What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on October 13, 2007, 10:19:51 AM
So, is testosterone necessary to understand this music? I ask only for information . . . .

Well if you look at the cover, I should think so yes, at least they appeal to a certain masculinity. ;D

Que

locrian

Harry

Monteverdi

Orfeo

DVD

Rene Jacobs and his crowd in modern dress no less, blimey!

locrian

Rachmaninoff:
Piano Concerto #2
Rachmaninoff/Philadelphia/Stokowski

Bogey

Mozart Piano Concertos 26 and 27
Immerseel/Orchestra Anima Eterna
Channel Classics
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: locrian on October 13, 2007, 01:10:38 PM
Rachmaninoff:
Piano Concerto #2
Rachmaninoff/Philadelphia/Stokowski

What is the label on that Locian?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Haffner on October 12, 2007, 04:18:14 AM

Not anymore! J. Haydn op. 33 Quatuour Mosaiques

Wonder how it compares to this. Love QM in Mozart, tepid about them in Beethoven, never heard them in Haydn. QF is pretty fine though... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Haydn Quartets, Op. 33 & 42 - Quatuor Festetics - Hob 3 42 Op 33 #6 Quartet in D 1st mvmt - Vivace assai
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

longears

Giulini, Don Giovanni.  Need I say more?

locrian

Quote from: Bogey on October 13, 2007, 02:34:42 PM
What is the label on that Locian?

RCA. Rach's complete recordings.

Solitary Wanderer

Disc.1. PC #1

SACD

Sinfonia da Requiem
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Kullervo

Kullervo

Wow! Really enjoying these Bridge quartets.

Que

Haffner

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 13, 2007, 03:05:35 PM
Wonder how it compares to this. Love QM in Mozart, tepid about them in Beethoven, never heard them in Haydn. QF is pretty fine though... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Haydn Quartets, Op. 33 & 42 - Quatuor Festetics - Hob 3 42 Op 33 #6 Quartet in D 1st mvmt - Vivace assai

Gurn, although I haven't heard QF doing op.20 yet I must tell you that you really want the Quatuor Mosaiques' recording of it. I have several other recordings of op. 20, and this one blows the others away. It will make op. 20 a real favorite of yours: warmth and depth that would be nearly impossible to match by anyone else. This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if both Harry and Lethe at least partly agreed with it.

Haffner

Quote from: Danny on October 13, 2007, 04:43:35 PM

I really love that recording, Danny.

Berlioz Sinfonia Fantastica (London Philharmonic)

BachQ

Brahms PC 1 sans orchestra, played by some German-speaking guy in a blue shirt .......  Good, clean German fun .........

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: D Minor on October 14, 2007, 03:22:39 AM
Brahms PC 1 sans orchestra, played by some German-speaking guy in a blue shirt .......  Good, clean German fun .........

I have a transcription for piano but it's for four hands (Lilya Zilberstein and Cord Garben pound the Steinway to submission).

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 10:26:53 AM
Well if you look at the cover, I should think so yes, at least they appeal to a certain masculinity. ;D

Sort of, but not my sort (I don't respond to short-cropped hair ladies ;D).

On that subject I have to say that the habit of showing off women's glamour on cd covers puts me off big time. I resent it because it implies either that without this 'incentive' the artist wouldn't have sales, or that the potential buyer (me) cannot make a purchase decision based on purely musical grounds. Either way it's quite offensive.