Frederick Delius

Started by tjguitar, May 14, 2007, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2015, 08:10:21 PMPoor ol' Fenby and his superhuman level of patience, tolerance, and, most of all, his belief in this man's music.

Did you read Eric Fenby's book Delius as I knew him ? I did, many years ago, and the story of their cooperation against all odds  - Delius, the Nietzschean, blind, paralyzed yet unbroken, Fenby, the devout Catholic, not only completely devoted, but also very capable - is a classic.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Moonfish

Quote from: Christo on February 08, 2015, 11:38:38 AM
Did you read Eric Fenby's book Delius as I knew him ? I did, many years ago, and the story of their cooperation against all odds  - Delius, the Nietzschean, blind, paralyzed yet unbroken, Fenby, the devout Catholic, not only completely devoted, but also very capable - is a classic.

That sounds like a fantastic book! Thanks for bringing it up Christo! I love biographies and have just started to dig into composers...
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

J

Quote from: Moonfish on February 08, 2015, 12:57:20 PM
That sounds like a fantastic book! Thanks for bringing it up Christo! I love biographies and have just started to dig into composers...

Ken Russell's 1968 film adaptation of Fenby's book titled "A Song of Summer" is moving and compelling also, - easily viewed in its entirety on YouTube, Moonfish.  Check it out.

Moonfish

Quote from: J on February 08, 2015, 01:48:48 PM
Ken Russell's 1968 film adaptation of Fenby's book titled "A Song of Summer" is moving and compelling also, - easily viewed in its entirety on YouTube, Moonfish.  Check it out.

On my list of films to watch!   :)    Thank you!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on February 08, 2015, 11:38:38 AM

Absolutely, Johan. A great read for sure. It certainly heightened my appreciation for the composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on February 08, 2015, 02:22:16 PM
On my list of films to watch!   :)    Thank you!

I honestly didn't care much for the film, but I don't care much about 'biopics' anyway. Peter, you've got to watch this as soon as possible (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2015, 08:41:11 PM
I honestly didn't care much for the film, but I don't care much about 'biopics' anyway. Peter, you've got to watch this as soon as possible (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA

No, I haven't and I definitely need to! Thanks John! So many great documentaries about composers out on the web! It seems like films such as these should be commercially available.  >:(
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on February 08, 2015, 09:56:34 PM
No, I haven't and I definitely need to! Thanks John! So many great documentaries about composers out on the web! It seems like films such as these should be commercially available.  >:(

You're welcome, Peter. I will say that this Bridcut documentary on Delius didn't introduce anything new to me, but it does a nice job of presenting this composer's fragmented history in a compelling way. Newcomers to this music will do well to check this film out.

Mirror Image

Received the book Delius And His Music today. Man, this one is quite heavy. :) Looks like it is laid out really well. Some great pictures throughout and musical examples of works. It's also nice to have a full list of his oeuvre in chronological order.

Mirror Image

Bridcut's documentary on the BBC was so great, but I have found the earlier Discovering Delius film (available as an extra the A Village Romeo & Juliet DVD from Decca) is also worth watching. The segments with Mackerras conducting were quite good, but my favorite part was watching Tasmin Little perform parts from the Violin Concerto. My fellow Delians you've to watch this documentary. It doesn't introduce anything new, but it's still entertaining to watch.

ritter

For all the avid Delians out there (among whom, I'm afraid, I most definitely don't count myself), it might interest you that the enterprising Wexford Festival in Ireland is staging Koanga in October this year. More information here

Cheers,

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 02, 2015, 10:36:45 AM
For all the avid Delians out there (among whom, I'm afraid, I most definitely don't count myself), it might interest you that the enterprising Wexford Festival in Ireland is staging Koanga in October this year. More information here

Cheers,

Great. I hope a recording comes out of it. Koanga is a magical opera. Thanks for the information (even if you're not a fan of his music). ;)

cilgwyn

I finally bagged the Handley emi cd of Hassan. It has taken me ages to find a copy. I notice it is now unavailable again! My copy was in lovely condition,so thank you very much to that seller & the fair price (I didn't have to sell my kidneys! ;D). I enjoyed the Beecham,but this is one instance where stereo sound really opens up a score,'Beecham magic',or not! Anyway,even if you like Beecham's recording you need to hear Delius in more modern recordings,as well. This is a lovely score,and the story of it's creation,and creators,included with the booklet makes a very interesting read. This is one to put on with Beni Mora for afters,perhaps!! (Or before?!)
Which reminds me. I finally bagged the emi/cfp cd of Sargent's BBCSO recording ofThe Planets,which includes Beni Mora and Perfect Fool,also recorded by Sargent. You've just got to keep looking,haven't you?!! A great month for collecting! :) I still remember my Lp with the Space vehicle on the front. The first Lp I ever owned!!

