What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Olivier

Brian

Quote from: Mark on November 02, 2007, 04:38:28 PM
More. No, less. Well ... both, actually.

I know. Perverse.
Makes sense to me. I like Smetana's Ma Vlast so much that I refuse to buy any recordings of the piece.

The new erato

Quote from: rubio on November 03, 2007, 08:07:28 AM
The first time I hear some of Langgards symphonies, and I really like what I hear! Which other symphonies are higly recommended?

Did I convince you on the HiFisentralen?

Dausgaard on Dacapo has a new and hghly thought of recording of the 10-12th symponies, but I have yet to hear it. In my wish list, I have however very good expereince with ither recordings from this source.

Mark

Quote from: George on November 03, 2007, 06:22:00 AM
Actually, he recorded the Pathetique seven times, first was in 1939 with the BPO, then 1948 with the VPO, 1958 with Philharmonia, 1963 with BPO, 1971 with BPO, 1976 with BPO and 1985 VPO. The only one that I have is the 1976.

The reviewer I quoted above, Ashby, writes of the 1976 performance: "When we get to his final BPO recording, made in 1976, the effect is like a painter who draws a master canvas form a landscape that he has visited and revisited over the decades. The expressive rubato is intensely personal but perfectly judged. Though rather dry and inconsistent, the sound is the most all-enveloping of all seven recordings. And what a sound Karajan could produce! The passage toward the end of the first movement development sounds as if all the molten lava of Hell had risen up to surround you and singe the flesh off your mortal bones."  :o 

Wow! I never knew that. :o

I stand corrected, sir.

Mark

Quote from: papy on November 03, 2007, 08:40:40 AM

just superb....

Glad someone thinks so.

I hated this - Upshaw just sounds so inappropriately operatic.

longears

Yep--Zinman/Upshaw/Gorecki is splendid, all right!

Now playing:  Tosca Pappano/Gheorghiu --aces, too!

Mark

Try Zofia Kilanowicz and the Polish State Philharmonic Orchestra under Jerzy Swoboda for an altogether more authentic and sympathetic reading of Gorecki's Third Symphony. I'm willing to wager that most who hear this after experiencing the Upshaw won't switch back. ;)

rubio

Quote from: erato on November 03, 2007, 09:00:16 AM
Did I convince you on the HiFisentralen?

Dausgaard on Dacapo has a new and hghly thought of recording of the 10-12th symponies, but I have yet to hear it. In my wish list, I have however very good expereince with ither recordings from this source.

Yes, in fact I picked up this recording based on your thread on Hifisentralen ;D. I would also like to pick up Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 22 by Svetlanov, but that one is not easy to find at the moment. Some of the other ones I have.

I think Dausgaards reinditions of Langaards symphonies 10-12 are spoken highly of by Seargent Rock on this forum, and I think I will try them out when there is a Da Capo sale at www.mdt.co.uk.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

SonicMan46

Buxtehude, Dietrich (1637-1707) - Seven Sonatas, Op. 1 & Op. 2 w/ Holloway on violin, Linden on viola da gamba, & Mortensen on harpsichord; first volume got rave comments from Scott Morrison (and also in the liner notes from the American Record Guide)!

I bought the first disc last month, and was just thrilled w/ the music & performances, hence the purchase of the other recording - this is the guy JS Bach walked MILES (like 250!) for to hear to him play the organ!
  :D

Lethevich

Quote from: Mark on November 03, 2007, 10:10:10 AM
Try Zofia Kilanowicz and the Polish State Philharmonic Orchestra under Jerzy Swoboda for an altogether more authentic and sympathetic reading of Gorecki's Third Symphony. I'm willing to wager that most who hear this after experiencing the Upshaw won't switch back. ;)

That's my one too, it's very good, although I must admit that I only bought it because it was cheaper than the Naxos recording. I can't imagine a bad recording of the piece though, to some degree it plays itself.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on November 03, 2007, 10:19:46 AM
Buxtehude, Dietrich (1637-1707) - Seven Sonatas, Op. 1 & Op. 2 w/ Holloway on violin, Linden on viola da gamba, & Mortensen on harpsichord; first volume got rave comments from Scott Morrison (and also in the liner notes from the American Record Guide)!

Looks great, Dave.
I'm putting them on my wish list! :)

Q

rubio

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 by Bohm/Cologne WDR Sinfonie Orchester, Haydn Symphony No. 91 by Bohm/WP and Schubert Symphony No. 9 by Bohm/SD. The Bruckner symphony is my favourite symphony of all, and this performance I also like very much - it has a lot of power and beauty. For Haydn I think I prefer a lighter approach. I don't have any comparisons for the classic Schubert symphony so far, but the SD plays excellently as always.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mark on November 03, 2007, 10:10:10 AM

Mark,
I haven't heard any other version than the upshaw so i couldn't compare - i'll add your recommendation to my basket for consideration  ;)
Olivier

Mark

Quote from: papy on November 03, 2007, 11:39:40 AM
... i'll add your recommendation to my basket for consideration  ;)

I feel certain you won't regret it. ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Perfect Sunday morning music. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir with The Sound of Glory.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mark

Quote from: Lethe on November 03, 2007, 10:41:13 AM
That's my one too, it's very good, although I must admit that I only bought it because it was cheaper than the Naxos recording. I can't imagine a bad recording of the piece though, to some degree it plays itself.

The Upshaw/Zinman recording is fine orchestrally. It's just that Dawn's voice seems somehow out of kilter with the circumstances that lie behind the writing of this symphony. She ... and forgive me here ... 'warbles' way too operatically through the solo lines in a way quite unbefitting (IMHO) for such a sensitive and tragic work.

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Solitary Wanderer

Listened to this yesterday. I've got mixed feeling about his 're-thinking' of the piece  ??? At times he takes the tempi so slow that its difficult to listen to. At other times he seems to inject fresh life into this very familiar music. Anyone else heard this interpretation?
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Also, enjoyed this yesterday. Its a powerhouse performance of VW's 4th which is quite thrilling. The Mass in G Minor is also a beatiful work. I have VW's Sea Symphony but really must explore more of his large scale works.  :)