What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

Quote from: Wanderer on November 18, 2007, 11:32:01 PM

Wagner: Lohengrin (Abbado) ~listening to this for the first time.

Excellent- picking up on Sean's post I see! Hopefully you will be able to comment on that recording in the Abbado's Lohengrin thread in the Opera and Vocal section Wanderer

marvin

val

ZELENKA:     Il Serpente di bronzo          / Ensemble Inégal

The music of this dramatic cantata is nice, but not as original as other works of Zelenka. Curiously one of the characters is God himself - a bass voice of course.

Very good interpretation.

Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 19, 2007, 12:53:21 AM
  Excellent- picking up on Sean's post I see! Hopefully you will be able to comment on that recording in the Abbado's Lohengrin thread in the Opera and Vocal section Wanderer

marvin

As luck would have it, I'd only just got that recording when I posed the question. The plan is to listen to it later today.
I'll try to post some comments, even if it means spoiling the ambiance over there in Sean's place.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Wanderer on November 19, 2007, 01:09:55 AM
As luck would have it, I'd only just got that recording when I posed the question. The plan is to listen to it later today.
I'll try to post some comments, even if it means spoiling the ambiance over there in Sean's place.

Spoil away Wanderer, I am always looking for good recordings of Wagner's operas missing from my collection.

marvin

wintersway

"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students". -Berlioz

Harry

Joseph Haydn.

SQ opus 20, 1/3/4.

Buchberger Quartet.

This ongoing series of Haydn's SQ is at Volume V. The opus 20 quartets, in many ways groundbreaking and filled with novelties and experiments. Haydn was trying to find new ways of expression, and his trying is bold and full of creative energy. The Buchbergers make a excellent job of it, it is one of my favourite cycles so far. The recording is also very good. For this low price its a no brainer really.

Bogey

Anyone here know of any recordings of these works before Rimsky-Korsakov and Ravel dug their nails into them.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

longears

Quote from: Bogey on November 18, 2007, 07:48:27 PM

A fave!  That recording of Proky's 3rd never fails to get the juices flowing! 

Now listening to the morning weather report.  Expected mild and sunny all week, highs in the 60s--more nearly perfect Fall weather with only a bit of valley fog in the mornings to make the commute to work challenging, especially on the farm roads I favor!

Think I'll start the day off with Blomstedt/SFO Mendelssohn 4.

karlhenning

Harry

Handel Opera Arias.

Arias and overtures from the first part of Handel's operatic career. (1704-1759)

From Almira/Rodrigo/Rinaldo/Silla/Amadigi di Gaula/Giulio Cesare in Egitto/Tamerlano/Rodelinda/Scipione.

Emma Kirkby, Soprano.
The Brandenburg Consort/Ray Goodman.

A box with three cd's filled to the brim with opera arias by Handel, and well done. That is if you like the voice of Emma Kirkby, if not just pass this by. Those that like it are in for a treat.
Well accompanied too. A good way to learn a bit more about Handel's opera....

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/6972417

bhodges

Quote from: Bogey on November 19, 2007, 04:53:18 AM

Anyone here know of any recordings of these works before Rimsky-Korsakov and Ravel dug their nails into them.

Hi Bill, I can recommend two recordings of Night on Bald Mountain: one with Dohnányi and Cleveland that is the original version, and a second with Abbado and Berlin, called St. John's Night on the Bare Mountain that is the version with chorus (below, but not sure it's worth the $35.95 that Amazon is asking).  Both are excellent, though.

--Bruce

Brian

If you mean the piano version of "Pictures", hop over to the early pages of the Broadcast Corner thread - I think there's a link to Richter or someone like that playing the Pictures live. If the link's broken, though, I don't have any other recommendations. There is, though, a great disc featuring Jose Serebrier and the Bournemouth Symphony, of Stokowski's orchestration of the suite (he tried to make it sound more Russian than Ravel's).

Bruce has good advice for "Night on the Bare Mountain," but I might add there's a Naxos disc featuring both versions and a couple snippets from Khovanschina (or however that's spelled) which is absolutely stupendous. Theodore Kuchar and the Ukraine orchestra play their hearts out.

bhodges

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring (Rattle/Berlin) - This was the final performance of the "Berlin in Lights" Festival here, with over 200 NYC school children dancing while Rattle and the BPO played the score live.  It was not only hugely entertaining, but a bit inspirational; some of the kids looked to just 7 or 8 years old, and I suspect they will all remember this experience for a very long time.  Here's the article about it in today's paper.

The venue was pretty cool, too: the United Palace Theater in upper Manhattan, an over-the-top ornate building with decor that is sort of "Asian temple out of control."  Björk performed there recently, and I'll be keeping an eye on events there, since just being in the lobby is an experience.

--Bruce

Harry

Alexander Scriabin.

The complete Solo Piano Works.

Preludes opus 17/22/27/31/33/35/37/39/48/67/74.

Maria Lettberg, Piano.

Wonderful music, very well played, and for me a absolute winner on all counts.
You haven't heard Scriabin, if you haven't heard Lettberg.....
The recording is excellent.
The critical essays about who is best interpretor, that I leave to more capable hands, just saying......
For me personally this is the real stuff regardless...
The preludes move me to tears and much more!

Drasko

Any orchestration of Pictures is by someone else, Mussorgsky wrote the piano suite only.

As for original Night..., Abbado is exceptional.

http://www.amazon.com/Claudio-Abbado-Conducts-Mussorgsky-Modest/dp/B000003FBY

Haffner

My girl and I are fighting  :(. But this is keeping me company.

springrite

Quote from: Haffner on November 19, 2007, 07:32:31 AM

GF over Dittersdorf any time! Go fix things with her first! Dittersdorf can wait!

Now listening:
Georg Muffat Concerti Grossi

Harry

Quote from: Haffner on November 19, 2007, 07:32:31 AM

You make up to her Andy, she is right, always.......
Play her tune, not yours.....

Haffner

Quote from: Harry on November 19, 2007, 07:39:10 AM
You make up to her Andy, she is right, always.......
Play her tune, not yours.....

Of course.

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven