What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Beethoven.
Symphony No. 2 in D major, opus 36.
the AOAM, <Hogwood>

Second symphony is better in the sense that the Allegro con brio, is really a hard pushed di molto. Very good that. But this annoying habit of holding back, where the horses should run free is beyond me. It feels all wrong when he is doing this, apart from other mannerisms that tumble over each other. I wonder what Hogwood wanted to prove. Anyway the first movement is thrilling most of the time.
The Larghetto has a nice lilt, no clogging up the notes here, but still annoying habits in the crescendo's and diminuendo's.
It would have been nice if all was played alla misura, as Beethoven intended. 

Catison

Quote from: Harry's Corner on October 24, 2008, 03:38:42 AM
The last movement makes sense though, although it could be more molto!

Molto molto!?

This morning it's chamber symphonies:

Paul Hindemith - Kammermusik No. 1
Bela Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 18 in B flat Major
Igor Stravinsky - Symphony in Three Movements
-Brett

Père Malfait

This is imo a fantastic recording, but caveat emptor - it will assuredly NOT be to everyone's taste. Pérès' ensemble heavily ornaments the vocal line with Byzantine-flavored melismas and microtonal intervals.  I find the results totally convincing and very exciting - this is my personal favorite recorded version of this early masterpiece.
Lee T. Nunley, MA, PMP, CSM
Organist, Harpsichordist, Musicologist, Project Manager

Que

Quote from: Harry's Corner on October 24, 2008, 01:47:16 AM

This is a disc not to be missed by anyone, if I may be so bold as to tell ya all!
Especially when you think that it will set you back for only 6 euros.

Hear, hear!  :)
Elementary in any collection of Baroque violin music, IMO. It's a beauty. 8)

Q

Ric

Thanks for the answers about recordings of Schumann.

Harry

Robert Schumann
Complete Piano Works, Solo!
Album fur die Jugend, Part I & II.
CD VIII
Jorg Demus, Piano.

Very well recorded to begin with. And listening to this thoughtful interpretation, so akin to Kempff, and better still played on a Bosendorfer, that gives it a additional warmth well appreciated by me. I sounds better as with a Steinway. At least to me.

Kullervo

Bartók - Quartets 1, 3 and 5 (Takács)

karlhenning

On the Sansa Fuze enroute to work this morning:

Bartók
Piano Concerti Nos. 1, 2 & 3
Anda / Fricsay & al.

mn dave

marvinbrown

During the past 3 days I have been dipping in and out of this set.  Symphonies 7 "Leningrad" and 8 a couple of days ago then Symphony no.9 and 10 yesterday.  I am currently playing Symphony no.2  8):

For some reason I keep coming back to this set above all the others I own: Barshai and Haitink.  Excellent sound, numerous orchestras featured : Bayerischen Rundfunks, Berliner Philharmoniker, London Philharmonic orchestra, Oslo PO, St. Petersburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, the Wiener Philharmoniker....oh my......what more could you ask for!!

marvin

karlhenning

Alban Berg
Violin Concerto 'To the Memory of an Angel'
Henryk Szeryng, vn
Bavarian Radio Symphony
Kubelik

Brian

Quote from: Harry's Corner on October 24, 2008, 03:38:42 AM
Beethoven.
Symphony no. 1 in C major, opus 21.
The Academy of Ancient Music, < Christopher Hogwood>

Well lets begin with this complete cycle, that waited so long in the side lines. Though very good on authentic instruments, the first is no match to Norrington, or even a better non authentic instruments performance from David Zinman, that outshines this recording in every respect. Hogwood as a Grandpa of the authentic instruments era, has not the advantage of that. Give the guy a walking stick. ;D
Ahhhhhhhh, just listen at the lame second movement, where is the cantabile con moto?
The last movement makes sense though, although it could be more molto!
Just wait 'til you get to their Symphony No 4 - by far my favorite performance of that work, ever!

Opus106

Quote from: Que on October 24, 2008, 04:35:47 AM
Hear, hear!  :)
Elementary in any collection of Baroque violin music, IMO. It's a beauty. 8)

Q

Noted.  8)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Schoenberg
Violin Concerto, Opus 36
iii. Finale. Allegro
Zvi Zeitlin
Bavarian Radio
Kubelik

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on October 24, 2008, 06:46:23 AM
Schoenberg
Violin Concerto, Opus 36
iii. Finale. Allegro
Zvi Zeitlin
Bavarian Radio
Kubelik

Kubelik! Can't be bad.

karlhenning

Quote from: mn dave on October 24, 2008, 06:48:56 AM
Kubelik! Can't be bad.

'Tis very good!

Now (in solidarity with Marvin, and thanks to Tony):

Dmitri Dmitriyevich
Symphony No. 4 in C Minor, Opus 43
Bavarian Radio Symphony
Jansons

not edward

I'm really enjoying this disc:

Silverman is wonderfully alive to the range of colours in these works and brings out the contrapuntal clarity well when needed, but without sacrificing a big, orchestral sound in the climaxes. Perhaps there are a few moments where he seems technically under strain, but nonetheless I'm really enjoying this disc.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

mn dave

Harry

CPE. Bach
Flute Concerto in B flat major WQ 167.
Eckart Haupt, Flute.
Kammerorchester CPE Bach, <Hartmut Haenchen>

A absolute gem of a Concerto, and a absolute topnotch performance, with matching sound.