Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: snyprrr on November 26, 2012, 12:59:31 PM
How do you hook up with an anime girl? She's a potential psycho, but, I'm game. btw- I don't think I can 'fake' it: I'm going to need a much more aggressive approach. :( I can't imagine being able to deal with anime talk,... how can I get the subject to kinky sex?? 8)
First you have to identify the archetype.

"Potential Psycho" is the Yandere type. They initially start very loving, but their love is so intense that they may end up killing anyone even remotely interested in you. Kind of like the overly attached girlfriend meme.

Tsundere is almost the opposite. Initially, they are cruel to you, but eventually show their loving side.

Moe is another one. Cute, innocent, young type.

What is fascinating is- I saw this on a youtube video- maid cafes which employ young women to behave in these archetypes. One of them was a Tsundere. A guy orders a bag of chips at the counter and the maid/waitress throws them at him. When he eventually leaves, the maid/waitress begs him to stay.

As for the kinky sex part, you'd be better off searching for hentai characters. Anime girls are more into the platonic friendship thing.

Anyways, this one is mine:

Pretty, nice, and rich. Go find your own anime girlfriend.  :P

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on November 26, 2012, 07:31:23 PM
First you have to identify the archetype.

"Potential Psycho" is the Yandere type. They initially start very loving, but their love is so intense that they may end up killing anyone even remotely interested in you. Kind of like the overly attached girlfriend meme.

Tsundere is almost the opposite. Initially, they are cruel to you, but eventually show their loving side.

Moe is another one. Cute, innocent, young type.

What is fascinating is- I saw this on a youtube video- maid cafes which employ young women to behave in these archetypes. One of them was a Tsundere. A guy orders a bag of chips at the counter and the maid/waitress throws them at him. When he eventually leaves, the maid/waitress begs him to stay.

As for the kinky sex part, you'd be better off searching for hentai characters. Anime girls are more into the platonic friendship thing.

Anyways, this one is mine:

Pretty, nice, and rich. Go find your own anime girlfriend.  :P

Wait... I... mean,... a real... girl. ???

The girl I'm talking about seems to fit the first profile. You would surely be EXPECTING :o psycho behavior here... she'd probably she could beat me up,... yea, I'm not really looking for a challenge here, haha!! ;)

You seem to know TOO MUCH about this Topic!! :P

ibanezmonster

Quote from: snyprrr on November 27, 2012, 08:05:48 AM
Wait... I... mean,... a real... girl. ???

The girl I'm talking about seems to fit the first profile. You would surely be EXPECTING :o psycho behavior here... she'd probably she could beat me up,... yea, I'm not really looking for a challenge here, haha!! ;)

You seem to know TOO MUCH about this Topic!! :P
Real girls? How would I know?  ???

Stay away from psychos, though...

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on November 27, 2012, 08:48:46 AM
Real girls? How would I know?  ???

Oy! We're both a mess, haha!! ::) ;D :-*

Maybe we could double date a siamese-twin-piano-duo team? 8) Just sayin :P ;D...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: snyprrr on November 27, 2012, 10:54:29 AM
Oy! We're both a mess, haha!! ::) ;D :-*

Maybe we could double date a siamese-twin-piano-duo team? 8) Just sayin :P ;D...
Eh...
I'll leave you to that.

ibanezmonster

Chuunibyou finishes airing December 20, so I'm planning on spending a morning (4 hours) watching the whole series shortly after that.

Meanwhile, KyoAni has another series that will start airing in January. The last three anime have spawned no sequels, and I doubt this one will, too. None of them are super popular, either.

ibanezmonster

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
12 episodes

Alternate English title: "Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date!"
Literal translation: "Despite Chuunibyou, (I) want to love."

Chuunibyou is supposedly this phase that 8th graders go through (is this only a Japanese thing?), where they act like some fantasy character and can't interact normally with other people. The main character, Yuuta, goes to a far away high school so no one would remember his Chuunibyou past, but he is sort of dragged back into it by the girl (Rikka) in the above picture. They form a club, called the "Far Eastern Magic Nap Society of Summer," combining their magic club with the naptime club that only has one member.

It is pretty funny for the first half of the show. Near the end, it gets serious, and explains exactly why Rikka keeps acting like some magical person from an RPG world. Then she changes her ways and acts normal, and in the last episode it is all summarized. There are a lot of scenes with awkward romantic attempts to advance and tons of self-consciousness from all of the characters. I hear Japanese culture is somewhat like this, though it would be surprising if it were to this degree.

