Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Ah yes, possibly the most censored episode in Adventure.  :D In Tamers (I think episode 15?) they actually changed one guy from being drunk to having a food poisoning.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on August 11, 2014, 05:57:40 AM
Ah yes, possibly the most censored episode in Adventure.  :D In Tamers (I think episode 15?) they actually changed one guy from being drunk to having a food poisoning.
LOL!

ibanezmonster

Mushishi: Zoku Shou
10 episodes

The second season of Mushishi, and it's what you'd expect- more slow paced, mystical, ancient Japanese fables. Once again, great stuff but just try not to fall asleep.

Each episode, like before, has basically the same format. The main character travels to villages that have some sort of odd affliction which turn out to be caused by the supernatural mushi. His goal is to rid the village of mushi.

ibanezmonster

Back to Digimon Xros Wars.

Blastmon has to be the most ridiculous looking Digimon I've ever seen. He's a villain that eats colored crystals and crashes into mountains when flying. This is what I want to see more of.

ibanezmonster

High School DxD
12 episodes + 6 Specials (also 3 OVA's I haven't watched, since third one comes out next year)

High School DxD New
12 episodes

Well, it's an ecchi... it was no To Love-Ru in terms of entertainment, though. It's not terrible, either, if you keep in mind that it's an ecchi. The storyline is mildly interesting though not captivating. Battles between demons and angels, and the demons tend to more often be the good guys (the protagonists are demons). Lots of comedy, too. I guess the best part of the show is seeing Rias (red-haired girl) and her huge breasts flopping around.

Finished part 1/3 of Digimon Xros Wars about a week ago, but will be starting up Planetes for now instead...

ibanezmonster

Planetes
26 episodes

The show about garbage collectors in space during the 2070's. It follows a lady who is a new employee and another employee, who is a guy who dreams of one day owning his own spaceship. The narrative shifts between the two and changes focus a few times throughout the show, involving things such as terrorism, romance, and comedy.

Overall, it's a superb show and I'm glad I watched it because I've had my eyes on it for years.

Next: Hanamonogatari. "Two hours of nothing but philosophical dialogue." Well, it's the Monogatari series, what do you expect?  ::)  :P

ibanezmonster

A-Channel
12 episodes (OVA's etc. I'll watch soon)

Azumanga Daioh clone. Possibly the most relaxing show I've watched. Just a bunch of schoolgirls doing schoolgirl stuff.

The funniest scene has to be when the blonde girl is breaking open eggs. It's not really funny if I were to describe it, though, and can't find a clip of it to share.

ibanezmonster

Hanamonogatari
5 episodes

All dialogue and no action or anything. The story focuses on Suruga and a former rival. They have problems with body parts turning into hairy demon body parts. Her rival is actually dead after killing herself 3 years ago but doesn't realize that she's a ghost.

And as usual, the really unique backgrounds are consistently there. Much of the show takes place on a basketball court, and it may be randomly flooded or dry and filled with hundreds of floating basketballs while they are engaging in incessant philosophical dialogue.

This is Suruga's bedroom. It is filled with hundreds of books with red covers for no apparent reason.

So you can't exactly take what you see visually in this show to seriously, as it doesn't exactly reflect reality.

ibanezmonster

Mind Game
Movie

Obviously, I watched this because it was supposed to be a good, psychological thriller art film. Although it was a bit different than what I expected, it turned out to be completely amazing in a slightly different way.

At first, the pace of the movie is rapid and the ideas fascinating, but after a while it grinds to a halt. I'd say this is the only problem I have with the movie, but it's also its strength at the same time. The ending scene is absolutely insane. One of the most intense things I've seen (especially visually).

After watching the movie, the impression it left on me was something completely unique. Perhaps it was the insertion of a bit of unexpected melancholy into the film in the midst of all of the trippy, abstract scenes, but overall it was a feeling I had never felt before. Quite amazing.

ibanezmonster

So, umm... this is considered a Digimon in Digimon Xros Wars.  :-X

ibanezmonster

Part 2/3 of Digimon Xros Wars done... so I'm on episode 55/79, then. Not looking forward to the next 25 episodes of what is considered to be absolutely terrible. They basically wrapped up the story already.

ibanezmonster

Digimon Xros Wars
79 episodes

This season is divided into three parts. In Part 1, Taiki goes to the Digital World with two others and makes each zone safe in the digital world. In Part 2, he goes back with two others to defeat the evil Death Generals. In Part 2, a kid named Tagiru who strives to be like Taiki participates in a "Digimon Hunt" where Digimon that cause mischief in the real world are captured.

