What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

First listen to this:

The Concerto for SQ alone (I'm not sure why it's called a concerto unless the same principle applies as in a "concerto" for orchestra, but if that's the case why not just call it a string quartet?) is a spiky, angular piece that is more obviously "modern" than most Diamond I've heard (admittedly not much) with several dense contrapuntal passages.
The third is more what I expected to hear: largely tonal, lovely quartal harmonies (reminds me slightly of Ravel, but Diamond's harmonic sound is v. original), and long wistful melodies. The keening adagio stands out as particularly beautiful.
The eighth I assume was written much later (I haven't checked the composition dates on these yet) — much more densely contrapuntal than the third, but more stringent in its harmonies than in any of the other pieces on the disc. A first listen didn't endear it to me, but I will keep listening.

Now:

karlhenning

Very interesting, Corey!  Actually, I have yet to hear a note of Diamond . . . .

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: karlhenning on September 21, 2008, 03:22:25 PM
Very interesting, Corey!  Actually, I have yet to hear a note of Diamond . . . .

:o

The enterprising Delos series has been licensed to Naxos. Try the disc with the first symphony, violin concerto 2 and the symphonic poem The Enormous Room.

Brian

WAGNER | Bleeding Chunks!
Vienna Philharmonic, Georg Solti

I love this recording of the Entry into Valhalla. The French horns sound exactly like a car alarm, and the first two or three or times I listened to this CD I opened the window and looked outside.  ;D ;D

Brian

Quote from: opus67 on September 20, 2008, 10:55:49 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Brian. I am yet to hear the super-famous studio recording. But I suspect a fast version, especially of the first movement, wouldn't be my cup of tea, either.
In that case, whatever you do, do NOT listen to Toscanini.

TT for Kleiber in Slovenia = about 38'20"
TT for Kleiber in Vienna = 39'41" (I have it memorized  ;D)

Bogey

Mozart
Divertimenti KV 136-137-138-334
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik KV 525
Eine Musikalischer Spass KV 522
Notturno KV 286

Kurpfälzisches Kammerorchester Mannheim/Heyerick
Brilliant Lable
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

John Copeland

Still building on Simpson.
This one was dedicated to the late Vernon Handley.
Simpson composes music that I like very much.  If I were a fully fledged composer, I'd like to think my style was similar.
Pie in the sky of course... ::)

Catison

Quote from: mahler10th on September 21, 2008, 04:19:00 PM
Still building on Simpson.
This one was dedicated to the late Vernon Handley.
Simpson composes music that I like very much.  If I were a fully fledged composer, I'd like to think my style was similar.
Pie in the sky of course... ::)

I am working on the Simpson symphonies myself.  Right now I am listening to the 1 & 8 CD, which feels like completely different music to me.  It has taken me  a very long time to get warmed up his music, and I am still not there.  Symphony No. 1 is more in my style, because I absolutely love Nielsen, but the later symphonies and their sheer power and lack of motifs, which always endeared me to Nielsen, are giving me trouble.

For those who are interested, BRO has all the Simpson/Handley recordings for $6.99 a piece, plus many of the chamber music CDs and Symphony No. 11.
-Brett

Kullervo

RVW - Symphony No. 5, Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1, The Lark Ascending (Haitink/London Phil)

Homo Aestheticus

Josquin  -  Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae

The finest Mass out of the entire Renaissance IMO....  Finally something with real depth.

Kullervo

I take it you haven't heard Dufay's Se la Face ay Pale and L'homme Armé masses, or any of Ockeghem's masses.  ::)

Homo Aestheticus

Quote from: Corey on September 21, 2008, 06:06:27 PM
I take it you haven't heard Dufay's Se la Face ay Pale and L'homme Armé masses, or any of Ockeghem's masses.  ::)

As a matter of fact I have heard most of those and I still stand by my opinion that this particular Josquin Mass is the finest.

Do you even know this work ?

Kullervo

I haven't, but considering the renaissance lasted roughly 200 years, "finally something with some depth" seems to me a gross generalization.

Homo Aestheticus

Quote from: Corey on September 21, 2008, 06:28:56 PM
I haven't, but considering the renaissance lasted roughly 200 years, "finally something with some depth" seems to me a gross generalization.

You're right it's a generalization... I just find most Renaissance to be quite dry. 

But this Mass was a real surprise; it is deeply moving, especially the closing  Agnus Dei

Kullervo

Homo Aestheticus

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Florestan

Good morning all!

Muzio Clementi

Piano Concerto in C major

Aldo Antognazzi / Jorge Rotter / Wuerttembergische Philharmonie

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

The new erato

Quote from: The Ardent Pelleastre on September 21, 2008, 06:00:51 PM

Josquin  -  Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae

The finest Mass out of the entire Renaissance IMO....  Finally something with real depth.
I do agree thart Josquin wrote some of the most interesting masses of the renaissance, and his compositional language is not as "strange" to us as the composers of a preceding generation in that more attention is paid to harmonic content while not sacrificing the superb counterpoint. The Sei Voci recordings are now collected in a cheap 6 CD box which I consider nearly mandatory if you have any interest in the period at all. However my favorite mass (while not in any way claiming it superior to others) is the Beate Virgine.