Frederick Delius

Started by tjguitar, May 14, 2007, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2014, 07:30:59 PM
Plus, you can read all of my posts about Delius over the past few years, I'm not sure why I let negative opinion rule my own thinking? I simply listened to the naysayers when I should have trusted my own thoughts and opinions to begin with.

Furiously trying to re-establish your creds here today I see, MI.

I'm generously open to receiving you again as a genuine and passionate Delian.

It's just that given your often ecstatic response to the music previously, I was startled to see you then renounce that fervor so flippantly (and even shamefully).

Perhaps sometime you can describe what lies behind this "complicated history" with the composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 13, 2014, 08:40:20 AM
I have the Beecham performance of Hassan. Reasonably priced s/h copies of the Handley cd appear to be as rare as the proverbial hens teeth! Most of the time it's not even available at all. Currently the only copy on Amazon is ex-library. I suppose everyone wants to hold onto the copy they've got!

Ah, but this Handley performance was included in the 150th Anniversary set on EMI. To buy the original, however, is quite a rare thing indeed. Extremely difficult to obtain and you'll certainly pay a hefty price if there's one available.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on October 13, 2014, 08:49:31 AM
Furiously trying to re-establish your creds here today I see, MI.

I'm generously open to receiving you again as a genuine and passionate Delian.

It's just that given your often ecstatic response to the music previously, I was startled to see you then belie that fervor so flippantly (and even basely).

Perhaps sometime you can describe what lies behind this "complicated history" with the composer.

Actually, I'm not trying to re-establish anything and, again, this isn't some secret club where only the few meet and discuss the composer. There is as much criticism of Delius as there is of Messiaen or even Mozart. What lies behind this complicated history I have with Delius was the inability to ignore the criticism and, in doing this, I gave in when I should have stood my ground. I was wrestling with doubt when there shouldn't have been doubt at all. But I understand now the negative criticism against the composer and have finally accepted to ignore it. After all, Delius was love on first listen for me. I believe the first work I heard was In a Summer Garden and this was all it took. That introduction alone took me some place else entirely and moved me deeply. I can only say this has happened with a few other composers.

J

An honorable repentance, - sufficient for returning to the fold. 

WELCOME BACK.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on October 13, 2014, 10:34:08 AM
An honorable repentance, - sufficient for returning to the fold. 

WELCOME BACK.

Thanks, J. It feels good to be back. One question I have is what ever happened to that GMG member from South Africa that had got bitten by the Delius bug? I forget his screen name at the moment.

Karl Henning

"South Africa" and "bitten by the bug" together makes me think of the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on October 13, 2014, 10:42:23 AM
"South Africa" and "bitten by the bug" together makes me think of the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever . . . .

:P

Mirror Image

Hey J., have you seen the Bridcut BBC documentary on Delius? Here's your chance if you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA

I've already weighed in with my own critique of the film several pages back, but, overall, I found it quite fulfilling and enjoyable.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2014, 04:46:10 AM
The devious Mssrs Wint & Kidd
One is never too old to learn from a master, Mr. Kidd.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 13, 2014, 09:40:48 PM
Hey J., have you seen the Bridcut BBC documentary on Delius? Here's your chance if you missed it:

I've already weighed in with my own critique of the film several pages back, but, overall, I found it quite fulfilling and enjoyable.

I hadn't seen it, - thanks for posting. Watching just now, my impression is a program somewhat lacking in focus and continuity, - a kind of jumbled and fragmented sequence of information and reflection without really presenting in any dramatic and compelling way the coherence and direction of Delius's character and life.
Nonetheless, having never before heard Andrew Davis, Mark Elder, & Anthony Payne speak, I now have some dimensional sense of them as human beings previously lacking (I've never cared in the least for Davis as a Delius interpreter, but he rather impressed me in the manner of his reflections).  Also incidentally, I was never aware Delius had explicitly referred to fathering a child with a Negro mistress in Florida, as apparently he did in correspondence with Percy Grainger.  I believed it was never more than speculation.  Has this fact indeed been validated somehow, does anyone know? 

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on October 15, 2014, 10:13:15 AM
I hadn't seen it, - thanks for posting. Watching just now, my impression is a program somewhat lacking in focus and continuity, - a kind of jumbled and fragmented sequence of information and reflection without really presenting in any dramatic and compelling way the coherence and direction of Delius's character and life.
Nonetheless, having never before heard Andrew Davis, Mark Elder, & Anthony Payne speak, I now have some dimensional sense of them as human beings previously lacking (I've never cared in the least for Davis as a Delius interpreter, but he rather impressed me in the manner of his reflections).  Also incidentally, I was never aware Delius had explicitly referred to fathering a child with a Negro mistress in Florida, as apparently he did in correspondence with Percy Grainger.  I believed it was never more than speculation.  Has this fact indeed been validated somehow, does anyone know?

Yes, the film is jumbled and fragmented but so was Delius' life. :) Born in England, lived in Florida, spent most of his life in the south of France, and made regular pilgrimages to Norway. I thought Bridcut did an excellent job, as anyone really could, of keeping track of such a nomadic life. One of the main problems I had with the film was Bridcut barely scraped the surface of the Fenby/Delius partnership, but anyone could read the book Delius As I Knew Him for more information on this period of the composer's life.

As for fathering a child, there's actually a documentary about this particular area of Delius' life. It deals with Tasmin Little (surely one of the great Delius interpreters) and her belief that after this 'negro mistress' fled Florida upon Delius' return, this left an undeniable imprint on him and, as a result, his music began to turn more inward and became steeped in sadness.

Here's the Little documentary if you haven't seen it:

Part 1 -

http://www.youtube.com/v/0RocX8MvqcE

Part 2 -

http://www.youtube.com/v/w95C2Vwt-Dc

delius98

I just found this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts about my favorite composer, Delius.   

I have a website devoted to the music of Delius, and invite everyone to visit: www.thompsonian.info/delius.html

Lots of links, information and audio files.

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my copy of the new book "Delius and his Music" by Martin Lee-Browne and Paul Guinery, which will analyze and discuss each of Delius' works.

bhodges

Welcome, delius98, and I hope you enjoy yourself here. (PS, though I'm now in NYC, I used to live in Texas.)

--Bruce

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 13, 2014, 09:40:48 PM

Thanks for posting that MI!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 04, 2014, 08:00:34 PM
Thanks for posting that MI!

My pleasure, Moonfish. :) Have you seen the ones on RVW, Elgar, or Britten per chance? These are great documentaries as well. Bridcut has continuously given us one great work after another.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2014, 08:02:24 PM
My pleasure, Moonfish. :) Have you seen the ones on RVW, Elgar, or Britten per chance? These are great documentaries as well. Bridcut has continuously given us one great work after another.

No! I am always out of time (seemingly), but noticed the Britten film the other day. Did you like it?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 04, 2014, 08:08:15 PM
No! I am always out of time (seemingly), but noticed the Britten film the other day. Did you like it?

Yes, the Britten one titled Britten's Endgame is an exquisitely made documentary. I haven't seen the other Britten doc. Bridcut made titled Britten's Children, but Endgame is a must-see.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
Yes, the Britten one titled Britten's Endgame is an exquisitely made documentary. I haven't seen the other Britten doc. Bridcut made titled Britten's Children, but Endgame is a must-see.

Duly noted!  :)
Anna Lappé