What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 09:00:21 AM
I shouldn't say your expectations were "too high," no, not at all, Poju.

You shouldn't comment my expectations because you simply do not know what they were, unless you have telepathic skills that is.  ;D

I did not comment the quality of the work, only told I found it boring (like you find The Apostles boring). Do not try to take away my rights to subjective opinions.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 09:36:57 AM
I did not comment the quality of the work, only told I found it boring (like you find The Apostles boring).

You simply do not know whether your experience of boredom is anything like the excruciating level of the boredom inflicted by The Apostles, unless you have telepathic skills that is.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 09:44:43 AM
You simply do not know whether your experience of boredom is anything like the excruciating level of the boredom inflicted by The Apostles, unless you have telepathic skills that is.

Do we have to separate you two?  $:)

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 09:44:43 AM

You are right about that, I don't have a clue how you experience that work. In fact I don't even care. To me my own feelings are the only ones that are meaningful.

Lethevich

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 20, 2007, 10:01:31 AM
Do we have to separate you two?  $:)

:D To modify a famous quote.

"In the war waged on Good Music Guide between the factions of 71dB and Karl, Elgar strayed into the battlefield and became the only casualty."
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 10:01:41 AM
You are right about that, I don't have a clue how you experience that work. In fact I don't even care. To me my own feelings are the only ones that are meaningful.

Do we have to separate you two?    $:)

bhodges

Dvořák: Slavonic Dances (Harnoncourt/COE) - Sometimes I think this is one of my "desert island discs" (except that in an age of portable digital audio players, that concept has less meaning  ;D).   Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe play these with irresistible spring and freshness, in a way that makes it easy to imagine actually dancing to them.

--Bruce

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Lethe on September 20, 2007, 10:02:27 AM
:D To modify a famous quote.

"In the war waged on Good Music Guide between the factions of 71dB and Karl, Elgar strayed into the battlefield and became the only casualty."

Unfortunately, I have no authority here.  ;D

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bhodges on September 20, 2007, 10:11:31 AM
Dvořák: Slavonic Dances (Harnoncourt/COE) - Sometimes I think this is one of my "desert island discs" (except that in an age of portable digital audio players, that concept has less meaning  ;D).   Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe play these with irresistible spring and freshness, in a way that makes it easy to imagine actually dancing to them.

--Bruce

I have the famous Dorati.

dtwilbanks

Dvorak Cello Cto - Ma/Davis et al

Lethevich

Schubert - Complete Songs, Vol.1 (Hyperion)

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 20, 2007, 10:14:38 AM
I have the famous Dorati.

Kubelik for me, blisteringly good, although slightly non-ideal sound.

71 dB

Rodrigo - A l'ombre de Torre Bermeja - Artur Pizarro - Naxos

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Lethe on September 20, 2007, 10:21:46 AM
Schubert - Complete Songs, Vol.1 (Hyperion)

As I said elsewhere, I like me some Kubelik.

longears

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 08:27:18 AM
Brahms - A German Requiem - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Rundfunkchor Berlin/Rattle

I am surprised I really haven't heard this work until now, thanks to Mark.  :)

I am also surprised how boring I find it.
Now why does this not surprise me?  [Of course I often feel the same way about Rattle...but think E L G A R is referring to the Requiem, rather than to the performance.]

Time for:

A wonderful recording of one of the glories of the repertoire.  Both 71dB and Amazon's "Santa Fe Listener" pan it, so you know it has to be good!

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 09:36:57 AM
Do not try to take away my rights to subjective opinions.

Yeah, Karl ........ Freethinkers have their rights ........

bhodges

Quote from: Lethe on September 20, 2007, 10:21:46 AM

Although I haven't heard either the Dorati or Kubelik, I bet they'd be excellent.  But I am totally seduced by the dazzling sound quality on the Harnoncourt...I'm amazed that it's a live recording.

--Bruce

dtwilbanks

Gosh, Josh was right! A wonderful recording and lots of bang for the buck

Lethevich

Quote from: bhodges on September 20, 2007, 10:44:11 AM
Although I haven't heard either the Dorati or Kubelik, I bet they'd be excellent.  But I am totally seduced by the dazzling sound quality on the Harnoncourt...I'm amazed that it's a live recording.

I find the sound quality of Kubelik's era very problematic... :( It captures everything nicely, but it just doesn't /sound/ nice to the ears, a little rough around the edges, perhaps losing a little warmth :( For great recordings I can force myself to become used to them, but I wish he lived a decade later :P

Absurd that I find earlier historical recordings fine - they sound crap and they know it, Kubelik's position is uncomfortably in the middle :P

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bhodges on September 20, 2007, 10:44:11 AM
Although I haven't heard either the Dorati or Kubelik, I bet they'd be excellent.  But I am totally seduced by the dazzling sound quality on the Harnoncourt...I'm amazed that it's a live recording.

--Bruce

I'd look into it if I thought I needed more than one recording. :)

Lethevich

Scriabin - Piano sonatas (Hamelin)