Author Topic: What were you listening to? (CLOSED)  (Read 9632401 times)

MN Dave

Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #22260 on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:46 AM »
The Emperor concerto. Probably Arrau.

MN Dave

« Reply #22261 on: April 15, 2008, 04:44:40 AM »
Concerto for piano, violin, cello & orchestra in C major ("Triple Concerto"), Op. 56
Composed by Ludwig van Beethoven
Performed by New Philharmonia Orchestra
with Henryk Szeryng, Janos Starker, Claudio Arrau
Conducted by Eliahu Inbal

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #22262 on: April 15, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »
Speaking of Que, this one last night thanks to his kindness:

Prokofiev/Stravinsky/Tchaikovsky - Philharmonia Orchestra; Igor Markevich, conductor

Including Including PROKOFIEV Symphony No.1, Op.25 'Classical'; STRAVINSKY Suite No.2 - Valse; TCHAIKOVSKY Nutcracker - Suite, Op.71a; Swan Lake, Op.20 - Suite; Romeo and Juliet - Fantasy Overture

A truly incredible set of recordings.  I looped it through three times and each listening was more enjoyable than the last.  There seems to be a couple more recordings from Markevich on the Testament UK label.  The asking price is $25 for each single disc.  After listening to the above though, they just may be priced very fairly.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

« Reply #22263 on: April 15, 2008, 04:49:00 AM »
Speaking of Que, this one last night thanks to his kindness:

He buys you CDs?

lukeottevanger

« Reply #22264 on: April 15, 2008, 04:55:59 AM »
Prokofiev

Piano Sonatas Nos. 2, 7, 8

Murray McLachlan

I think a more adequate performance would do full justice to these superb sonatas.

Haven't heard these readings - what's wrong with McLachlan's playing here? I ask because he's a superb virtuoso, one of the few pianists brave enough to tackle and record Stevenson's Passacaglia on DSCH, for instance, and on the evidence I've seen and heard a fine musical thinker. Is it the interpretation that troubles you here, or the technique?

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #22265 on: April 15, 2008, 05:03:39 AM »
He buys you CDs?

He dropped me a couple of beauties from the sky a few months back.  I believe he had bought a couple of sets and these were doubles.  Speaking of which.....
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

« Reply #22266 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:04 AM »
He dropped me a couple of beauties from the sky a few months back.  I believe he had bought a couple of sets and these were doubles.  Speaking of which.....

Que is a swell guy.

Offline Keemun

• Veteran member
  • It's a cup of Keemun tea, of course.
« Reply #22267 on: April 15, 2008, 05:06:48 AM »
Today I am planning to listen to works that I have only listened to once or twice (or perhaps not at all).  First up:

Scriabin: Symphony No. 2 (Jarvi/Royal Scottish National Orchestra)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Harry

« Reply #22268 on: April 15, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »
Einojuhani Rautavaara.
Apotheosis, (Revised version of the Fourth movement of Symphony No. 6, "Vincentiana".
Manhattan Trilogy.
Symphony No. 8, "The Journey".
New Zealand SO, Pietari Inkinen,

Second hearing confirms my favourable impression. I think this one is worth your time!
Especially the strings are amazingly done.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #22269 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:14 AM »
Haven't heard these readings - what's wrong with McLachlan's playing here? I ask because he's a superb virtuoso, one of the few pianists brave enough to tackle and record Stevenson's Passacaglia on DSCH, for instance, and on the evidence I've seen and heard a fine musical thinker. Is it the interpretation that troubles you here, or the technique?

I don't dislike his performance. But I haven't heard any other and I just think that a version from a more celebrated pianist could be more illuminating. Maybe I'm wrong.
"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one-half that you see." - Edgar Allan Poe

MN Dave

« Reply #22270 on: April 15, 2008, 05:29:57 AM »

Harry

« Reply #22271 on: April 15, 2008, 05:37:18 AM »
I don't dislike his performance. But I haven't heard any other and I just think that a version from a more celebrated pianist could be more illuminating. Maybe I'm wrong.

I had this set also, but gave it away, not because he is a bad pianist, but because I found the performance lacking in details.

Harry

« Reply #22272 on: April 15, 2008, 05:44:13 AM »
"Tranquillo" the Third movement of the eight Symphony of Rautavaara, I play this over and over again, so beautiful, out of this earth really. :)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22273 on: April 15, 2008, 05:57:34 AM »

This set confirms my preference for the Škampa Quartet over some other fine presentday Czech string quartets, like the Panocha Qt and the Pražák Qt.  Just that extra bit of imagination and poetry, a touch of sweetness, less hard-driven and more flexibility.

It's a beauty. 8)

Q

Harry

« Reply #22274 on: April 15, 2008, 06:08:30 AM »
Mozart.
Piano Concerto No. 9 in E flat major, K271 "Jeunehomme".
Piano Concerto No. 17 in g major, K 453.
Andreas Staier, Pianoforte,
Concerto Koln.

A amazing interpretation and fine recording. This box lets me fall from one nice surprise into another.
Thanks Que for pointing me towards this recording.

MN Dave

« Reply #22275 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:51 AM »
Arrau playing varioius Chopin pieces...

karlhenning

« Reply #22276 on: April 15, 2008, 06:23:19 AM »
The Šrimp Quartet

Haffner

« Reply #22277 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:42 AM »

I just played no.1 yesterday, and was once again impressed.  Seems like Papa Joe really was getting a bit experimental toward the end, as there are intentional dissonances here that would have been anathema in his earlier works. If only he could have completed another full set of SQs...(I'm greedy, right?)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22278 on: April 15, 2008, 06:27:08 AM »
A amazing interpretation and fine recording. This box lets me fall from one nice surprise into another.
Thanks Que for pointing me towards this recording.

Great! :) That set is still in my shopping cart - though I already know some of the recordings from previous issues. Now, if those idiots at Warner who ousted Andreas Staier - the best fortepianist I know - would be so kind as the issue his unfinished but also unmatched Schubert recordings in a similar box set!  ::)

I don't know what demon posessed me but I had suddenly an urge to listen to WAGNER... ;D

A maiden voyage for this recording, so I can't comment yet - ask me in about 2,5 hours.  8)
But it looks (and sounds) OK to me. At least with Cluytens I'm pretty certain that I don't get un-lyrical, heavy, thick, deliberate and s-l-o-w Wagner, as is so much in fashion these days.

Q
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:29:52 AM by Que »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22279 on: April 15, 2008, 06:29:04 AM »
The Šrimp Quartet

I'm sure you know your Italian from your Czech?
Besides, most jokes work only once on the same audience.

Q