André

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2016, 03:01:31 AMI enjoyed the Beecham,but this is one instance where stereo sound really opens up a score,'Beecham magic',or not! Anyway,even if you like Beecham's recording you need to hear Delius in more modern recordings,as well.

+1  :)

I have immersed myself in his music in the past few days. I'm meeting with friends in a couple of weeks and the topic of our musical encounter will be Delius.

The "delian phrase" is sinuous, airborne. It needs air to breathe and take flight. Balances must be carefully gauged by the conductor and sound engineers (beware of bass heavy textures).  When it comes to recordings, I want to "hear" that airiness. Beecham's mono recordings do not allow it to bloom. His stereo recordings are better in that regard.

Most Delius recordings are not new ("recent" ones are some 30 years old in many cases). This is a case where dated sound make a disservice to the composer, even with conducting as masterly as Beecham, Barbirolli, Sargent.

zamyrabyrd

I am interested in the influence of Delius on other composers of his time, or the other way around, particularly in writing "American" music. Chronologically he seems to be a few years ahead of say, Dvorak, who came to the US in 1892. Delius wrote his Florida Suite in 1887 and Hiawatha tone poem in 1888. Appalachia: an American rhapsody is dated 1896. He was a trail blazer with his opera Koanga, that used African-American folk music.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

cilgwyn

This opera gets some flak from critics;but there is a lyrical intensity and beauty to the sounds of Delius' orchestration and unlike some of VW's operas (which I do quite like) the inspiration seems consistent,and I don't feel I need to worry about the wooliness of the libretto. In fact,I don't bother with the libretto at all,when I listen to it. The voices soar ecstatically on the sails of Delius' lush lyricism. It almost feels like a symphony with voices at times (right though those fair scenes,with carolling voices) and it has an odd atmosphere which is quite different to VW's bluff pastoralism. Also the ending is tragic,and I like happy endings;but it's all done so movingly,it's hard not to blink back a tear. Robert Tear is NOT one of my favourite singers,but contrary to an old Penguin (or Gramophone?) review he's on pretty good form here (what happened?! ;D). I tend to agree with MI,in his Delius days,that this is it's finest recording! :)

Mirror Image

Wow, there haven't any new posts since 2017?!?!? Not really surprised, but, to my fellow Delians, this will be most useful:

https://delius.music.ox.ac.uk/catalogue/welcome.html

J

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 05:00:50 PM
Wow, there haven't any new posts since 2017?!?!? Not really surprised, but, to my fellow Delians, this will be most useful:

https://delius.music.ox.ac.uk/catalogue/welcome.html

Any new Delius recordings (or even books) since then?  Andrew Davis had been doing a series for Chandos some years ago which seems to have ceased, and there was another set on Danacord with Bo Holten (I find neither conductor compelling Delians, or offering a challenge to old favorites), but I'm unaware of other more recent issues.

We still need a comprehensive and definitive biography.  The Browne & Guinery volume "Delius and His Music" referred to earlier is exceptional for contextualizing and analyzing all of the Music, but is in no sense "a Life", - the biographical sections merely provide staging and connective for its compositional focus.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on January 12, 2019, 09:10:49 AM
Any new Delius recordings (or even books) since then?  Andrew Davis had been doing a series for Chandos some years ago which seems to have ceased, and there was another set on Danacord with Bo Holten (I find neither conductor compelling Delians, or offering a challenge to old favorites), but I'm unaware of other more recent issues.

We still need a comprehensive and definitive biography.  The Bowne & Guinery volume "Delius and His Music" referred to earlier is exceptional for contextualizing and analyzing all of the Music, but is in no sense "a Life", - the biographical sections merely provide staging and connective for its compositional focus.

Yeah, there hasn't been much in the way of recent biographies or anything. I still feel that Eric Fenby's Delius As I Knew Him tells me more about the composer than a biography ever could and it's a first-hand account of the composer, which makes it even more special. In terms of recordings, I still go back to the performances from Fenby, Barbirolli, Mackerras, Davies, Hickox, Del Mar, Elder, and Handley (never have been keen on Beecham's traversal of Delius even though I respect and admire his dedication to the composer's cause).

mjwal

Considering and re-considering Delius over the years - in fact, I didn't succumb to his lure until some time in the mid-70s when I met another music-lover and Delius fan in Frankfurt am Main - I have gone on and off his dreamy music, with phases of intense involvement - entrancement is perhaps an apter expression. There are certain works in certain recordings which can always enchant me, to wit:
Irmelin Prelude, particularly well-done in Mark Elder's recording with the Hallé, which also contains delightful performances of 'The walk to the paradise garden' and Brigg Fair, as well as some Butterworth and Grainger; lovely recordings of some songs by Sarah Walker, Felicity Lott and Rolfe-Johnson on a disc conducted by Fenby, and -my favourite - the setting of Dowson's 'Cynara' as sung by John Shirley Quirk with the Royal Liverpool Phil. directed by Charles Groves. I simply do not know where you can find this jewel now (except on You Tube).
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter