What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 02:06:21 AM
No, it was the Schubert symphony box, his complete symphonies, yikes!
I shudder when I remember...... :P

Poor you... Btw, you didn't write a Concerto, but a Fantasy. I just checked. It was your opus 3. Your opus 2 is the Concerto for Cavalry, Kavakos and Vänskä.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Henk

disc 10: concertos

disc 2: Burleske, Parergon, Panethenaenzug.

Henk

Quote from: Wanderer on November 07, 2008, 10:40:11 AM
Excellent! Let us know how you like this.

Listened to disc 1. Like it a lot, but have not fully enjoyed them yet. That requires more listening.

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2008, 02:14:51 AM
Poor you... Btw, you didn't write a Concerto, but a Fantasy. I just checked. It was your opus 3. Your opus 2 is the Concerto for Cavalry, Kavakos and Vänskä.

Awhh, good you remember me of it, I thought I did destroy all my scribblings.  ;D

Harry

This one again.

Que

I'm not a praticular Telemann fan, but this is great and exuberant music making by the old HIP bunch from the Low Countries: the Kuijken brothers and Gustav. You can tell they had a great time here.  :)

Q

cal

Quote from: Wanderer on November 08, 2008, 01:26:53 AM

PS. I'm listening to the violin/piano reduction of both versions at the moment, as performed by Sato/Gräsbeck.

I heard an extract from this on radio3 the other day. I liked the bit I heard, is it good? would you recommend it? I believe it had other violin /piano works by Sibelius too .

Be who you are and say how you feel, for those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

wintersway

"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students". -Berlioz

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 08, 2008, 03:46:59 AM

I'm not a praticular Telemann fan, but this is great and exuberant music making by the old HIP bunch from the Low Countries: the Kuijken brothers and Gustav. You can tell they had a great time here.  :)

Q

Yes, that one was also a favorite of mine.

Que

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 04:55:32 AM
Yes, that one was also a favorite of mine.

I think for anyone who is into Baroque this is a great buy - most of the discs in this Jubilee set are OOP and not available or only at rip-off prices.

Great to see that you've enjoyed it as much as I do, Harry! :)
Although I'm a bit behind you in listening.... ;D

Q

donaldopato

Quote from: Bulldog on November 07, 2008, 07:48:48 PM
What type of subscription do you have, and are you satisfied with the sound quality?

Just renewed my subscription.  I have the reported "CD quality" type.  Costs quite a bit.

I have a "Near CD quality" subscription which comes as a perk with a Kansas City Symphony season subscription.

I think sound quality is ok. I don't make a big deal of it but I am partially hearing impaired especially in frequency due to a severe ear infection years ago that damaged my ear drum and nerves plus left me with tinnitus. I have to turn treble way up to hear anything so anyone else listening to my music would think it is high and thin. Thus I am a poor judge of sound.

The service is invaluable for browsing and exploring. If I would not get a Symphony subscription I would pay for the service. It is expensive, but less costly than buying a CD on a whim, listening to it once and consigning it to the library to gather dust.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: donaldopato on November 08, 2008, 06:43:21 AM
I think sound quality is ok. I don't make a big deal of it but I am partially hearing impaired especially in frequency due to a severe ear infection years ago that damaged my ear drum and nerves plus left me with tinnitus. I have to turn treble way up to hear anything so anyone else listening to my music would think it is high and thin. Thus I am a poor judge of sound.

That's terrible, donaldopato, especially for such an evident music lover as yourself.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Quote from: cal on November 08, 2008, 04:37:22 AM
I heard an extract from this on radio3 the other day. I liked the bit I heard, is it good? would you recommend it? I believe it had other violin /piano works by Sibelius too .

It is good. The whole set, while not containing any masterpieces, is very enjoyable and everything is very well performed.

And welcome to the forum!  8)

Opus106

Discovering Faure's music for piano

Nocture No. 4 in Eb, Op. 36, and few minutes prior to that, No. 1.
Jean Martin

Wonderful works!
Regards,
Navneeth

Harry

Well played this disc 5 times in a row, that must mean something right?
Brilliant.

The new erato

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 07:18:45 AM
Well played this disc 5 times in a row, that must mean something right?
Brilliant.
It's on Brilliant, yes. As to what it meant; your repeat button got stuck?

;D

Harry

Quote from: erato on November 08, 2008, 07:21:54 AM
It's on Brilliant, yes. As to what it meant; your repeat button got stuck?

;D

Nope I pushed it voluntarily 5 times. ;D

cal

Quote from: Wanderer on November 08, 2008, 07:07:41 AM
It is good. The whole set, while not containing any masterpieces, is very enjoyable and everything is very well performed.

And welcome to the forum!  8)

Thank you for the information, I shall look for the cd , sounds very interesting.

And, thanks for your welcome.  :)
Be who you are and say how you feel, for those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Harry

Dutch Organs build between 1511-1896.
Volume XVII.
Works by the following composers:
John Stanley, Mozart, played by Jan Jongepier on a Carl Friedrich August Naber organ 1848.
Monn, Stanley, Wesley, played by Jan Jongepier on a Lambertus van Dam & Zn organ 1848.
Haydn, Joseph Hector Fiocco, played by Geert Bierlings on a Petrus van Oeckelen organ 1840-49.
Rinck, Otto Dienel, Mendelssohn, Wilhelm Gottlieb Hauff jr, played by Peter van Dijk on a Petrus van Oeckelen organ 1851.
Theodore Dubois, played by Anja Hendrikx on a Franciscus Cornelius Smits organ 1852.
Mozart, Hummel, Beethoven, Czerny, played by Rob Nederlof on a Johannes Josephus Vollebregt organ 1854.

Awesome!