Main Menu

Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

My brother hated the way Colossal Titan's and Armored titan's identity was revealed in the manga. I actually thought it was quite clever.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Btw, people joke a lot about attack of titan's use of German. "Japanese and german, is it World war II again?"
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

kitsune

I'm at a weird impasse where I refuse to read translated manga, but haven't quite as yet attained the proficiency to read them in the original Japanese -- though I've been trying (and mostly understanding and sometimes only sorta understanding) with Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha", and my order of the first volume of Mushi-shi from YesAsia should be arriving soon. :)

ibanezmonster

Just finished the whole Frieza saga... on episode 108 of DBZ. 22 episodes today.  ;D

I looked it up, and indeed that is the longest battle in anime history. Probably the longest battle for any TV show. 20 episodes of that was just Goku vs. Frieza one-on-one, and 10 or close to 10 was the group against Frieza. So probably near 30 episodes in total.

I heard there may be a potential candidate for a fight lasting longer... in Naruto, there is a fight that lasts 80 chapters, so that would be much longer when animated. I'm not sure if they have animated that part, yet, though, since I don't watch Naruto any more.

Yeah, this show is definitely the definition of epic...

ibanezmonster

Finished DBZ, so that ends the whole Dragonball/DBZ series for me at 444 episodes.

The very definition of epic.

Even the ages. Check out the ages of the characters at the start of Dragonball

QuoteGoku/Chi Chi: 12
Krillin: 13
Bulma/Tien/Yamcha 16
Vegeta 17

and the end of DBZ

QuoteGoku: 47(41 due to death) Chi Chi: 47
Krillin: 48
Bulma/Tien/Yamcha: 51
Vegeta: 52(54)
Gohan: 27(28)
Piccolo: 31(32)
Mr Satan: 48

The 2 DBZ movies (14 and 15) appear to be the only material that is blatantly canon that I haven't watched, and I'm not interested in GT right now, so just going to wait for DB Super.

I really would like to see the dragon restore their ages and make some of the weaker characters a bit stronger somehow.

Anyways, too much to say about this show for one post. 3 months to get through this.  I have to say, this show was a pleasant surprise because I didn't expect much considering how popular it is. Definitely alongside Yuyu Hakusho as the best shounen I've seen.

Moonfish

My family watched this show twice over the last month. An excellent anime in every way (story, art). A magical adventure!    8)

I hear that a third season is in the works for a US release in 2016 or so. Is that true?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Moonfish on May 10, 2015, 01:38:40 PM
I hear that a third season is in the works for a US release in 2016 or so. Is that true?
No idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were. Gotta make that money.

ibanezmonster

Anyone here ever watch Trigun? Just finished, really a superb show.

So, back to Gintama, which may be the only anime I watch for a really long time unless I really catch a craving to watch something else. I'm only about 268 episodes away from getting caught up on a show that's currently airing new episodes each week, after all.

Jaakko Keskinen

Anyone read the chapter 69 (he he, 69) of Shingeki no Kyojin? It blows my mind! Definitely one of my favorite chapters.

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on May 22, 2015, 12:35:08 AM
Anyone read the chapter 69 (he he, 69) of Shingeki no Kyojin? It blows my mind! Definitely one of my favorite chapters.
I'm just waiting for that second season... another year...  :(

ibanezmonster

I just finish watching Parasyte- The Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu). Superb show. The premise is this guy gets an alien parasite living in his hand and battles between him and some of the other parasites ensue throughout the show. It does well in portraying in an interesting way the relationship between the human host and the parasite, and also the contrast between human emotions and the emotionless parasites.

Gonna finish up Kill la Kill possibly tonight... so I know a lot of people really like it, but personally, I just didn't enjoy it at all. The animation is amazing, but my problem is that I don't care much for anime that feels like it has ADHD (Hetalia, FLCL, etc.). If it were only 6 episodes, like FLCL, my opinion would be "it's alright," but 24 episodes in this style is something I just couldn't tolerate. Getting through this show was actual somewhat painful.

Moonfish

My kids and I are having a great time with "Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan"!   :)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Moonfish on July 31, 2015, 06:49:43 PM
My kids and I are having a great time with "Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan"!   :)

Neat, never even heard of that one before.

ibanezmonster

I don't feel too good...

The new DBZ movie isn't being shown anywhere near me in IMAX. The regular showings are an hour away and the nearest IMAX that shows it is an hour and a half away in some place I've never been to, and the only directions I'm getting to go there uses toll roads (which I avoid due to my extremely bad experiences with them).

This is the only movie in years that I've actually wanted to see enough to consider actually seeing in theaters... might just see the regular one, but it seems I'd be missing half the fun without IMAX. Or I could probably find it bootlegged online and save myself the drive. Yet another reason why I stay home and don't do stuff...

ibanezmonster

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

This show ultimately didn't make much sense and I enjoyed it more than I probably should have.

But then again, the reason why I watched it...

Quote from: Greg on August 08, 2015, 08:09:21 PM
I don't feel too good...

The new DBZ movie isn't being shown anywhere near me in IMAX. The regular showings are an hour away and the nearest IMAX that shows it is an hour and a half away in some place I've never been to, and the only directions I'm getting to go there uses toll roads (which I avoid due to my extremely bad experiences with them).

This is the only movie in years that I've actually wanted to see enough to consider actually seeing in theaters... might just see the regular one, but it seems I'd be missing half the fun without IMAX. Or I could probably find it bootlegged online and save myself the drive. Yet another reason why I stay home and don't do stuff...
I never mentioned that I ended up watching this? It was decent.

ibanezmonster

I watched the first 3 episodes of Hunter x Hunter (2011) this morning. I can tell this will end up being one of my favorite shows.

At 148 episodes, it'll take a while to get through. I saw the original 62 episodes series about 7 years ago, which was great, though I don't remember much of it. The same guy who wrote the manga for YuYu Hakusho wrote the manga for this, so the story is guaranteed to be great. It's still being written, though, so it's likely that in a few years they will continue the anime. Probably the main thing that brought this show to my attention was its high score on MAL (#5 currently, was #3 for a while). It's the favorite show of my friend on that site. I've been eyeing this one for a while.

ibanezmonster

Watched episode 1 of Aria the Animation.

Wow, if you want a show that just has an awesome vibe and is peaceful, here you go. I really liked it. And the start of the series is supposed to be nowhere near as good as the end (Aria the Origination).

vandermolen

I know nothing about Anime but some years ago one of my History students wrote her A Level coursework on 'The History of Japanese Anime Cinema' and obtained an A grade, which I thought was very impressive.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ibanezmonster

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2015, 01:23:54 AM
I know nothing about Anime but some years ago one of my History students wrote her A Level coursework on 'The History of Japanese Anime Cinema' and obtained an A grade, which I thought was very impressive.
Cool... do you remember anything from it?

vandermolen

Quote from: Greg on September 20, 2015, 05:49:20 AM
Cool... do you remember anything from it?
No detail but I recall it being very well researched and written in a very academic way with detailed footnotes. Sorry I can't remember more but she probably related it to society. I enjoyed reading it and expect that the external examiner did too as it was so different from 'Mussolini's foreign policy' etc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).