Music Appreciation - Teaching Company & Other Options?

Started by SonicMan46, April 09, 2007, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhorn

I'm currently have a classical music program for residents at a nursing home in New Rochelle,just north of New York .  They're mostly elderly and infirm people who already enjoy classical music, and I play a wide variety of classical CDs for them, including many lesser-known but worthwhile works by a wide variety of composers.
  I tell them about the composers and their works, giving them background information and some biographical information. 
   I play virtually anything from Baroque to contemporary music, orchestral music,chamber works, etc, and sometimes play excerpts from complete operas while telling them the plots.  As well as the familiar masterpieces by Bach,Handel,
Haydn,Mozart,Beethoven, Schubert,and Brahms etc, I've also given them the chance to hear interesting off-beat repertoire by composers such as Roussel, Nielsen, Janacek, Szymanowski,Myaskovsky,Martinu,Berwald,Korngold,Balakirev, Medtner,
Pfitzner,Franz Schmidt, etc and even contemporary composers such as Carter,Boulez, Glass, etc.
They really enjoy my program. I usually have between six and a dozen residents at each session, but I'm always trying to get more to come, with fitful results.
Previously,I did a similar program at United Cerebral Palsy on Long Island where I used to live,and my audience was often considerably larger.
I'm hoping to expand my programs to ther venues,such as public schools and libraries or elsewhere,this time trying to reach people who know little or nothing about classical music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 10, 2010, 02:51:31 PM
Hello Sarge - yep, I've been contemplating getting another copy of the Rosen book for the 3rd time!  :D

Although the Greenberg Beethoven SQs Set lasts about twice as long as the actual performance of the works, I've really enjoyed him in a number of other courses (including the Bach that I'm currently viewing on DVD) - will likely make a purchase! Dave  :)

BOY! Nearly one of the last posts to this thread was between Sarge & me concerning Robert Greenberg's set on the Beethoven SQs - this was well over a year ago!  Procrastination seems to be so human!

Well, Susan & I are frequent purchasers from the Teaching Company (now Great Courses), so just received a 'personal' letter w/ a special code and had not purchased any courses in a while but decided on a visit!

After looking at the discount w/ the code, I decided on buying Greenberg's courses on the Beethoven SQs & also Mozart's Chamber Music - the combination cost just $90 w/ my discount - looking forward to both of these presentations (ordered the DVD sets) - pics attached for those interested; if you've purchased from this company before and have received a letter w/ a discount code, visit their site, the savings is quite substantial - :)

Vesteralen

My wife and I listened to a lot of Robert Greenberg's courses in the car while traveling back and forth to work each day.

Several years ago we were listening to his Brahms lectures on our way to visit a relative in another state and we got so engrossed we missed our exit and ended up about a half hour out of our way.

My favorite moment from Greenberg's lectures was in the course on Concertos where he analysed Brahms' Second Piano Concerto and explained (with examples) how one three-note sequence was given so many different permutations.  That was fascinating.

Mirror Image

My grandfather keeps telling me I should teach a class on 20th Century music and I keep telling him over and over that if I want to be a professor I have to have a degree. He should know better, he has two Master's degrees. ::)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2011, 11:03:26 AM
My grandfather keeps telling me I should teach a class on 20th Century music and I keep telling him over and over that if I want to be a professor I have to have a degree. He should know better, he has two Master's degrees. ::)

You likely could!  :)   I just ended my academic medical career at the end of this June - 34 yrs teaching radiology residents; probably helped train 500 or more radiologists over those years - miss my daily contact w/ these young people and will need to find some other activities (like collecting more CDs!  ;) ) -  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 22, 2011, 12:00:59 PMwill need to find some other activities (like collecting more CDs!  ;) ) -  8)

I approve this message! :D

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 22, 2011, 12:00:59 PM
Yand will need to find some other activities (like collecting more CDs!  ;) ) -  8)

NOOOOOO!
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

SonicMan46

Well, yet again - no activity for over a year!  :( 

But not sure 'where' to put this new arrival from the Teaching Company - a new lecture series:

How Music & Mathematics Relate w/ David Kung, Ph.D - a professor of mathematics but also a violinist since the age of 4 yrs - I've watched the first four of 12 lectures (each 45 mins) - fascinating approach to the basics of music, but requires a decent understanding of math & also knowing how to read music will help (I had 3 yrs of accordion as an adolescent - in fact just bought a new 'cheap' one and am playing again!).  More information HERE - has a listing of the 12 lecture titles, for those interested.  No reviews yet on the site - bought the DVD set (highly recommended choice) on sale - Dave :)

Johnll

Quote from: Superhorn on May 12, 2010, 03:02:30 PM
  I'm currently have a classical music program for residents at a nursing home in New Rochelle,just north of New York .  They're mostly elderly and infirm people who already enjoy classical music, and I play a wide variety of classical CDs for them, including many lesser-known but worthwhile works by a wide variety of composers.
  I tell them about the composers and their works, giving them background information and some biographical information. 
   I play virtually anything from Baroque to contemporary music, orchestral music,chamber works, etc, and sometimes play excerpts from complete operas while telling them the plots.  As well as the familiar masterpieces by Bach,Handel,
Haydn,Mozart,Beethoven, Schubert,and Brahms etc, I've also given them the chance to hear interesting off-beat repertoire by composers such as Roussel, Nielsen, Janacek, Szymanowski,Myaskovsky,Martinu,Berwald,Korngold,Balakirev, Medtner,
Pfitzner,Franz Schmidt, etc and even contemporary composers such as Carter,Boulez, Glass, etc.
They really enjoy my program. I usually have between six and a dozen residents at each session, but I'm always trying to get more to come, with fitful results.
Previously,I did a similar program at United Cerebral Palsy on Long Island where I used to live,and my audience was often considerably larger.
I'm hoping to expand my programs to ther venues,such as public schools and libraries or elsewhere,this time trying to reach people who know little or nothing about classical music.
Well a very belated God bless you and I am sure He will.