Your favorite unusual instrument!

Started by pjme, September 08, 2008, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: M forever on September 08, 2008, 03:08:35 PM
The theremin
Okay, I have to ask: Do you know who the lovely theremin player is, and where she was when this pic was taken? :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

SonicMan46

OK - let's introduce another instrument, the Didgeridoo, a natural wooden aerophone (MORE INFO HERE) - one of my first exposures to this instrument was the Australian group Outback in the album below (which I still own!) - fascinating sound!

M forever

Quote from: jochanaan on September 10, 2008, 04:20:37 PM
Okay, I have to ask: Do you know who the lovely theremin player is, and where she was when this pic was taken? :)

Yes, she is my neighbor, and the pic was taken at a BBQ party in her garden.

jochanaan

Quote from: SonicMan on September 10, 2008, 05:03:08 PM
OK - let's introduce another instrument, the Didgeridoo, a natural wooden aerophone (MORE INFO HERE) - one of my first exposures to this instrument was the Australian group Outback in the album below (which I still own!) - fascinating sound!
Oh, I LOVE the didgeridoo!  As long as it's a didge like the ones you've pictured, and not a mere length of PVC pipe! ::) That's more like a didgeri-don't. ;D

A didgeridoo was responsible for one of the most unusual sensations I've ever felt.  Once on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, Colorado, a woman didgeridoo player offered to give me a massage via didge.  Curious, I followed her instructions and sat down in front of her; she moved the "bell" around my back while playing.  The vibration on my back really was like a massage, and did seem to reduce tension. :D 8)

jochanaan

Quote from: M forever on September 10, 2008, 05:29:22 PM
Yes, she is my neighbor, and the pic was taken at a BBQ party in her garden.
:D ;D

John Copeland

If I were to give a truthful answer, my favourite instrument is the Clarinet...viva Henning!

Wanderer

eyeresist

Quote from: SonicMan on September 10, 2008, 05:03:08 PM

If you lived in Australia the novelty would soon wear off - trust me. ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: eyeresist on September 14, 2008, 03:31:06 PM
If you lived in Australia the novelty would soon wear off - trust me. ;)

Hello - don't need to trust you - all of these unusual instruments (i.e. weird types) can 'grate' on the ears after shot listening - just have a few CDs of the instrument in question, but I can imagine that hours of straight listening can bring one to the point of using 'ear plugs' -  ;) ;) ;D

Ugh!

I'd have to chose between Professor Waffel's W2 or Professor Waffel's Infernal Machine:

Brian

My new favorite unusual instrument is the bull-roarer, after hearing it in Antill's Corroboree, although a close runner-up would be the bass trumpet, which I saw for the first time last night and which was awesome.

M forever

Quote from: Ugh! on October 05, 2008, 08:33:12 AM
I'd have to chose between Professor Waffel's W2 or Professor Waffel's Infernal Machine:

What is that?

Ciel_Rouge

adamdavid80

I don't know what the HELL it consisted of, but Tom Waits around the time of the album Bone Machine created some bizarre percussion instrument.  The only reason i know it is bc what he named it was so fuckin' cool:

"The Conundrum".
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

some guy

Wow, Eugene, that's some good times there!

Here's a video for you, M Forever:

http://www.hemmeligtempo.no/

arrived at by typing waffel w2 in the google prompt. ;)

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_rAhmWtQk

Both clips are way too short, especially the first one, but it's enough to show that the kids in Norway are just as cool as their fathers and grandfathers were (electronic/electroacoustic music being 60 years old, after all).

RebLem

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 08, 2008, 03:50:07 PM
Well, that is admittedly a lovely picture, but it is hard to figure out how the music making is happening. :-\  I'll watch for a while and see though... ;)

I think its from the sucking sounds made by the guys watching her. ;D ::)
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Ciel_Rouge

jowcol

I guess I'd have to take the Hammered Duclimer and its relatives the Cimbalom and Santur, but that's what I play.

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

greg

I have a zither that I bought a few years ago, though I'm not sure I even know where it is now. All the strings were out of tune and I had no idea how to tune it, either. Oh well. I don't think it was supposed to be chromatic... any instrument that isn't chromatic is useless to me (besides the obvious, percussion).