What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Carl Heinrich Reinecke.

Violin Concerto opus 141 in G minor. (World Premiere Recording)
Live recording.

Berner SO/ Johannes Moesus.
Ingolf Turban, Violin.

A highly romantic work, that should be on the playing list of every great fiddler. It gives nothing to the more famous works on the repertoire, and is of the same and sometimes higher quality. It is amazing to hear this fabulous violinist. every nuance of detail is coming out clearly, and he is making the most of it. The orchestra is giving him full and effective support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Reinecke

Harry

Carl Heinrich Reinecke.
Romance for Violin & Orchestra, opus 93 & 155.

Berner SO/Johannes Moesus.

As the Violin concerto, just wonderful pieces, and well played.

Danny

Last night in church heard excerpts of Verdi's Reqiem for Rossini.  Kinda weird to hear before mass, but I enjoyed it. 

bhodges

Elliott Carter: Symphony No. 1 (1942) (Paul Dunkel/American Composers Orchestra) - A highly enjoyable piece written when the nonagenarian was a mere 34 years old.  Could be a very good starting point for someone who is a bit wary of his music, and the performance by Dunkel and the ACO is very good.

--Bruce

Danny

Quote from: bhodges on April 06, 2007, 06:36:40 AM
Elliott Carter: Symphony No. 1 (1942) (Paul Dunkel/American Composers Orchestra) - A highly enjoyable piece written when the nonagenarian was a mere 34 years old.  Could be a very good starting point for someone who is a bit wary of his music, and the performance by Dunkel and the ACO is very good.

--Bruce

Thanks, Bruce; I'll have to take a looksy. :)

pjme

this seemed appropriate for today :

Benjamin Britten - Cantata misericordium

Fischer Dieskau, Peter Pears and the composer conducting.

and some Bach, of course :

Florestan

Right now playing (inspired by dear ol' Harry):

Ahmed Adnan Saygun
Concerto No.1 for piano and orchestra op. 34

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 06, 2007, 07:34:03 AM
Right now playing (inspired by dear ol' Harry):

Ahmed Adnan Saygun
Concerto No.1 for piano and orchestra op. 34

Yes, and you see that one I did not hear yet, so kindly tell me, if you are done with it, what your thoughts about it are! :)
As always I am grateful!

Novi

Some more seasonal listening ...

Wagner, Good Friday Music (Walter, ColSO)

This is so beautiful.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

PaulR

Turina: Danzas Fantasticas Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 07:38:51 AM
Yes, and you see that one I did not hear yet, so kindly tell me, if you are done with it, what your thoughts about it are! :)
As always I am grateful!
I'm right through the middle of the second part.
It's a terrific work. Plenty of nostalgia a la Rachmaninoff, rythmic drive a la Prokofiev and oriental flavour a la Khachaturian. Give it a try, you'll like it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Robert Fuchs.

Complete SQ. Volume II.

Opus 71 in C major.
Opus 106 in A major.

Minguet Quartett,

For me this is absolutely great music.
Great sound, and fine performances.

bhodges

Charles Ives: Songs (Gerald Finley/Julius Drake) - Heavenly.  As glorious as Finley's voice is, he is matched every step of the way by pianist Drake, whose work is equally riveting.  In many cases the piano part is more difficult than the vocal line!

--Bruce

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 06, 2007, 07:53:30 AM
I'm right through the middle of the second part.
It's a terrific work. Plenty of nostalgia a la Rachmaninoff, rhythmic drive a la Prokofiev and oriental flavour a la Khachaturian. Give it a try, you'll like it.

By this explanation I will, never fear!

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 07:56:47 AM
By this explanation I will, never fear!
Just finished it. Superb music!

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 06, 2007, 07:59:41 AM
Just finished it. Superb music!

Well his Symphonies are awesome, and I expected no less from this concerto.
I am also curious after the complete SQ I ordered!
Have some experiences with that?

SonicMan46

Alberic Magnard (1865-1914) - Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 performed by the Malmo SO w/ Thomas Sanderling conducting; packaged as 2 CDs (almost could have fit on 1 disc) but at the price of one - magnificent performances (also have Sanderling in the other symphonies) - click on the image for some interesting comments, esp. concerning Magnard's death.

Friedrich Gernsheim (1839-1916) - Complete Symphonies (1-4), same number as his contemporary & friend, Johannes Brahms; excellent bargin 2-CD set on the Arte Nova label; well recommended in the old forum - this guy composed a lot of works - CHECK HERE - concertos of various types & a bunch of chamber music, which would really interest me; excellent late Romantic symphonic music well performed & with great sound.   :D

wintersway

"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students". -Berlioz

Que

Quote from: wintersway on April 06, 2007, 08:40:35 AM

HA! Another L'Archibudelli fan!  :D

New discoveries or old favourites?

Q