What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2008, 06:05:40 AM
So, what is the other half?  :)
Please tell us more. I'm interested by a performance by Carmignola, who did an earlier Mozart cycle on Brilliant but which has not been generally well received...

Q

It's all (very) good -- if the sound isn't demonstration class.  Playing is very articulate and lively and tempi are brisker than most performances to date, period or not, that I have heard.  I have not heard Carmignola's previous Mozart (like you I was put off by its bad press), but I can't fault his interpretations on this set.  The orchestra is quite small (comparable to the one used in Biondi's recording on Virgin, which is somewhat better recorded) and there is a sense of chamber music playing, where close interaction is evident most of the time between the soloist and the orchestra.  Abbado applies some dynamic touches here and there, generally to good thrilling and dramatic effects. (But the basic tempi were suggested by Carmignola himself, as the booklet essay indicates.)  I think the use of period instruments is an important part of what I like so much about his recording (a particular mix of textures, timbres, articulations etc.) so until I hear otherwise, I won't be tempted to try its sister album of symphonies which is performed on modern instruments.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

karlhenning

Dmitri Dmitriyevich
String Quartet No. 15 in E-flat Minor, Opus 144
Borodin Quartet

Lethevich

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2008, 06:36:52 AM
And I like it, too.

I have to fight off urges to recommend this to everyone ;_:
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Keemun

More orchestral Scriabin.  This time Symphony No. 3 from this:

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Keemun on July 22, 2008, 06:52:22 AM
More orchestral Scriabin.  This time Symphony No. 3 from this:

One of my favourite symphonies. I don't know this recording, though...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

marvinbrown

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 22, 2008, 06:56:18 AM
 pourquoi pas ??? ??

marvin

Let the man live.  ;)

[a set to die for]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Hector

The Busch Quartet in Beethoven's 11th, 12, 15th and 16th String Quartets.

I am not a great fan of 'Historical' recordings but these performances transcend the medium.

I do not expect to hear better than this. Have they been equalled? If they have I've not heard about it.

karlhenning

ChamberNut

Brahms

Piano Trio in B, Op. 8
Beaux Arts Trio

Trio for horn, piano and violin, in E flat, Op. 40
Francis Orval - horn
Gyorgy Sebok - piano
Arthur Grumiaux - violin

Philips

marvinbrown

Quote from: Jezetha on July 22, 2008, 07:00:26 AM
Let the man live.  ;)

[a set to die for]

I see Karl likes to take things literally...oh dear  :-[ oh my  :-\...........

marvin

karlhenning

Well, another thing, Marvin, is that what I have heard of HvK conducting the Beethoven symphonies, vs. other accounts of the symphonies which I like very well, does not seem to me to indicate that (*ahem*) ownership of these pieces resides with this conductor.

But of course, you like it, so, rejoice, therefore!

Philoctetes

During the day, I listen to nothing, but at night, my current listening has been Bernstein's rendition of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

marvinbrown

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2008, 07:08:06 AM
Well, another thing, Marvin, is that what I have heard of HvK conducting the Beethoven symphonies, vs. other accounts of the symphonies which I like very well, does not seem to me to indicate that (*ahem*) ownership of these pieces resides with this conductor.

But of course, you like it, so, rejoice, therefore!

I also have the Gardiner set HIP which I enjoy very much!!  Who do you like?

marvin

Keemun

Quote from: Jezetha on July 22, 2008, 06:55:27 AM
One of my favourite symphonies. I don't know this recording, though...

This is my first time listening to it.  I like it so far, but I think it will take several listens before I can fully appreciate it. 
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Keemun on July 22, 2008, 07:11:34 AM
This is my first time listening to it.  I like it so far, but I think it will take several listens before I can fully appreciate it.

Well, it's a big work, but in a sense quite simple. Scriabin doesn't vary the mood very much within the three movements. There is the motto theme (I am), which opens and binds the work and for the rest it's mostly a surging and subsiding. The second movement is beautiful, full of bird song.

Knowing Segerstam, he'll milk it for all he can (no criticism)...

bhodges

Gershwin: Cuban Overture, Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris (Dutoit/MontrĂ©al) - Sparkling, delightful.  I've been listening to these same works done by Chailly and Cleveland a lot, but this is a wonderful recording--further testament to the fine work Dutoit did with this orchestra before the relationship went south. 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on July 22, 2008, 07:19:26 AM
Knowing Segerstam, he'll milk it for all he can (no criticism)...

License to Milk

J.Z. Herrenberg

rubio

Karajan's Beethoven 5 and 6 from the 80's cycle. This 5th is powerful but it lacks a bit profoundity for me. The balance between the orchestral sections are not entirely to my preference either; especially the woodwinds tend to drown. I miss some sense of mystery in the Andante. Still it comes along as quite exciting and I partly blame the production for the deficiences. Anyway, I prefer Karajan's 5ths from the 60's and 70's cycles. When it comes to the 6th I generally prefer other conductors in this work, and for Karajan I would rather reach for his earlier versions.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley