What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaldopato

I shall check out Herr Wetz at your recommendation.

I have a Naxos Music Library subscription which comes in handy in checking out new composers.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Bulldog

Quote from: donaldopato on November 07, 2008, 06:30:52 PM
I shall check out Herr Wetz at your recommendation.

I have a Naxos Music Library subscription which comes in handy in checking out new composers.

What type of subscription do you have, and are you satisfied with the sound quality?

Just renewed my subscription.  I have the reported "CD quality" type.  Costs quite a bit.

Wanderer

Brian

Just walked a bit under 3 miles while listening to John Antill's "Corroboree", on the new Naxos CD. I had the volume up to 90%, but rather than turning up unflattering aspects of the performance or shortcomings in the recording, it was just all the more amazing. This is a historically, musicologically important release of an extremely eccentric and almost-forgotten masterwork, in a blazing performance, with some of the best sound engineering I've ever heard. (And when the music calls for huge orchestra, at least a dozen percussion instruments, a truly gigantic dynamic range, and in the finale apotheosis an instrument called a "bull-roarer" which gobbles up most of the sound-space, you need a truly brilliant engineer.)

Ric

Quote from: Brian on November 07, 2008, 10:16:11 PM
I had the volume up to 90%,

Be careful, so much volume isn't good for the ears.

Harry

Quote from: Wanderer on November 07, 2008, 10:15:19 PM

That was the only cd in my life I broke in thousand pieces, out of pure anger.
I am sorry to say, but for me this, is the worse possible recording you could get from Sibelius Violin concerto.
Even now I feel anger mounting.
After15 years still. :P
Most people seem to like it, but I would gladly break it again.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on November 07, 2008, 10:16:11 PM
Just walked a bit under 3 miles while listening to John Antill's "Corroboree", on the new Naxos CD. I had the volume up to 90%, but rather than turning up unflattering aspects of the performance or shortcomings in the recording, it was just all the more amazing. This is a historically, musicologically important release of an extremely eccentric and almost-forgotten masterwork, in a blazing performance, with some of the best sound engineering I've ever heard. (And when the music calls for huge orchestra, at least a dozen percussion instruments, a truly gigantic dynamic range, and in the finale apotheosis an instrument called a "bull-roarer" which gobbles up most of the sound-space, you need a truly brilliant engineer.)

Brian my friend Tim Handley the man that recorded it, is a truly brilliant engineer, apprenticed with Chandos, with a famous track record of fine State of the Art recordings. This Antill disc is a fantastic recording!

The new erato

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 12:19:27 AM
I am sorry to say, but for me this, is the worse possible recording you could get from Sibelius Violin concerto.
Why?

The Vänskä/Lahti performances in general to me have seemed both idiomatic and correct as well as superbly recorded. I have seen them perform Sibelius live as well and have been greatly impressed. Obviously I need to relisten to the Violin Concerto disc, but any indications as to what to listen for will be appreciated.

Harry

Quote from: erato on November 08, 2008, 12:32:09 AM
Why?

The Vänskä/Lahti performances in general to me have seemed both idiomatic and correct as well as superbly recorded. I have seen them perform Sibelius live as well and have been greatly impressed. Obviously I need to relisten to the Violin Concerto disc, but any indications as to what to listen for will be appreciated.

Very slow tempi, all seem to be one long adagio, no variations, or almost. Mannerisms like deliberate over studied playing, intellectual statements without essence, the violin recorded without a microphone but integrated into the orchestral sound, therefore barely noticeable when the orchestra plays loud, or when K, plays as soft as he can, not that it is necessary, but just for the show off. Empty headed music making from a musician with a big ego. Sorry for this tirade but you asked for it, and I feel pretty strongly about this disaster of a recording.
And dare no one say anymore that I think all discs I buy are wonderful, I would personally steer the bulldozer to smash all existing copies.
There!

