karlhenning

Catison

Today I'm in the mood for a spiritual journey:

Charles Wuorinen - Genesis
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 8
-Brett

Drasko

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 18, 2008, 08:18:04 PM
Thanks, Milos ! One question: what caught me with the Athos disc is the strange, twisted modulations. Is it a feature of byzantine chant ? If so, I assume I'd find that in this disc you suggest as an alternative?

Quote from: Wanderer on September 19, 2008, 12:05:59 AM
Yes and surely yes.

As he said. And I'd suggest snapping that CD from cduniverse as soon as possible, if you're interested, because it's usualy more expensive (that's sale price) and not that easy to find either.

bhodges

That Charlie Parker disc gets my vote for "Cover of the Day."  Gorgeous.

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: James on September 19, 2008, 07:22:34 AM
The music inside is even more gorgeous.  8)

Yes, I'm adding it to my groaning "to listen to" pile.  ;)

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on September 19, 2008, 07:25:10 AM
Yes, I'm adding it to my groaning "to listen to" pile.  ;)

The cry rings out through Faneuil Hall: Henning before Bird!  ;D

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on September 19, 2008, 07:52:17 AM
The cry rings out through Faneuil Hall: Henning before Bird!  ;D

Not to worry: you are much further up in the queue.  8)

--Bruce

Moldyoldie

Keemun and I are in tune this morning.

Mahler: Symphony No. 3
Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo-soprano
Women's Chorus of the Vienna Singverein;  Vienna Boys' Choir
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Pierre Boulez, cond.
DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON

Several weeks ago in describing listening to Mahler's Third (Bernstein/NYPO/DG), I wrote the following: I must say, comparatively speaking and despite the plethora of written rhetoric concerning Mahlerian interpretation, the Symphony No. 3 sounds incredibly simplistic! It's not that I don't like the Third; it's really quite enjoyable (and long!), but it's like listening to a b-movie -- emotionally transparent, texturally plain, and singularly melodramatic.

Well, that description can be thrown out the window with this performance.  Not only do Boulez and company strip this musical gargantua of all melodrama, but seemingly of all such emotional pretense.  They present the work not so much as a linear drama, but as a minutely detailed score full of hidden wonders to be unearthed, revealed, and reveled in as it progresses.   I realize this depiction has become cliché as to the conducting of Boulez, but here the approach is both illuminating and most satisfying; the difference from my few previous experiences with the work is palpable.  Frankly, I don't know if Boulez makes more of the Third than it really is, or if I just haven't really heard it before!

BTW, there's a very noticeable hiccup in one spot which sounds like a sloppy edit; I've read where it's only present on the straight CD version of this release and was subsequently fixed on the hybrid SACD version.  Otherwise, the sound is fabulous -- spacious, balanced, detailed, and most vivid.  Pianissimos, however, are whisper quiet -- that bass drum(?) in the first movement must have been merely brushed against!
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

SonicMan46

Quote from: James on September 19, 2008, 07:11:28 AM
Charlie Parker with Strings

Yes, I've owned that one for a while - and quite a contrast from Charlie's other recordings, but beautiful; however, one that I like even better in this 'crossover' type genre is Clifford Brown w/ Strings - trumpet rather than a sax, but also a gorgeous album - one must have both!  ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2008, 04:50:14 PM
Tonight for our dinner music, a new arrival highly recommended in a recent Fanfare review:

Beethoven - Bagatelles (w/ Fur Elise) performed by Linda Nicholson on a fortepiano:

Quoting myself above, but giving this disc a closer listening - the Fanfare review, which is stupendous, can be read HERE, if interested; the fortepiano is an original by Johann Fritz, circa 1815 (restored by Christopher Clarke) -

Opus106

On the radio
Alexander Scriabin
24 Preludes, Op. (11?)
Pianist: ?

They sound lovely. I haven't heard much (apart from a little fugue for piano) by this composer.
Regards,
Navneeth

mahler10th

BEETHOVEN
SYMPHONY # 4
BLOMSTEDT
STAATSKAPELLE DRESDEN

Some thing authentic about this.  I think Beethoven would have liked the performance.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: moldyoldie on September 19, 2008, 08:09:34 AM
Several weeks ago in describing listening to Mahler's Third (Bernstein/NYPO/DG), I wrote the following: I must say, comparatively speaking and despite the plethora of written rhetoric concerning Mahlerian interpretation, the Symphony No. 3 sounds incredibly simplistic! It's not that I don't like the Third; it's really quite enjoyable (and long!), but it's like listening to a b-movie -- emotionally transparent, texturally plain, and singularly melodramatic.

Well, that description can be thrown out the window with this performance.

Commendable openness, moldyoldie. And another fine writeup.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Keemun

Quote from: opus67 on September 19, 2008, 09:15:30 AM
On the radio
Alexander Scriabin
24 Preludes, Op. (11?)
Pianist: ?

They sound lovely. I haven't heard much (apart from a little fugue for piano) by this composer.

I recommend hearing his Piano Concerto and his symphonies - my personal favorite is Symphony No. 2:)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Gustav

Catison

Now I'm just throwing random stuff together

Witold Lutoslawski - Novelette
Elliott Carter - Cello Concerto
Robert Simpson - Symphony No. 9

I am anxious to finally "get" Simpson.  So far it has been painful.  I just don't like his music, which is odd, considering how much I love Nielsen.
-Brett

mahler10th

QuoteCatison:  Witold Lutoslawski - Novelette

Throwing random stuff together. Catison, Lutoslawski throws my brain in random directions every time.  Novelette - superb.

Henk

Not impressed by it. The string trio makes me sick.

Really great! The sound world is so rich.

Up next: some Fedele and italian baroque composers.

Italian classical music is really the music I like. It inspires me together with the music of Rainbow, Miles Davis.

Henk

Kullervo

Set aside the Prokofiev concertos for another time. Rarely do I have such an outright revulsion to music, especially music that I go in expecting to like. Eh, can't win 'em all.  :-\

This morning:

Right now: RVW 5 (Haitink/London Phil)