What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: James on April 16, 2008, 04:10:40 AM

An American in Paris (18'22)
a favorite from this fine disc...

The LP of that was one of my first classical purchases bought over forty years ago. Still my favorite versions of these two American classics.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2008, 12:23:15 AM
Henry Purcell.
Fantasies for Strings.
Musica Amphion, Pieter Jan Belder.
On period instruments.

A marvelous set of Fantasies, well played and recorded. So far this box is a treasuretrove of excellence.

I must have it!!!

Kullervo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 16, 2008, 04:20:05 AM
Glenn Gould and the Julliard Quartet playing the Ode to Napoleon:

If I close my eyes and imagine a guy in drag stripping, I could be in Paris, in the Spring  :D

Springtime for Bonaparte?  ;D

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 16, 2008, 03:05:11 AM
BTW, this was inspired by Que, who might now want to focus on the bargain Beethoven conducted by Immerseel instead.  ::)

Hehehe, so Egarr is boring unexciting... 8) Not much use focussing on the Immerseel/LvB right now - I'll do that if en when it arrives.  :)

Focussing on this instead. After going through a Bruno Weil phase in Haydn symphonies, I'm pleasantly surprised by the sheer quality of these readings! A super bargain that ought to be on the shopping list of anyone who wants to have a serious go at Haydn.

Q

Bogey

Brahms Symphony No. 1
HvK/BPO
DG (1978? or was '77)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

ChamberNut

Beethoven

Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61;
Romance No. 1 in G major, Op. 40;
Romance No. 2 in F major, Op. 50.

Takako Nishizaki, violin
Slovak Philharmonic, Kenneth Jean

Naxos

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Corey on April 16, 2008, 04:29:23 AM
Springtime for Bonaparte?  ;D

;D :D ;D

The Emp is causing a furor!
He's got those Russians on the jog
You gotta love that wacky frog!
The Emp is causing a furor
They can't say "no" to his demands
They're freaking out in foreign lands
He's got the whole world in his hands!

Staying with poetry and string quartets, I'm now listening to Lee Hyla's Howl, the poem read by Allen Ginsberg:

Sarge

Kullervo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 16, 2008, 04:39:38 AM
;D :D ;D

The Emp is causing a furor!
He's got those Russians on the jog
You gotta love that wacky frog!
The Emp is causing a furor
They can't say "no" to his demands
They're freaking out in foreign lands
He's got the whole world in his hands!

*laughing*

I'm listening to this disc, which I have fallen in love with:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Corey on April 16, 2008, 04:47:09 AM
I'm listening to this disc, which I have fallen in love with:

I re-listened to this last week...shockingly good. I say shocking because the quartets are so little known. They should be standard repertoire, played and heard as often as Bartok or Shostakovich.

Sarge

ChamberNut

Thomas Tallis - Spem in Alium (Sing and Glorify) - arranged by Kronos Quartet  **I am stunned at how gorgeous this is!  I've listened to this 3 times since yesterday.

Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 8 (Kronos Quartet)

Elektra Nonesuch

MN Dave

I'm getting old. Rock music sounds worse by the day and all I want to do is listen to Bach.

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2008, 04:29:48 AM

Focussing on this instead. After going through a Bruno Weil phase in Haydn symphonies, I'm pleasantly surprised by the sheer quality of these readings! A super bargain that ought to be on the shopping list of anyone who wants to have a serious go at Haydn.

Again this is Haydn for those who like poise and grace in this music.   The expression "nails and claws (or some such)" doesn't come to mind at all.  In other words, like Brautigam, not Staier, in Beethoven.  Try Harnoncourt for a different experience.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2008, 04:29:48 AM
Hehehe, so Egarr is boring unexciting... 8)

I would say it's an overstatement to call Egarr's WTC unexciting...let's just say that his interpretation simply favours a more balanced and receiving mind than mine.  ;)   Actually, given your interest in Kuijken's Haydn and Immerseel's Beethoven, you might want to give "Egad" Egarr's Bach a try - parts of it may strike you as being quality and beautiful.  :)  (I was bored by some movements in Kuijken's Haydn symphonies - so much so I found even Hogwood was more fun.)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Hector

'Der Fliegende Hollander' in Konwitschny's old 1962 recording, once on EMI but now on Berlin Classics, with a truly great cast in DFD, Frick, Schech, Schock and Wunderlich.

I hadn't heard this for about a year and was, suddenly, struck by how much it is indebted to Weber. Similar supernatural, Gothic, themes as well.

George

Bartok
SQ's 1 and 2
Takacs QT

:o :o :o

On the way to work this morning I listened to these. I must say they are incredible!!

Keemun

Glazunov: Symphony No. 3 (Otaka/BBC National Orchestra of Wales)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

Quote from: George on April 16, 2008, 07:28:54 AM
Bartok
SQ's 1 and 2
Takacs QT

:o :o :o

On the way to work this morning I listened to these. I must say they are incredible!!

Delicious pieces!

Harry

Quote from: Keemun on April 16, 2008, 08:27:13 AM
Glazunov: Symphony No. 3 (Otaka/BBC National Orchestra of Wales)

Todd, my friend, I would be interested in your opinion regarding these performances.
I have send them to George, but never heard from him what his thoughts were.

Keemun

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2008, 08:31:46 AM
Todd, my friend, I would be interested in your opinion regarding these performances.
I have send them to George, but never heard from him what his thoughts were.

Ah yes, now I remember - George beat me to it when you offered them in the Refusal Bin. :P  I like the performance, but this is the only performance I have so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Harry

Quote from: Keemun on April 16, 2008, 08:55:53 AM
Ah yes, now I remember - George beat me to it when you offered them in the Refusal Bin. :P  I like the performance, but this is the only performance I have so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I understand! :)