The biggest drawback to the show is that it either is too episodic or feels too episodic. Save zone. Move on. Save another zone. Move on. etc...
but overall, due to the sheer imagination that the series provides in general, watching it is always going to stretch your mind somehow, whether it be through wacky comedy or clever ideas and themes. If you just want new ideas, one episode after the next, watch any Digimon Season or watch Space Dandy. Anthropomorphizing anything and calling it a Digimon or doing the same thing and calling it an alien... 

The most important thing about this series is its last few episodes. During the final fight, all 6 of the previous gogglehead heroes fight together. This is exactly what is going to pave the way for the reboot of the entire series next year. I guess they all come from different dimensions? It was an awesome idea that I've never heard any show doing before.

Although now this means that I've watched all seasons of Digimon, I still have a few of the movies to watch. Currently watching: Cromartie High School.  8)

ibanezmonster

Changed the look of my anime list! (accessible via my signature)
Different background picture and smaller text which makes it look more nicely formatted...

In my "Completed" list, I have 224 entries, with 44.29 days spent watching (completed) anime, including 2,642 episodes total.
Probably my favorite list so far is this person's list:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyrel&status=2&order=0

Not only is the background picture amazing, but I don't see many people with 886 entries, 202 days spent watching anime, while watching over 30 anime that are currently airing at the same time. I think the highest number of entries I've seen on a legitimate list is 1100...

ibanezmonster

Going to see if I like Fairy Tail. I won't commit to this show if I don't like it, though. The first part is 175 episodes long, and the second part (Fairy Tail (2014)) is currently at 23 episodes and airing, so who knows how long that'll air.

It just looks like a great epic to me... if not, I'll drop it...

ibanezmonster

A few episodes into Fairy Tail... this show is awesome.  ;D

mn dave

Quote from: Greg on September 09, 2014, 08:06:30 AM
A few episodes into Fairy Tail... this show is awesome.  ;D

So do you read manga? Just curious...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 09, 2014, 08:28:22 AM
So do you read manga? Just curious...
I used to, but not very seriously. I used to own a few manga and read much of Rave/Rave Master, Gantz, and Elfen Lied. I don't spend time on manga because I'd rather just watch anime, and there's no time for both. I could probably just say "no" to keep it short.

ibanezmonster

Shinsekai Yori ("From the New World") is quite an interesting show... the theme to that Dvorak Symphony is the main theme that plays throughout the show. It's a very beautiful and intriguing world; different in a way that's hard to describe.

QuoteA millennium from now, in Japan, exists a utopia. The protagonist, Saki Watanabe, lives in an idyllic village barred from the outside world. Her world is ruled by the people who possess the "gods' power" of psychokinesis. After finally obtaining her own powers, Saki enters the Zenjin Academy to train along with five other children: Satoru Asahina, Maria Akizuki, Mamoru Itou, Shun Aonuma, and Reiko Amano.

Not all is as it seems, however. In this utopian village, strange rumors about a monstrous cat that abducts children circulate, and students are said to disappear from the academy. The world and its history are much darker than they appear and humanity is on the verge of collapse.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori#zLO01G6TrEtephpR.99

I probably won't be doing those anime reviews any more, but will just post on this thread whenever I feel like posting any thoughts.

ibanezmonster

I updated my anime list to reflect an extremely difficult criteria for receiving a score of 10: a 10 is a 10, not a 9.5.

So, reluctantly, I knocked down several anime scores to a 9 (the most difficult being Paranoia Agent and Attack on Titan, which deserve 9.5). The only two 10's that remained were Elfen Lied and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

I'm open to changing it to a 9 if one day I feel like it (in case it doesn't stand the test of time in my mind), but From the New World is the newest entry to receive a 10. If you ask me, this is the only show that is truly on the level of the other two (though probably objectively better). The strength of the show lies in the compelling story told in a well-developed an interesting new world.

Well, not doing reviews any more, but the most important point is that this is absolutely one of the best anime I've watched and you just have to watch it- nothing quite like it.

ibanezmonster

arrgh... who am I kidding.

Okay, Attack on Titan and Paranoia Agent will get 10's. I'm having trouble accepting them as 9's.
I feel at peace leaving Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad After Story, Now and Then Here and There, and FMP: Fumoffu as 9's.

So if I had to list my top 5 favorite anime:

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (both seasons)
2. Elfen Lied
3. Shinsekai Yori ("From the New World")
4. Mousou Dairinin ("Paranoia Agent")
5. Shingeki no Kyojin ("Attack on Titan")

I'm hoping the lady I work with gets to watch Shinsekai Yori... it seems like something she'd like. And I'm gonna force my friend to watch it.  >:D