Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes soundtrack (for the first 20 episodes):

http://www.yumei.com/gin/series-1.html

QuoteThe 1st Series uses many of Mahler's symphonies. The music editor probably likes Mahler very much. Perhaps too much?
No such thing as too much.  ;D

I'm going to hear the Mahler 9th and Bruckner 7th used in this show... nice.  :o

ibanezmonster

Ugh... I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and honestly I must find the show really boring or something because I can't make myself keep watching. It's supposed to develop into something even greater, but... whatever. I don't have to watch it.  :P

TheGSMoeller

Watched the first episode of Attack on Titan available on CrunchyRoll. I need to know, is the rest of the show as good as the opening episode? I was really impressed with what I saw. Very emotional.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 14, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
Watched the first episode of Attack on Titan available on CrunchyRoll. I need to know, is the rest of the show as good as the opening episode? I was really impressed with what I saw. Very emotional.

I would say about 3/4 of it is as good as the first episode, some of it better. Never a dull moment, regardless.

I think the most powerful psychological aspect of this show is that sense of vulnerability and helplessness that the people faced. I hope you watch the rest of it, riveting stuff.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Greg on December 14, 2013, 04:08:39 PM
I would say about 3/4 of it is as good as the first episode, some of it better. Never a dull moment, regardless.

I think the most powerful psychological aspect of this show is that sense of vulnerability and helplessness that the people faced. I hope you watch the rest of it, riveting stuff.

Thanks for the response, Greg. The concept of this show is fascinating, I'll be sticking with it for sure.

ibanezmonster

Well, looks like a return to learning Japanese means a return to anime, and I already notice plenty of progress in just a few days.  8)

Something I never thought about but just now am realizing will be important to me is this list feature on myanimelist.net. You can keep track of every anime you've ever watched (or dropped, or are currently watching). I still have a profile on the site but am just now adding all of them. If people click your name and then "anime list" it goes directly to your "Completed" list.

I have 33 off the top of my head, wondering if by the time I go throught this thread, I'll get to 100...
(but in the future I'll somewhat be limiting myself mainly to anime with japanese subtitle scripts online)

ibanezmonster

Here's my list:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ibanezmonster

121 so far.

(honestly don't remember what I thought of many of them, especially each movie of Kara no Kyoukai... also, I could probably easily add 20 more if I included the special episodes or extras that I don't remember if I've even watched or not).

ibanezmonster

Rewatch, rereview: Angel Beats!

The plot is about a group of high school-aged students who find themselves in a sort of purgatory or limbo (not actually named, but I'd refer to it as a purgatory). This place, where the entire show takes place, is in a high school where there are also NPCs (people who act normal but don't have a soul and sort of act out the normal daily routines of the school).

All of these people lived quite sad lives that were cut short before they could live out their dreams. The purpose of this purgatory was to fulfill their desires in this purgatory so that their soul could be in peace, and then they disappear (or truly die). Their aim while they are there is to rebel against "God" for having an unfair life (the "God" of the purgatory being assumed by a couple different people in the show, seems to me to be whoever is trying to make everyone disappear, but maybe I'm just still confused about that).

Although there is the backdrop of the location being a purgatory and going through the terrible life stories of the character, there is quite a lot of comedy and action. So much that at times it seems like the show is losing focus on its overall tone, but I suppose that might be more realistic, since really people might actually act that way if in a purgatory for long enough.

If you look at the plot, you can guess how it ends. Quite the opposite from a typical Hollywood movie ending, and that's what makes it fulfilling to watch. Whether it's a tragedy or not I guess can depend on how one views things. I wonder how much this is based on Buddhist philosophy, because, although they say "there is no God or Buddha," they seem to suggest uncertainty about whether reincarnation is true, and at the end, say stuff suggesting that they look forward to the next life.

I think this might actually be the best anime for a newbie to anime to watch, especially considering it is only 13 episodes. Just be prepared, though for some extremely upsetting and sad moments.

next: Deadman Wonderland

ibanezmonster

Kakurenbo
1 episode (25 minute OVA)

It's about a group of kids who play a dangerous game of hide and go seek in another town. Most of it I found not so great, but the end had me smiling at how deliciously evil it was.

you can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQKGdAsOYM

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on March 04, 2014, 09:56:28 AM
Here's my list:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ibanezmonster

121 so far.
Make that 179 after a few days of adding stuff that I forgot I watched and after watching a bunch of specials, movies, etc. I could add another 5 or so but either don't remember the titles or don't remember if I've watched them. So, next is resuming Deadman Wonderland, finishing Durarara!! (which I had dropped a few years ago) and watching Usagi Drop.

I just finished watching Claymore, a show I watched 21/26 episodes of and dropped a few years ago. I remember some of the characters, but the storyline was something I couldn't remember much of. It's not a bad show, but it just really bored me. The odd thing is that it's probably the only show where I found it to be the exact opposite for me in every aspect of what reviewers of the show say of it.

ibanezmonster

Deadman Wonderland
12 episodes + OVA

A kid (Ganta) is falsely accused of murdering his entire class and is sentenced to death in prison. The prison, Deadman Wonderland, is Japan's only privately owned prison. Part of it is a theme park which televises prison inmates taking part in games for points to buy things such as food; often, inmates are violently massacred during these games, while the public thinks that they are just special effects. The more important games involve "Deadmen" fighting each other (these people have the power to shape their own blood into weapons, and Ganta finds out that he is one of them). The loser of Deadman fights plays a punishment game where a random body part is removed.

