What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Bogey and Dave's discussion of this soundtrack made me want to hear it again (it's a favorite of Mrs. Rock's; she listens to it far more than I do):

The style is reminiscent of 1950s scores for costume and bibical epics but without the religiosity. Favorite tracks: the Riders of Doom (with a chorus) and the beautiful Theology/Civilization movement.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 15, 2008, 09:05:14 AM
Bogey and Dave's discussion of this soundtrack made me want to hear it again (it's a favorite of Mrs. Rock's; she listens to it far more than I do):

The style is reminiscent of 1950s scores for costume and bibical epics but without the religiosity. Favorite tracks: the Riders of Doom (with a chorus) and the beautiful Theology/Civilization movement.

Sarge

Aaargh! I must have it!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on April 15, 2008, 09:07:03 AM
Aaargh! I must have it!!

It is pretty cool, Dave. I hadn't heard it in quite awhile. Recommended.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MN Dave on April 15, 2008, 09:07:03 AM
Aaargh! I must have it!!

It's on Usenet at the moment. Do you know how to use it?

On www.binsearch.info type 'Conan', and it's the second hit...

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on April 15, 2008, 09:19:37 AM
Do you know how to use it?

No. Maybe I can figure it out though--later.

Thanks.

Brian

For those who suggested that I could not possibly listen to Dvorak's Symphonies 2 through 9 all in one evening last night - you were right. After listening to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, I put on a Kalliwoda string quartet. :(  ;D ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MN Dave on April 15, 2008, 09:21:45 AM
No. Maybe I can figure it out though--later.

Thanks.

If you want me to do it for you, I'd be happy to oblige (I have access to Usenet)...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on April 15, 2008, 09:26:32 AM
If you want me to do it for you, I'd be happy to oblige (I have access to Usenet)...

You have mail, friend.

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 15, 2008, 08:14:41 AM
I'm with you on that. I love their approach to Janacek - playing up the folk music elements like the folk musicians they are at heart (and in practise). In the long run, however, their approach wears less well for me than e.g. the Smetana Quartet (whose violist Skampa was their coach, and also the leading editor of Janacek's 2nd Quartet) - the Smetanas find a vein of sensuousness but also of heaven-storming wonderment in this music which eludes every modern quartet I've heard.

Most interesting, thanks, Luke!

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on April 15, 2008, 09:23:38 AM
For those who suggested that I could not possibly listen to Dvorak's Symphonies 2 through 9 all in one evening last night - you were right. After listening to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 . . . .

You're a brave man!  I should not even try, much though I love the music.

J.Z. Herrenberg

As my inbox, for some inexplicable reason, is full (with your PM) - rest assured, MN Dave, Usenet is simple. I downloaded the thing already.

Watch this space... (Have to go)

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on April 15, 2008, 09:52:05 AM
As my inbox, for some inexplicable reason, is full (with your PM) - rest assured, MN Dave, Usenet is simple. I downloaded the thing already.

Watch this space... (Have to go)

Will do. Thanks, sir.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: rubio on April 15, 2008, 08:29:38 AM
How does the Smetana Quartet compare to the Janacek Quartet in Janacek's string quartets (if you've heard both ensembles)?

Excellent question! And when I said 'e.g. the Smetana Quartet' the 'e.g.' had the Janacek Quartet in mind. To my mind both are top recommendations - I hear the JQ playing with even greater fire and rough edges, and this music really needs that; the SQ have the most delicate balance between this devil-may-care approach and a more refined playing which is ideal, I think (and is also ideal in their Dvorak). The SQ, as I said, also seem to penetrate the burning passion of this work more than anyone else, and make it real for us. A slight advantage is that in Skampa they had someone who knew every detail of the piece inside and out. It is, btw, possibly my single favourite piece of music and I must own up - I need even more recordings of it!

MN Dave

The famous Arrau/Chopin Nocturnes.

ChamberNut

Bartok

String Quartet No. 1

Emerson SQ
DG

Papy Oli

Good evening All,

Schubert - Winterreise

Thomas Allen - Baritone
Roger Vignoles - piano

maiden work for me - like what i am hearing  :)
Olivier

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Peregrine

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 15, 2008, 10:09:26 AM
Excellent question! And when I said 'e.g. the Smetana Quartet' the 'e.g.' had the Janacek Quartet in mind. To my mind both are top recommendations - I hear the JQ playing with even greater fire and rough edges, and this music really needs that; the SQ have the most delicate balance between this devil-may-care approach and a more refined playing which is ideal, I think (and is also ideal in their Dvorak). The SQ, as I said, also seem to penetrate the burning passion of this work more than anyone else, and make it real for us. A slight advantage is that in Skampa they had someone who knew every detail of the piece inside and out. It is, btw, possibly my single favourite piece of music and I must own up - I need even more recordings of it!

Another thumbs-up for the Smetana SQ, one of the greatest ensembles IMO. Their Testament discs are fabulous, partic. the recordings from the 60's. The colour, mood, atmosphere etc. they bring to the genre is exquisite. The late Beethoven SQ's on Supraphon are also top drawer. Recently purchased some of their later Denon discs from Japan - not as impressed as with the Testament stuff, but early days...
Yes, we have no bananas

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on April 15, 2008, 09:46:47 AM
You're a brave man!  I should not even try, much though I love the music.
Honestly, I would have listened to 1 and 9 if I had had the time - the Kalliwoda was a substitution because it was short enough to wedge in before I fell asleep.  :D  I think marvinbrown played all nine in a day recently...

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas