Travel Photos

Started by Maciek, May 14, 2007, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

I'm starting this thread to post a few photos from my trip to Wroclaw (Wrocław). I got back today. Lousy weather, so we stayed indoors a lot (which was part of the plan anyway, as I was visiting my family). The pics aren't very good either (not the best lighting conditions). But here are a few, for what they're worth.

My general impression of Wroclaw was not as good as I expected (most of my friends who've been there rave about it). However, one part of the visit was truly outstanding. It turned out my aunt (with whom we stayed) lives very close to a 19th-early 20th century Jewish Cemetery. One of the most beautiful cemeteries I've ever been to. Warsaw has at least 2 outstandingly beautiful cemeteries - Powazki and the Jewish Cemetery. Yet the Jewish Cemetery in Wroclaw, even though it's much, much smaller than the one in Warsaw, really stands out - it's at least as beautiful as Powazki.

Here are some photos taken there (unfortunately, we couldn't give it a really thorough visit, as it started to rain yet again while we were there).

(Well, I'm sure most would prefer to start threads of their own but if anyone ever wants to post some pics from their travels and doesn't feel like starting a new thread they're welcome to post them here.)

Maciek

More.

(Heard that before, haven't you?)

Maciek

More. ;D

Maciek

Penultimate cemetery batch. ;D

Harry

Could we have more please! ;D

Maciek

Here you go, Harry! (I have even more but I also want to post photos from other places ;D)

Maciek

On a (slightly) similar note (serene, beautiful place), we also visited a Japanese Garden, with surprisingly many flowers in bloom.

Harry

This is really outstanding! Next time I go to Poland it will be longer and I will visit this cementary.
What beauty, how many lives, lying there mostly forgotten.
If they would rise, what stories would they tell us.
Fine pictures my friend. :)

Maciek

Quote from: Harry on May 14, 2007, 01:53:13 PM
What beauty, how many lives, lying there mostly forgotten.

Unfortunately, you are right about that, Harry. You can't see that well on these pictures but some parts of the cemetery are in really terrible shape... :'( It's still beautiful, though.

Back to my itinerary:

The Japanese Gardens are right next to the Centennial Hall (Jahrhunderthalle) - an early 20th century exhibition hall which has been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List last year. It is in surprisingly bad shape, definitely in need of a general face-lift.

Maciek

And now some photos from the city itself:

pjme

beautiful photographs Maciek. It looks like a very special place....
I was recently in Wales and the South of England ( Lyme Regis , Weymouth, Rye...Chichester, )
In Wells the cathedral bells were rung for ca 30 mins and created an intoxicating and incantatory music I had never experienced before.

Stunning scenery - wild, rugged coastline in Wales - lovely ,"pastoral" landscapes in Somerset & Devon. Fossils. fresh fish.

Great concert in Cardiff - with the BBC Welsh SO - Jac Van Steen conducted stravinsky's Scherzo à la Russse, Barry Douglas gave a good performance of Bartok's second pianoconcerto and the orchestra showed its discipline in Prokofiev's Fifth symphony....

the "chalk figures" ( the Uffington horse, the Cerne Abbas Giant and
the Long man in Wilmington) are ancient and mysterious .

Maciek

Thanks for that, Peter. Looks like a great trip. (I didn't go to any concert myself, unfortunately - but I saw lots of Saariaho coming up in a couple of days at the Wroclaw Philharmonic...)

And from me there's more, of course... ;D

pjme

The long man.

Maciek

And more from me... 8)

Maciek

And penultimate batch from me... 0:)

pjme

rockpools (tide-pools) are wonderful places to find strange seacreatures.

The National Botanic Garden of wales combines the old & the new in a very succesful way .

Maciek

And I end this photo-tour with 1) a photo from the area of my aunt's house (an early 20th century water tower with an extremely expensive restaurant inside), 2) a photo from the inside of my aunt's house - the bed we slept in (my uncle was an antique collector) - you might even make out my daughter inside it. Note the lions' heads. ;)

Maciek

Quote from: pjme on May 14, 2007, 02:18:21 PM
rockpools (tide-pools) are wonderful places to find strange seacreatures.

The National Botanic Garden of wales combines the old & the new in a very succesful way .

Great photo of that anemone - it looks like an abstract painting!

Maciek

Also, I really like that Charmouth1 picture. Wonderful feeling of space. Would like to go there one day... ::)

knight66

Thanks, I always enjoy photos of places I don't know. Poland is already now on my list.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.