Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Harry

Carlo Gesualdo, (1566-1613)
Madrigali Libro I.
Concerto delle Dame di Ferrera:
Lia Serafini, Angela Bucci, sopranos.
Gabriella Martelacci, Alto.
Makoto Sakurada, Giampaolo Fagotto, Tenors.
Walter Testolin, Bass.
Loredano Gintoli, Harp.
Sergio Vartolo, conductor from the Harpsichord.
Tactus recording 2004.

Another success release, which is well sung, and recorded.
The first in a complete survey of Gesualdo's music.

Que

Harry

Second run

Carlo Gesualdo, (1566-1613)
Madrigali Libro I.
Concerto delle Dame di Ferrera:
Lia Serafini, Angela Bucci, sopranos.
Gabriella Martelacci, Alto.
Makoto Sakurada, Giampaolo Fagotto, Tenors.
Walter Testolin, Bass.
Loredano Gintoli, Harp.
Sergio Vartolo, conductor from the Harpsichord.
Tactus recording 2004.

Another success release, which is well sung, and recorded.
The first in a complete survey of Gesualdo's music.

rubio

Mahler's 9th by Bruno Maderna/BBC SO. An emotional, intense performance which rates close to my favourite recordings. Especially I love the 1st and 4th movements here. It's probably not the most well-played Mahler 9, but it would be my first choice for an alternative approach. But there is an irritating cougher in the audience...

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Harry

Heinrich von Herzogenberg.
Piano Trio No. 1 opus 24 in C minor.
Piano Trio No. 2 opus 36 in D minor.

ATOS Trio.

Immediately Brahms springs to mind when the first notes of the opus 24, fill my room, a hefty Allegro, played as such. This is a passionate performance in which the musicians make a statement towards the emotional strenght of the music. Concentrated, very precise in applying the right amount of stress, and when to subdue into romantic ripples. It takes some adjusting towards the ferocity of these performances, for that it is, and it will take you by surprise many a time. But the impact the music has, and Herzogenberg's own voice, is quite enough to overwhelm you, and Brahms is quickly forgotten by the sheer musicality of both compositions. He goes much further in the emotional realm as Brahms does.
A fine recording, and excellent interpretations.

FideLeo

Finally an up-to-speed "Hammerklavier" on the right instrument.  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

toledobass

Listening to Lorrain Hunt Lieberson's Bach Cantatas disk.  My oh my.....just beautiful.

Allan

Harry

Giuseppe Verdi.

"Don Carlo".
Modena Version 1886.

Richard Margison, as Don Carlos makes quite a impression on me, a fine voice, as is Galina Gorchakova's.
First hearing of course, but so far I like it.
Pity there is no text.

SonicMan46

Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Wind Quintets, Op. 67 w/ the Michael Thompson Wind Quintet - have the other offerings on Naxos w/ these performers in Danzi's Wind Quintets (Op. 56 & 68) (instruments include horn, flute, clarinet, oboe, & bassoon).

Ries, Ferdinand (1784-1838) - Flute Quartets, Op. 145 - pupil of Beethoven (early compositions considered 'in the shadow' of the MASTER!), but Ries was extremely prolific (as the Opus number of these works indicates) - he wrote in most genres; I've got about a half dozen discs of his works, mainly chamber & symphonic compositions - good recommendations in Fanfare (Mar-Apr '08) & MusicWeb:)

Mark

Dave, if Ries is up your street, two CDs of his Piano Concerti on Naxos are an absolutely must. ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Listening, for the second time, to

Rautavaara, Symphony No. 7 (Vänskä/BIS)

I find it even more beautiful than the first time.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

rubio

Shostakovich Symphony no. 4 by Jansons/BRSO. A fine performance of one my favourite DSCH works!

Haffner

Beethoven op.96

I've never heard this violin sonata before. This is a cd Harry generously gave me, and I am very inspired by this piece.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mark on March 15, 2008, 07:30:40 AM
Dave, if Ries is up your street, two CDs of his Piano Concerti on Naxos are an absolutely must. ;)

Thanks Mark, I'll certainly take a look @ those Naxos offerings; do not have any of Ries PCs yet!  :D

Below are a couple of highly recommended discs from the recent issue of Fanfare:

Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel (1875-1912) - English composer w/ an African father who was a physician (and apparently returned to Sierra Leone before his son was born); disc includes 3 works, but the two substantial compositions are the Piano Quintet, Op. 1 & the Clarinet Quintet, Op. 10; he was a student of Charles Stanford @ the Royal College of Music - apparently Stanford felt that Coleridge-Taylor was his 'most gifted' pupil (in the competition were the likes of Arthur Bliss, Frank Bridge, Gustav Holst, and even Ralph Vaughan Williams); played by the wonderful Nash Ensemble - beautiful pieces & my first exposure to this composer who died tragically young from pneumonia!

Hummel, Dussek, & Onslow - Piano Quintets w/ the Nepomuk Fortepiano Quintet; Rilo Fukuda, the keyboardist, plays a different fortepiano for each of these works - about half way through this disc - highly recommended for those into this genre & period!

CLICK on the images for reviews, if interested -  :D

BachQ

Tchaikovsky 4 (Karajan)
Brahms Handel Variations (Cliburn)

Peregrine

Verdi/Un Ballo in Maschera

Toscanini/NBCSO/1954

Yes, we have no bananas

rubio

Dynamite! Beethoven piano concertos no. 3 and 4 by Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland Orchestra. Are the rest of this cycle on the same high level? Now I wonder if I prefer Fleisher/Szell or Annie Fischer/Fricsay for the 3rd concerto.

Papy Oli

Good evening All  :)

listening to this right now :

Olivier