What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: scarpia on July 22, 2008, 10:55:42 AM
Sorry, I never meant to imply that I considered them "historical" recordings, I just referred to the fact that they were issued on CD by the record label "Chandos Historic."  Judging from the samples on the Chandos web site, the sound is not bad at all.

Ah, I didn't realize the label was called that. I totally misread your sentence then. I offer my apology for an attempt at humor you couldn't have possibly understood in the circumstances. I should be pissed off at Chandos, I suppose, for implying that I'm historical too. I'm not quite ready for that label! Give me another year or two  ;D

No, the sound isn't bad--not state of the art, but not bad at all.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Olivier

karlhenning

Quote from: DanielFullard on July 22, 2008, 10:53:41 AM
Having a bit of a Saint Seans day today after last nights Prom.

Excellent!

scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2008, 11:07:02 AM
Ah, I didn't realize the label was called that. I totally misread your sentence then. I offer my apology for an attempt at humor you couldn't have possibly understood in the circumstances. I should be pissed off at Chandos, I suppose, for implying that I'm historical too. I'm not quite ready for that label! Give me another year or two  ;D

No, the sound isn't bad--not state of the art, but not bad at all.

And it will be a relief to have a set recorded before #15 was even written.

In any case, I will contact the administrators and ask them to set of a historical section where your posts can be collected for posterity.   8)

karlhenning

Earlier today I was listening to the Fifteenth Quartet, and each of the six movements has a distinct profile, and the arc of the entire piece does not fail to interest me keenly.

I really just don't see your quarrel with it, scarps.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: scarpia on July 22, 2008, 11:17:32 AM
In any case, I will contact the administrators and ask them to set of a historical section where your posts can be collected for posterity.   8)

;D :D ;D

scarpia

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2008, 11:21:08 AM
I really just don't see your quarrel with it, scarps.

I most recently listened to it in the performance by the St. Petersburg quartet which, as I mentioned above, has not favorably impressed me.  I've recently started listening the the Shostakovich Quartets in the Fitzwilliam Quartet version, perhaps I'll have a different view by the time I get to the end of the cycle.

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

In an attempt to restore the cosmic order, I'm listening to Götterdämmerung, Act II, scenes 4 and 5, conducted by Furtwängler, and the Act III Immolation scene, conducted by Leo Blech. Frida Leider, Brünnhilde, Lauritz Melchior, Siegfried. Recorded in 1938 and 1928:

Sarge

Moldyoldie

Schubert:  Quintet in C
Alban Berg Quartet + Heinrich Schiff, cello
EMI

I just borrowed this from the library.  Among cognoscenti, this is supposedly the best recording ever made of this personal favorite, albeit without first movement repeat.  Of the several recordings I've heard, I really love The Lindsays + Douglas Cummings in this, especially their 17+ minute adagio!
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

J.Z. Herrenberg

Elliott Carter, Piano Sonata (Sara Laimon/Sequitur)

My first exposure to this amazing near-centenarian.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Harry

J.Z. Herrenberg

Elliott Carter, Night Fantasies (Stephen Drury, piano; online: http://artofthestates.org/cgi-bin/piece.pl?pid=72)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

SonicMan46

Giardini, Felice (1716-1796) - Trios for Strings w/ Budapest String Trio - 3-CD set of wonderful performances & technical recording on the Hugaroton label; 10/10 rating from ClassicsToday:)

The composer was born in Turin, but travelled throughout Italy, Germany and France, ending up in 1750 in England; there he was considered the most outstanding violinist of the country - these compositions are pretty much melodic and gentle in the spirit of the 'galant style' - believe that I got this set as a bargain from BRO, not sure 'how available' the package is at the moment for a good price?  :-\

PaulR

Shostakovich: 4th Symphony Kondrashin/Staatskappel Dresden

FideLeo

Quote from: M forever on July 22, 2008, 03:37:11 PM
Why? Why?? Why???

Go ask Abbado... He may know something that you don't :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

PaulR

Shostakovich: 10th symphony Jansons/Philadelphia Orchestra

Que

SE pipesmoker etc

Another morning, another workday. Mood for the upcoming sun...

Wanderer

Good morning, everyone!  8)

Bach: Italian Concerto, Partitas nos.1 & 2 and Keyboard Concertos nos.3, 5 & 7 (Gould).