Overall, definitely worth a watch. Very entertaining.  8)

ibanezmonster

Tokyo Godfathers
Movie

Synopsis from MAL:
QuoteThree homeless companions -- a runaway girl, a transvestite, and an alcoholic -- find an abandoned newborn on Christmas Eve while foraging through trash. Using clues found next to the baby, they fan out through Tokyo to find the parents, along the way confronting reminders of their own lives they have nearly abandoned.
Good movie, though maybe not exactly something in the realm of what I would really like. Art-wise, it's not exactly anime style. But overall, well done.

ibanezmonster

Ghost in the Shell
Movie

This is the original movie from 1995. Probably having a headache during the first half of watching the movie really hurt my enjoyment and understanding of it...
I kind of just watched it and wasn't really compelled to form any opinion of it. There wasn't really anything in the movie I liked or disliked. So... umm... idk.

ibanezmonster

Watched the first 2 episodes of Tamako Market. It's a 12-episode series which I'd imagine would finish airing sometime in late March or April. It's KyoAni's latest show; they're quite reliable at making entertaining shows.

The main attraction I'm noticing about the show is this bird character. A talking bird that can project movies out of his eyes.  ??? His "personality" is really something else... whoa!

The overall storyline feels chaotic and aimless with stuff just happening, but that's often how comedy slice-of-life anime are, I guess. Will be looking forward to each new episode that comes out each week!

ibanezmonster

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni- Kira
4 episodes

The newest little OVA spinoff of my favorite anime. This OVA is very much hated.
The first episode is really pervy, and the rest is either dull or mildly entertaining.
Worth seeing the characters again, even if it's just a silly trifle of an OVA.

Oh, and the worst theme song ever.

Octave

[Those who know and love anime please bear with me here; I just thought I'd jot some notes about some impressions and ongoing frustrations with the genre, since I've been belatedly checking out the following 80s classics.]

I just watched GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (Isao Takahata, 1988).  I was impressed by it overall, though I still haven't warmed up to the conventions of anime yet---I am way-sub-dilettante and haven't even covered all the classics-for-non-initiates yet---but having seen a load of non-animated Japanese cinema about survival and family in wartime and postwar Japanese society, I was still pretty knocked out by this film.  I'm still thinking about it; even things that bugged me while watching it (its special blend of [what initially seemed like] sentimentality and horror, some of the music, some of the plot turns, etc) have slipped better into place now that I've mulled over it.

I've started NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, and a few hours in, I'm not sure I'm going to like it near as much as FIREFLIES.  It's clear it has a lot of substance in its references, but sometimes I think those (philosophical, religious) references have just been frothed on top of the (usual?) groan/bludgeon serial-apocalypse mayhem and adolescent-boy sexuality gawk----floating there like classy foam---with character movement structured as the familiar awkward series of frozen poses, faces made, comedic hiccups, and sliding mise-en-scene.  Some of the themes are essentially and enduringly adolescent, though, in a different sense....based on what George and others have said about the series, it sounds like some of the themes grow and grow, right through the end of the series; and these are things that seem to have a lot to do with adult life, across cultures: adolescent traumas one spends a lifetime recuperating from or reintegrating into an aesthetic/creative life, self-loathing as a source/product/accompaniment/stimulus for art or other productive or creative or critical or aesthetic activity, etc.  Even when the dialogue and action almost seems to operate as a pretty direct extended metaphor about adolescent sexual anxiety [episode ~5, the first 'Rei' episode?  I can't remember....they're trying to mount a sniper attack on the blue polyhedral Angel giant-robot monster, from a distance], I found it kind of honest and fundamental, not laughable.  So maybe it's better than I thought it was when I started this paragraph.   8)   This early in the series, I cannot decide if the creepy sexism is just the creator's id in full bloom, or also an honest, normal, POV depiction of an adolescent (boy's) psyche in flux and squirm, entering a world in crisis one pimply paroxysm at a time.
I still wonder if I can stand another several hours of it.  It's mainly a matter of me having a hard time warming up to the form itself (i.e. anime): I watch Miyazaki and think the guy is a master, and there are experiences to be had there that probably just cannot be had elsewhere on a screen....but the same stylistic conventions bug me there, too, as mentioned above.  I guess there is not much point grousing about it; I tend to be disappointed when I know there's potentially a small continent of pleasures that otherwise might have been had, and *poof* it's unavailable to me. 
I'm still planning on doing some hunting for other interesting anime to check out; I promise I won't report/complain on everything I see.   :-X

I should say that some of the comments I've read (some of which by George in this thread, iirc) do strike me as perfectly honest responses to the NGE series, and in addition to being what got me interested in it, I think I see what they are talking about.  One thing I will probably change is how quickly I watch the series; maybe better to watch a couple-few episodes a week.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Octave

And maybe I should just skip to NGE's "stargate" sequence:
QuoteThe radically different and experimental style of the final two episodes confused or alienated many fans and spawned debate and analysis, both scholarly and informal, and accusations of meaninglessness; even mainstream publications like the Mainichi Times would remark that "When Episode 25 first aired the following week, nearly all viewers felt betrayed... [....]
In response to the backlash by fans against the nature of the series finale, Anno made several controversial comments in the months following the series conclusion, and preceding the release of The End of Evangelion. Anno commented in various interviews after the conclusion of the series that "anime fans need to have more self-respect" and to "come back to reality"; in a Newtype interview on 10 May, after the announcement on 26 April of a new movie and re-edited versions of the TV series, he also stated that "computer networking is graffiti on toilet walls."  These statements were even more controversial.
(from the Wikipedia article...I have yet track down the inflammatory Anno interview quoted above, but now I am even more interested in the guy...what a punk!)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Greg on December 24, 2012, 08:50:04 PM

Ghost in the Shell
Movie

This is the original movie from 1995. Probably having a headache during the first half of watching the movie really hurt my enjoyment and understanding of it...
I kind of just watched it and wasn't really compelled to form any opinion of it. There wasn't really anything in the movie I liked or disliked. So... umm... idk.

