bizarre.  :D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Coco on April 05, 2012, 08:56:55 PM
I hated Ponyo when I saw it in theaters. :( That could very well have been due to the American voice actors though.

I'd like to see more non-Miyazaki Studio Ghibli stuff like Pom Poko and Tales from Earthsea — even though they probably aren't as good as H.M.'s stuff.

Just watched the first five eps of this:

It's been almost 7 years since I've taken in a new, good anime series, this sounds like it may be a good one to comeback with.

Mirror Image

So this is where all the real nerds meet...

Thankfully, I'm just a music nerd. :)

Coco

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2012, 08:25:05 AM
So this is where all the real nerds meet...

Thankfully, I'm just a music nerd. :)

Appreciation of any art is nerdy when you think about it. That said, I absolutely cop to being a total nerd.  :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coco on April 06, 2012, 10:51:10 AM
Appreciation of any art is nerdy when you think about it. That said, I absolutely cop to being a total nerd.  :P

:D

I took an online quiz about dorkiness or something like that and I think I scored an 85% which is still a high percentage. But we're all nerds in some regard.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2012, 11:01:37 AM
:D

I took an online quiz about dorkiness or something like that and I think I scored an 85% which is still a high percentage. But we're all nerds in some regard.
It's better than the alternative...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on April 06, 2012, 03:29:31 PM
It's better than the alternative...

Yeah, I'm proud to be a nerd. :D

eyeresist

Quote from: Coco on April 05, 2012, 08:56:55 PMI'd like to see more non-Miyazaki Studio Ghibli stuff like Pom Poko and Tales from Earthsea — even though they probably aren't as good as H.M.'s stuff.

[Kino's journey]

The Ghibli films made by Miyazaki's partner haven't impressed me. They tend to artiness, but of a second-rate sort (IMHO). I quite like Tales of Earthsea, which came in for a critical drubbing (though mostly by the book fans) - for a first feature (by Miyazaki Jr), it's excellent.

I enjoyed Kino's Journey, but found it ultimately perhaps too cerebral to be completely satisfying. It seems concerned overall with didactic point-making.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on April 06, 2012, 09:21:54 PM
It seems concerned overall with didactic point-making.
I guess you could say it can teach lessons or morals, but what really makes it interesting is how Kino remains so detached about all of this.  She sees the stupidest things and people you could imagine and does not offer an opinion, but simply goes along with it, respecting the people's beliefs and attitudes. That way, it leaves only the viewer to think, "Wow, these people are so dumb."

They should have a sequel where the three guys who have been assembling, polishing, and disassembling the same railroad track without each other's knowledge for the last 50 years meet. They just wasted their lives accomplishing nothing with their work.

ibanezmonster

Hotarubi no Mori e
("To Firefly Light Forest")
40 min.

Holy f*&$. Had no idea a 40-min. movie could be so good.
It's a story about girl who visits a forest each summer and develops a friendship with one of the spirits. Sounds boring, but somehow manages to be interesting.
What amazes me is how far from cliche and original watching this feels. It's just so "artistic."

The whole "movie" can be watched here:
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/8/38229.jpg

ibanezmonster

Nisemonogatari
("Impostory")
11 episodes
(this is the sequel to Bakemonogatari- I reviewed it here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,8953.msg603092.html#msg603092)

Just like that, but less interesting and an overabundance of fan service. I really don't know what to think about this one.

eyeresist

Currently rewatching Noien : To your other self, a series which did not impress me but which I promised myself I would watch again in order to evaluate properly. The setup is good (to do with alternative universes), but by episode 6 things have really gone downhill. Our heroine has been kidnapped and taken to an alternate dimension which appears to be a post-apocalyptic future, but when anyone tells her this, she responds "Uso!" (Lie!). That gets old real quick. Meanwhile, the rest of the characters seem to only interact by bickering and complaining.

The first episode has an angular, occasionally distorted "experimental" look, but the show soon calms down into a fairly generic style.

[ASIN]B000YDBP34[/ASIN]

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on May 06, 2012, 07:15:19 PM
Currently rewatching Noien : To your other self
Cool. The plot piqued my interest when I was reading it a while back, but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it.