Harry

Some Boccherini to calm myself down! :P

His Divertimenti for Flute, two Violins, Viola, two Cellos and Contrabass (ad lib)
Opus 16, No. 1,4,5,6.
Eckart Haupt, Flute.
Mi-Kyung Lee, Violin I.
Silvia Walch, Violin II.
Diemut Poppen, Viola.
Ludwig Quandt, Cello I & II.
Gotz Teursch, Cello I & II.
Esko Laine, Contrabass.
Recorded in 1992.

Music that deserves your attention, expertly played, with great gusto, and breathtaking tempi, that gives the music a drive that is very exhilarating.

pjme

Think of your heart & bloodpressure Harry ! It's only a CD! control your breathing : in through the nose, out through the mouth ...in, out, in out.... 0:)

P.

val

MOZART:  Serenades K 375 & 388            / Ensemble Philidor            (CALLIOPE)

A very beautiful version, superior to those of Jack Brymer, Reginald Kell, Harnoncourt and even Schneider. The Philidor Ensemble uses period instruments. Their interpretation is very nuanced and has a delightful color. The lightness, the sense of the rhythm, the phrasing (listen to the sublime Adagio of the K 375) cannot be found in any other version I know of.

J.Z. Herrenberg

It must be the second, then, Harry. I distinctly remember your destruction of another CD, immortalized in your great opus Concerto for Hand, Hammer and Harnoncourt...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

This is one of my most beloved violin concerto recordings, mainly because of the wonderful rendition of the original version of the Sibelius concerto. Kavakos plays magnificently throughout both versions, though I find the performance of the original more compelling. There are huge dynamic contrasts, but the recording is very clear and detailed.

So, my friend, we seem to disagree here. And don't you dare come near my copy!  ;D ;)

PS. I'm listening to the violin/piano reduction of both versions at the moment, as performed by Sato/Gräsbeck.

Wanderer

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 12:41:45 AM
I would personally steer the bulldozer to smash all existing copies.
There!

I have just the soundtrack for the scene: Alkan's Allegro barbaro as performed by Jack Gibbons (in this case, depicting the vehemence of a determined mind). And cut!  8)

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2008, 01:22:30 AM
It must be the second, then, Harry. I distinctly remember your destruction of another CD, immortalized in your great opus Concerto for Hand, Hammer and Harnoncourt...

I seem to remember that; which recording was it about?

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2008, 01:22:30 AM

Thanks, that made me laugh out loud, and I just needed that. ;D

Harry

Quote from: Wanderer on November 08, 2008, 01:26:53 AM

This is one of my most beloved violin concerto recordings, mainly because of the wonderful rendition of the original version of the Sibelius concerto. Kavakos plays magnificently throughout both versions, though I find the performance of the original more compelling. There are huge dynamic contrasts, but the recording is very clear and detailed.

So, my friend, we seem to disagree here. And don't you dare come near my copy!  ;D ;)

PS. I'm listening to the violin/piano reduction of both versions at the moment, as performed by Sato/Gräsbeck.

Just lock it away, when I come to Greece, that's all! ;D

Harry

August Kuehnel. (1645-1700)

Viola da Gamba Sonatas & Partitas, (Kassel 1701)

The Spirit of Gambo:
Freek Borstlap, Ivanka Neeleman, Gesina Liedmeier, Viola da Gamba, (continuo)
Richard Egarr, Harpsichord.
Jan van Outryve, Lute.
Karel Smagge, Organ.
Recorded in 1997.

Stop the presses, and look in you purse, get out 6 euro's and buy this fabulous Gamba disc, never a better investment my friends. Very good sound and excellent performances of this unknown composer. You would not want to miss this, I am sure!
Balm for the soul, yah! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Wanderer on November 08, 2008, 01:38:15 AM
I seem to remember that; which recording was it about?

If I remember correctly, Harry didn't care much (to put it mildly) for Harnoncourt's Mozart recordings with the Concertgebouw Orchestra... (Harry?)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2008, 02:04:18 AM
If I remember correctly, Harry didn't care much (to put it mildly) for Harnoncourt's Mozart recordings with the Concertgebouw Orchestra... (Harry?)

No, it was the Schubert symphony box, his complete symphonies, yikes!
I shudder when I remember...... :P