What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Charles Auguste de Beriot.
Violin concertos, 2,4,7.
Laurent Albrecht Breuninger, violin.
Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie, Frank Beermann.

Apart from the fact that these highly romantic Concertos are worth you effort in listening to them, and rewarding you with fireworks a plenty, and well composed melodies, it is a great joy to let the waves of a warm and unexpected gestures come over you. Breuninger is a accomplished violinist, that keeps false sentiment at bay, and infuses the music with just the right amount of romantic intensity to make it work, and never over blows the melodies into grotesque caricatures, or overplays the music in any way. His interpretation carries the music all the way. Beermann is a sensitive conductor that plies the orchestra around the solo instrument. All in all a balanced harmony, that carries riches, that came in unexpected, but very welcome indeed.
The sound is a tad reverberant but not disturbingly so. Budget price, and worth every penny.

PaulR

Atterberg:  Symphony #5 "Sinfonia Funebre"  Rasilainen/Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra

I love this music ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2008, 08:48:14 AM
And from me, lol!

OK, Harry - maybe I can add a 'signature' to the end of my posts stating something like * Also, see comments by Harry!;) ;D  Dave

For the afternoon, Louis Spohr (1784-1859) - Clarinet Concertos w/ Michael Collins on the instrument; purchased the disc w/ Nos. 1/2 a few weeks ago; just received Nos. 3/4 in the last few days.  Excellent recordings on Hyperion from 2004 & 2006 - CLICK on the images, if interested -  :D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: AndyD. on September 13, 2008, 05:49:17 AM
Wagner Das Rheingold (Levine/Met)

Mainly because I want to see the work. The Levine has its moments, but can often be a letdown compared to many recorded versions (most of you know this already so I apologize for the superfluity). I've read that there has never really been a filmed version of the Ring that was entirely satisfactory, and I concur with that. I believe an animated version might be preferable...

Well, as far as Levine's approach to the Ring on CD (I've never seen his DVD) I find his approach quite compelling. A tad slower than some but never to the music's detriment.

To me he opens up vistas that others' don't quite match - not that that's a knock on anyone else, it's just his approach. He can tease fine details into existence with his more probing pace; and when it's time for the music to roar it becomes all the more excitable as it's built from a very solid foundation.

Now, this of course is the CD version I'm talking about, so the DVD may be different. But for a CD Ring I find Levine is quite accomplished. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
OK, Harry - maybe I can add a 'signature' to the end of my posts stating something like * Also, see comments by Harry!;) ;D  Dave

For the afternoon, Louis Spohr (1784-1859) - Clarinet Concertos w/ Michael Collins on the instrument; purchased the disc w/ Nos. 1/2 a few weeks ago; just received Nos. 3/4 in the last few days.  Excellent recordings on Hyperion from 2004 & 2006 - CLICK on the images, if interested -  :D

I was just kidding Dave.

Christo

At present, I can't live without them ....

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

karlhenning

Last night, and now, I've been listening to the Mozart Concerto with the exquisite wind scoring (No. 22, is it?)

I don't know if this is the beginning of actually coming to differentiate all the Mozart concerti, or if it's going, simply, to be another of only a few that really sing to me.

rubio

Electrifying Chopin from Kemal Gekic - live in Tokyo, 2002.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Wanderer

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2008, 11:44:58 AM
I was just kidding Dave.

We all know, Harry - hence, the wink & laugh (and notice, NO signature added, either -  ;D) Dave

Drasko

Some mostly XVI century Sefardic, Ottoman and Persian music, very nicely goes as a backdrop to reading Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red.

SonicMan46

Tonight for our dinner music, a new arrival highly recommended in a recent Fanfare review:

Beethoven - Bagatelles (w/ Fur Elise) performed by Linda Nicholson on a fortepiano:

Keemun

Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (Gilels, piano; Jochum; BPO)

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Kullervo

Delius - North Country Sketches, Florida Suite (Mackerras/Orch Welsh National Opera)
Bliss - Violin Concerto (Bliss/BBCSO/Campoli)
RVW - Symphony No. 4 (Haitink/London Phil)

Lilas Pastia

Norma, by Bellini. Two versions, both from the fifties. The first Callas studio on EMI (1953), and a live from 1958 with Anita Cerquetti. Callas' Norma has been with us non stop ever since it was issued. However, it had been a while since I last heard it in its entirety. The Cerquetti is a 2008 Myto release from Rome. It's from one of the performances that the Rome Opera had originally staged for Callas, but in which she walked out in mid-performance - one of opera's most notorious scandals. I'll listen to it again tomorrow to firm up my opinion on it. By all reckoning, one of the greatest of all operas.

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Keemun on September 13, 2008, 05:44:26 PM
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (Gilels, piano; Jochum; BPO)

Wonderful isn't it? I've recently spent quite a bit of time with this excellent recording  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Subotnick

Morning! I've been converting lots of my disco and 12" singles over the past week or so and I've still hardly made a dent in my collection! But for time being, it's back to listening to what I came here for.

I purchased this via ebay during the week. It arrived yesterday and is now receiving its first of what I'm sure will be many listens. After familiarising myself with Morton's Three Voices For Joan Le Barbara, For Bunita Marcus and Patterns In A Chromatic Field, it's refreshing to hear some of his overlooked orchestral pieces.

TTFN.
Me.