Have you seen the sequel, Innocence? It's very good, but then again I'm bias towards the entire GITS universe and loved the first film and enjoy the series. But, Innocence gets a little more involved than the original, more of the entire "Ghost" concept is explored and includes some great action sequences and beautiful images.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Octave on March 22, 2013, 11:05:11 PM
I've started NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, and a few hours in, I'm not sure I'm going to like it near as much as FIREFLIES. 
Quote from: Octave on March 22, 2013, 11:32:01 PM
And maybe I should just skip to NGE's "stargate" sequence
Ha... the main part of the series, I think, are the last several episodes, which are quite infamous. You'll probably either love them or think they are garbage.  :D

Nice to read your thoughts about NGE. I've seen forums dedicated to figuring the show out. I spent a couple days thinking about it at one point, though probably won't pursue it any more.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 23, 2013, 03:17:39 AM
Have you seen the sequel, Innocence? It's very good, but then again I'm bias towards the entire GITS universe and loved the first film and enjoy the series. But, Innocence gets a little more involved than the original, more of the entire "Ghost" concept is explored and includes some great action sequences and beautiful images.
Weird answer, but: I'm not sure. I remember my dad bringing home a Ghost in the Shell movie one day in 2007 and I watched it, but I can't remember which one it is. Probably was Innocence.  :D

ibanezmonster

Tamako Market
12 episodes

What a bore. Not recommended.
There are a few interesting things about the show. The main thing is the over-the-top character, Dera, that I mentioned earlier. The second thing is the bartender who puts on music records and is always melancholy and says really contemplative stuff. The third is the fact that they included a transgender character (florist that is a man as a woman)  ???.

Besides that, the show is just way too normal- so much that it's just not interesting, other than the things mentioned above.

Henk

Hey Greg, You recommended some years ago a Anime movie to me. You said it was a masterpiece. Do you remind which movie? I would like to watch it, but can't retrack it's title.

ibanezmonster

Oh, wow, let's see if I can remember that far... nah, I can't.  :P

But seriously, if I did recommend a movie, it was probably Paprika (sort of like Inception a few years before Inception came out).
It was more likely a series, though. It was probably either Elfen Lied, Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Kino's Journey, Welcome to the NHK, or Monster.

Elfen Lied is something everyone should watch, though I'm not sure you'd be into it. Very violent and full of nudity, though not in a sleazy way. The ultimate cathartic experience. Profoundly haunting and moving.

Serial Experiments Lain is something I'd imagine you would like. Quite avant-garde and lacking emotion- very cerebral.

Kino's Journey is about a traveler who travels the world and visits each place for only three days at a time, learning about various odd cultures and retaining an objective attitude towards it all, despite the ludicrous stuff she encounters. Also very cerebral.

Welcome to the NHK- cathartic, but not violent. It's about a hikikomori (shut-in) who tries to reverse his situation.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni- my favorite show, along with Elfen Lied. Requires patience, but is ultimately rewarding and mindbending.

Monster a very long (74 episode) show about a doctor who goes on a manhunt to find the patient he saved as a kid who turned out to be a serial killer.

Not sure if any of these are the one, but it's my best guess!  ;D
also... as a general rule, always watch the subbed version with the exception of Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki movies. Good English voice actors in anime are scarce.

Henk

It was none of the one you mentioned. You said it was a masterpiece, I think you gave it 10 points. Something with Paradise in the title, you recommended it on Facebook to me, but I can't find it back.

BTW I have gotten all albums by BTBM from Colors on. I like that stuff a lot. Also just downloaded Satriani's record Unstoppable Momentum, sounds great, I like him better than Vai

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on May 08, 2013, 02:15:52 PM
It was none of the one you mentioned. You said it was a masterpiece, I think you gave it 10 points. Something with Paradise in the title, you recommended it on Facebook to me, but I can't find it back.
Hmm... I will take a minute and try to find out what this one is...

Quote from: Henk on May 08, 2013, 02:15:52 PM
BTW I have gotten all albums by BTBM from Colors on. I like that stuff a lot. Also just downloaded Satriani's record Unstoppable Momentum, sounds great, I like him better than Vai
Awesome! This is good to hear.  :)
Glad you like BTBAM. As for the new Satriani album, I ordered the CD because I liked the album so much, and now I just got it and am re-listening. I've also have always liked him better than Vai, for some reason.