Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Charles Auguste de Beriot.

Violin Concertos No. 2,3,5.
Philippe Quint, Violin.
Slovak RSO, Kirk Trevor.
Naxos recording 2006.

The second disc in my collection together with the fabulous CPO recording, of Beriot's Violin concertos. Quint is not of the same caliber as CPO's violinist Laurent Albrecht Breuninger, and neither is the Slovak RSO a match for the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie, but apart from that it is good enough to have. Quint is a accomplished player, but is too earthbound in his approach, too matter of fact. Coping with the difficult writing is priority number one for him, and thereby he misses out on the intrinsic content, not so with Breuninger. The Naxos recording is clear as a bell, but rather insistent in the lower region, basses and timpani.
Nevertheless considering the shortage of good recordings of Beriot's violin concerto's this is performance worth having.

Lethevich

Pettersson - Symphony No.8 (Comissiona) while doing supermarket shop and then walking home with 12 liters of orange juice in my rucksack: pain2...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Catison

Quote from: Lethe on October 06, 2008, 02:35:55 AM
Pettersson - Symphony No.8 (Comissiona) while doing supermarket shop and then walking home with 12 liters of orange juice in my rucksack: pain2...

Imagine if they played Pettersson over the speakers at supermarkets.
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on October 06, 2008, 03:14:07 AM

I'd shop there . . . .

The new erato

Quote from: Lethe on October 06, 2008, 02:35:55 AM
Pettersson - Symphony No.8 (Comissiona)
Is this available in digital format (guess it's the old Baltimore/Polar recording ypu're referring to?)?

springrite

Quote from: Catison on October 06, 2008, 03:14:07 AM

WHen I was going to college in the States, for a while I worked in my aunt's Seven Eleven store. Once I was doing the late shift, and I put on some Webern and played them loudly. The customers seemed confused by the music. But they all eventually found their favorite alcoholic beverage, paid and left.

Lethevich

Quote from: erato on October 06, 2008, 03:38:09 AM
Is this available in digital format (guess it's the old Baltimore/Polar recording ypu're referring to?)?

It was (IIRC) Jezetha who uploaded it, along with the Kamu 6th. I can rehost one or both at some point today if you like?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Harry

Mieczyslaw Karlowicz.

Orchestral Works, volume I.
Stanislaw and Anna Oswiecimowie, opus 12.
Lithuanian Rhapsody, opus 11.
Episode at a Masquerade, opus 14.
Warsaw PO, Antoni Wit.
Naxos 2006.

The first volume of Karlowicz's orchestral works on Naxos, and as far as I am concerned a success! Wit has a feeling for the idiom of this music, and feels at home with the dense structure of the Symphonic poems. He highlights all the right details, and is concentrated in all departments. The mood it brings out fits the music perfectly, and it must be said, this orchestra shines in these works. and as a added bonus the recording is as good as Chandos recordings, and it can compete both in performance and interpretation.
I have the Chandos recordings also, and did some a-b comparison.

Catison

This morning, I shall indulge in

Paul Hindemith - Konzertmusik
Robert Simpson - Symphony No. 1
Dmitri Shostakovich - Cello Concerto No. 1
Carl Nielsen - Symphony No. 6
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on October 06, 2008, 04:10:49 AM
This morning, I shall indulge in

Paul Hindemith - Konzertmusik

Which one? Brass, harps & piano? Viola solo? Brass & strings?

;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on October 06, 2008, 03:50:14 AM
It was (IIRC) Jezetha who uploaded it, along with the Kamu 6th. I can rehost one or both at some point today if you like?

You remember correctly...  :)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

mozartsneighbor

Alessandro Stradella(1639-1682), Motets, Lesne
This is one baroque composer that should definitely be better known. His output can be a bit uneven as he was a bit of a hard-partying playboy who had a penchant for pursuing other men's wives.
One of these husbands sent a couple of hitmen after him, and he spent years moving from city to city in Italy to avoid them. Eventually, his past caught up with him and he was stabbed to death in Genoa.
But aside from his colorful life, at its best his music reaches Purcell's level IMHO. His oratorio San Giovanni Battista (directed by Minkowski) is also top drawer stuff.

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: Jezetha on October 05, 2008, 01:24:22 PM
I know Axel Schiøtz only from Danish songs (by Weyse). His voice is wonderful, so I can well imagine his Müllerin being a classic.

It is the Müllerin I return to again and again, Jezetha. If you are interested in picking it up until recently it was avaible on this label called Quadromania that sells 4-cd sets of historic recordings -- this set also had a Winterreise sung by Hotter from the 1940s, excellent, and it was only about about $10.

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Harry

Ludolf Nielsen.

Overture <<Isabelle>>, opus 10.
<<Lackschmi>> or a Indian love Tale.
Complete Ballet in two acts opus 45.
Action from the Indian Saga Epoch.

Queensland SO, <<Werner Andreas Albert>>
CPO 2004.

First a absolute top notch recording, and the music, well, <<Nielsen>> is becoming fast a priority on my list, and this music is helping it a lot. Colorful, romantic, rich in melodies, and exotic to the brim, a overflowing cup of dreamy and emotional intense music. Well performed it is by the <<Queensland SO>>

Catison

Quote from: karlhenning on October 06, 2008, 04:26:17 AM
Which one? Brass, harps & piano? Viola solo? Brass & strings?

;)

Oops.  Op. 50 for Brass and Strings.  One of my favorite pieces of all time.
-Brett

karlhenning

Mine, too.  You should get to know (if you do not already) the Opus 49, for brass, harps & piano . . . I think you may really like that 'un, too!

Jay F

Quote from: Florestan on October 05, 2008, 11:07:56 PM
Good morning!

Premiere annee: Suisse

This is an outstanding set.

Is that the LP cover?

Jay F

Mozart by Marriner: