What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

not edward

Mozart from the Oort Cloud. I really enjoy the G minor quartet, though the Eb major one leaves me rather colder.

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Papy Oli

Definitely a grower, this one !  :)
Olivier

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: edward on April 15, 2008, 11:38:59 AM

Interesting, interesting - are these mature, post-war works?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: MN Doom on April 15, 2008, 08:05:16 AM
I love it.

Gotta check it out now.

I'm still considering the Brahms/Karajan Symphonies on DVD. Who am I fooling, if I were rich, I'd already have it.

Gorecki Symphony no.3

Haffner

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 15, 2008, 08:47:37 AM
Greedy guts, you!!  :D  Didn't he write like 70+ string quartets?  ;D

I have the Op. 76, and my next CD order will definitely include Op. 77.  I love his quartets more than Mozart's mature quartets.

Me too. K 387 and 421 are the ones I think come closest to the quality to Joseph's opp. 20 and 33. But once you listen to opps. 54 and 74 you will be even more thoroughly convinced of Haydn's supreme mastery of the genre during his (and Mozart's) time.

When people mention Mozart's Chamber Music for strings, I always exclaim "yes, he wrote some terrific duos, trios, and quintets!".

Sarge also wrote a really cool post on Haydn's op.50, which truly are a bit more cerebral and harder to grasp at first listenings. Once they sink in though (especially no.2) they stay sunk in.

not edward

Quote from: Jezetha on April 15, 2008, 01:24:31 PM
Interesting, interesting - are these mature, post-war works?
Only the Sonata "27 Apr. 1945" is close to mature (the rest is often rather frivolous or neoclassical music from the late '20s and early '30s), and Hartmann later withdrew the work. It was inspired by his despair at watching concentration camp prisoners being marched to their death by guards shortly before the end of WW2, and I suspect the composer may have felt that the music didn't do justice to the subject matter. I'd like to hear it in a more impassioned performance: the performance here seems lacking in intensity, and as a result the music seems somewhat thin (though the funeral march that centres it is certainly powerful).

Now listening:

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 15, 2008, 09:05:14 AM
Bogey and Dave's discussion of this soundtrack made me want to hear it again (it's a favorite of Mrs. Rock's; she listens to it far more than I do):

The style is reminiscent of 1950s scores for costume and bibical epics but without the religiosity. Favorite tracks: the Riders of Doom (with a chorus) and the beautiful Theology/Civilization movement.

Sarge

Ja-AH-a-AH-a-MIN'!

Brian

Quote from: Haffner on April 15, 2008, 02:09:27 PM
Gorecki Symphony no.3

0:) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  0:)
:'( 8) 8) 8) :) 8) 8) 8)  :'(
8) 8) 8) :) 0:) :) 8) 8) 8)
8) 8) :) 0:) 0:) 0:) :) 8) 8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: edward on April 15, 2008, 02:13:55 PM
Only the Sonata "27 Apr. 1945" is close to mature (the rest is often rather frivolous or neoclassical music from the late '20s and early '30s), and Hartmann later withdrew the work. It was inspired by his despair at watching concentration camp prisoners being marched to their death by guards shortly before the end of WW2, and I suspect the composer may have felt that the music didn't do justice to the subject matter. I'd like to hear it in a more impassioned performance: the performance here seems lacking in intensity, and as a result the music seems somewhat thin (though the funeral march that

Thank you very much, Edward! I know Hartmann concentrated on writing/revising his symphonies after WWII, and as his was not a very long life, I did wonder about those piano pieces...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: Brian on April 15, 2008, 02:21:15 PM

8) 8) :) 0:) 0:) 0:) :) 8) 8)

Love this one. The first movement is very powerful to me.

Brian

Quote from: Haffner on April 15, 2008, 02:23:06 PM
Me too. Hypnotic, isn't it?

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Keemun

Quote from: Haffner on April 15, 2008, 02:23:06 PM

Same here.  :)

~~~~~~~~~

Listening to String Quartet No. 8 from this:

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Haffner

Quote from: Keemun on April 15, 2008, 03:14:11 PM
Same here.  :)

~~~~~~~~~

Listening to String Quartet No. 8 from this:

That's my favorite Shostakovich SQ, and my favorite recording of it.

Currently:

Brahms Symphony no.4 (Haitink)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on April 15, 2008, 04:51:31 PM

Dsic 2

Bill, where have I seen that signature before  ;)?

So, how's the Busch?

(I'm laughing..sometimes I wonder if I'm Beavis and Butthead)

Handel Concerto Grossi (Brilliant)

Keemun

Quote from: Haffner on April 15, 2008, 03:55:11 PM

That's my favorite Shostakovich SQ, and my favorite recording of it.

Yes, it's quite good.  :)