What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Currently listening to the sound of my cat snoring on the sofa behind me. A sure indication that I should be doing likewise ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brian

Quote from: Mark on November 18, 2007, 04:06:34 PM
Currently listening to the sound of my cat snoring on the sofa behind me. A sure indication that I should be doing likewise ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That's one loud cat!

Ricci got through the third study well, but with the fourth comes more reminders that this Ernst piece is maybe the hardest piece for violin that I've heard since ... well ... being born.

Brian

Quote from: brianrein on November 18, 2007, 03:55:42 PM
Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst
Six Polyphonic Studies for Solo Violin

:o

How is it possible for humans to play this!??!
not that Ruggiero Ricci really can

greg

Szabelski...... i have his music, and you don't!!!! nani nani boo booooooooooooooooooo  :) $:) :) $:)

seriously an overlooked composer....... if you like Norgard and Gorecki, you'd like him, he's like a combo of the two.

greg

Quote from: brianrein on November 18, 2007, 04:22:21 PM
:o

How is it possible for humans to play this!??!
not that Ruggiero Ricci really can
maybe lots of double stops w/simultaneous pizzicato......?

Brian

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 18, 2007, 04:31:31 PM
maybe lots of double stops w/simultaneous pizzicato......?
+ arpeggios with simultaneous pizzicato
+ melodic lines with simultaneous pizzicato
+ other things for which I do not know the words

PaulR

Ives: Symphony #4 Litton/Dallas Symphony Orchestra

I like this CD so far....

greg

Quote from: brianrein on November 18, 2007, 04:42:13 PM
+ arpeggios with simultaneous pizzicato
+ melodic lines with simultaneous pizzicato
+ other things for which I do not know the words
maybe the guy whistles and hums fuguing tunes?

or maybe there is secretly a recording of another violin behind the guy, but nobody knows except for the performer, like in Berio's Oboe Sequenza....

sounds fishy  $:)

PaulR

Ives: Central Park in the Dark Litton/Dallas Symphony Orchestra

George

Quote from: Bogey on November 18, 2007, 01:43:38 PM
Love 'em George.  Absolutely love 'em.  I am missing 4 cds (sets) to complete their run of Haydn Quartets.
Op. 76
Op. 9
Op. 1,2,42,and 103
Seven Last Words of Christ

Each of these four cd sets are pretty pricey, but I really should finish them off. 

If you want their complete run of Haydn's Quartets you can grab them in one swoop for about $240 (that's 23 discs worth of music).

No, I got all but the one's you don't have, (believe it or not.)  :o

I got them recently in a big trip to New Jersey.  8)

Lilas Pastia

Chamber music by Krzysztof Meyer (Clarinet Quintet), Lutoslawski (String Quartet) and Penderecki (String quartets 1 and 2). The Meyer work (1986) is very approachable and I enjoyed it at once. It's a long work, lasting almost 40 minutes, cast in the classic 4 movement structure. At once lyrical and questing, it doesn't strive to make a statement.

This is definitely not the case with the other works, written some 20 years before (all three quartets date from the sixties). One has the feeling that they aim to confront. They are acerbic and bizarre in both sound and structure. Lots of 'insect music', pizzicati galore and sundry weird effects. I took to the Penderecki works more readily than the Lutoslawski, although I had already had another recording of that work (Alban Berg). Reacquainting myself with it didn't make it more palatable. I found more posturing than a genuine desire to communicate.

Brian

The Chanson boheme from Carmen - transcribed for piano by Moritz Moszkowski and performed by Seta Tanyel
I really might have to invest in this glorious series of performances!

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

sidoze

Quote from: Mark on November 18, 2007, 12:58:25 PM

And by the end, I could only conclude that, on its own terms at least, this performance works.

But please bear in mind that, on their own terms, small and large crimes also work quite admirably. I concur that Helfgott is fascinating and certainly opens your mind, but those are backhanded compliments for sure, and the guy isn't really holding it together technically or mentally. IMO it's definitely a more emotional and emotive performance than either Wild or Hough (this guy is stone cold IMO). Have you heard the Sokolov live performance? Or the live Gilels? Now those are blazing Russian performances worth hearing.

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Wanderer

Tchaikovsky: Eugene Oneguin (Levine).

Wagner: Lohengrin (Abbado) ~listening to this for the first time.

Foulds: World Requiem ~from the mp3s that Thom so kindly shared with us. I'm definitely getting the Chandos recording when it becomes available (hope it's on SACD). Too bad none of my other Foulds CDs is with me at the moment...

Mark

Quote from: sidoze on November 18, 2007, 08:27:00 PM
But please bear in mind that, on their own terms, small and large crimes also work quite admirably. I concur that Helfgott is fascinating and certainly opens your mind, but those are backhanded compliments for sure, and the guy isn't really holding it together technically or mentally. IMO it's definitely a more emotional and emotive performance than either Wild or Hough (this guy is stone cold IMO).

I completely agree with you, and though I didn't phrase my thoughts as succinctly as you have, I'm totally with you on the part I've emboldened. And yes, 'fascinating' is the right word. ;)