Ganta meets Shiro, an albino girl who is his childhood friend who helps him during tough situtations and later joins a group that tries to break out of prison. This part of the story is left incomplete as the anime was cancelled, while the manga picks up where it left off.

If you like shows like Elfen Lied, Mirai Nikki, Gantz, or Now and Then Here and There, this is definitely worth a watch. Just be aware that, in a similar manner as Gantz (other than the fact that this manga is actually finished), the ending is unsatisfactory and incomplete.

ibanezmonster

Durarara!!
24 episodes + 2 Special episodes

Finished the only other anime I ever dropped (LOGH doesn't count, I only watched a few episodes) :P. 2 or so years later... done.

It's really a great show, it's just that it suffers from the problem of not exactly hooking you into a tight plot. Every episode there are crazy, interesting things that happen but they didn't exactly keep me moving forward in the show. Baccano! was made by the same producer, so it has a similar style (although that show is more straightforward in its storyline). Crazy characters and interesting subplots involving street gangs are what this show is about. Headless motorcycle rider, 7-foot tall black Russian sushi chef pacifist who is really strong, a guy with superhuman powers, etc... And the background music... it's a variety of styles, mainly avant-garde jazzy stuff which I would consider possibly the best background music I've heard in an anime. (Cowboy Bebop is another show that vaguely reminds me of this).

Jaakko Keskinen

After doing a quick search I didn't find actual topic for manga so can you discuss it here? Because last One Piece chapter just blew my mind!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on April 03, 2014, 08:02:40 AM
After doing a quick search I didn't find actual topic for manga so can you discuss it here? Because last One Piece chapter just blew my mind!
Sure.

One Piece is one of those series that are just too long to get into for me... I had abandoned Naruto: Shippuden for that very reason years ago.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on April 03, 2014, 08:23:40 PM
Sure.

One Piece is one of those series that are just too long to get into for me... I had abandoned Naruto: Shippuden for that very reason years ago.

Haha, yeah and it doesn't help that in anime there are countless fillers, most of which are mediocre at best. It's not perfect manga, it has many flaws such as with some villains seiyu explains in words of one syllable how mean, vicious and horrible they are. Thankfully not all such as Arlong, Blackbeard, Doflamingo and Magellan are like this and some such as Buggy and Crocodile have become slightly nicer and in the case of latter it is heavily implied he has a sympathetic backstory not yet revealed. However the manga has also several good qualities.

Ok, but in case anyone is interested, current story arc's main villain Doflamingo just got one head shorter when Kyros decapitated him. There are several options what will happen next such as:

a) That was just puppet that he controls from the shadows with the power of his ito ito no mi (string string fruit).
b) Trafalgar law used his devil fruit ability to save doflamingo from some unknown reason (or alternately Doflamingo possibly can control other people's DF abilities).
c) Doflamingo's devil fruit is actually a Logia (so he is literally made of string).
d) He's just gonna sew his head back together.
e) He really just kicked the bucket (I think this one is extremely unlikely).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

I watched this at my friend's house today:

http://www.youtube.com/v/6m9CcnL9FEk

It's a 30 minute anime called "Cat Soup." Basically a surrealist film that is hard to describe. It's brilliant, though.

ibanezmonster

Usagi Drop
11 episodes

Well, this story is about a 30 year old man who adopts a six year old child... who is his aunt.
That is probably the most amusing part about this show. I only watched it because it was short and rated very highly, but it's just not my type of show. Slice of life and about the mundane experiences of raising a kid. Meh. Seems like there would be more of a point to the show; perhaps aimed at an audience which likely won't have children, anyways.

Next:
oh, boy... I won't say.  :P

ibanezmonster

I knew someone besides me would make the connection between Digimon Tamers and Neon Genesis Evangelion!

http://myanimelist.net/anime/874/Digimon_Tamers

QuoteWell the psychological themes are very similiar. Also, the final enemies in Digimon Tamers, the D-Reapers are VERY-VERY similiar to Angels in Evangelion. The last D-Reaper even has a mask like Lilith did and it's face evolved to a human's one just like Lilith's .. While Digimon Tamers isn't that sad, psychological and fucked up and is targeted more at kids than Evangelion then it's still clearly influenced by it. Also, in both series there is a company that is related to the D-Reapers/Angels. And some of the digimons in this series are based off the Evangelion mechas. (one of them even had that big wire thing coming out of it's back)

What I loved about the last several episodes of the series is that it became something very dark and basically ceased to be a kid's show. I mean, violence is common in kid's shows, sure, but the overwhelming sense of doom and despair just isn't. I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should when I was ~13 years old, though.  :P

Jaakko Keskinen

Tamers has always been my favorite season of them all. And I never noticed the similarities between Evangelion until now (not that I knew that much about neon genesis to begin with).

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Kaiba
12 episodes

A genuine work of art. The art is in the style of Osamu Tezuka and involves a very intricate and captivating plot. The world in which the story takes place is a very odd one visually and functionally, and it involves the fact that memories and bodies can be, and are separated, so much conflict takes place over the securing of memories and people (such as the main character) who have bodies but are trying to find memories that they have lost.

The soundtrack is somewhat minimalistic, austere, and involving some quirky timbres.... there's a tune that keeps playing that sounds almost exactly like the melody from Yngwie Malmsteen's "Disciples of Hell," except think of those notes played with weird, simple synth effects.

Highly recommended, especially to newbies of anime.