Henk

Harry

Theodore Dubois. (1837-1924)
Entree du Cortege.
Benediction Nuptiale.
Offertoire.
Messe de Mariage.
Organ, Anja Hendrikx

Most excellent composer, and fine music.

Brian

Quote from: Harry on November 08, 2008, 02:06:21 AM
No, it was the Schubert symphony box, his complete symphonies, yikes!
I shudder when I remember...... :P
Well, Harry, I love Harnoncourt's Schubert box, but in principle I agree with you about Kavakos' Sibelius concerto. Every time I listen to that recording of the work, it really puts me off. Once after listening to it I couldn't bear to hear the concerto again for months and months. Kavakos seems to be bold in moments where he ought to be tender, and tender in moments where he ought to be bold, and I agree the whole experience is unpleasant.

Quote from: Ric on November 07, 2008, 11:32:45 PM
Be careful, so much volume isn't good for the ears.
Yeah, that's true.  :(  Don't do that too often though.

The new erato

Bach:

A stunner of a disc - also sonically!

Read more here, with sound clips:

http://www.overgrownpath.com/search?q=comminges

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 02, 2008, 07:12:30 AM
Jean Cras: the orchestral works, as 2-cd Timpani set

Quite magnificent works that really grow on one with repeated hearings. The 'La Mer' - like work titled Journal de bord is a masterpiece. Cras was a carreeer naval officer. He became Major Gewneral of the port of Brest, and Rear-Admiral. Not surprisingly, there is a strong sense of space, movement, and colour. Most of his works were composed at sea, often during his night shifts (Journal de bord). Debussyan influence runs strong, but it's Pelléas and Nocturnes rather than La Mer or Images that come to mind. But Cras was very much his own man. This set also features his highly original Piano Concerto. Warmly recommended, esp. since it's not too expensive

Now that I have had an opportunity to purchase and listen to these two discs I can warmly endorse the recommendation :)

I also really like the splendid 'Ames d'enfants' suite-a quite gorgeous work which culminates in a sonorous unison horn invocation of the chorus of 'Frere Jacques'. Marvellous piece in an extremely worthwhile package from Timpani :)

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Jezetha on November 08, 2008, 02:14:51 AM
Poor you... Btw, you didn't write a Concerto, but a Fantasy. I just checked. It was your opus 3. Your opus 2 is the Concerto for Cavalry, Kavakos and Vänskä.

Reading fast produced this: Concerto for Calvary, Kavakos ands Vänskä.  I realized  my mistake when I saw it quoted later...

Harry

Quote from: Brian on November 08, 2008, 08:50:24 AM
Well, Harry, I love Harnoncourt's Schubert box, but in principle I agree with you about Kavakos' Sibelius concerto. Every time I listen to that recording of the work, it really puts me off. Once after listening to it I couldn't bear to hear the concerto again for months and months. Kavakos seems to be bold in moments where he ought to be tender, and tender in moments where he ought to be bold, and I agree the whole experience is unpleasant.
Yeah, that's true.  :(  Don't do that too often though.

O, I am so happy, first I fight with you over the Schubert box, then I hug you for the support over Sibelius. Eternal friendship Brian.

The new erato

I've done some sampling of the big (35CDs) Brendel box on Brilliant and finding lots to like. Listening to disc 1, an old Vanguard issue, of Mozart PC 9 with I Solisti di Zagreb under Janigro from 66, this is very good. Fresh and spontaneous in fine, analogue sound.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 08, 2008, 09:49:01 AM
Reading fast produced this: Concerto for Calvary, Kavakos ands Vänskä.  I realized  my mistake when I saw it quoted later...

It was Calvary for Harry's CD...  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Inspired by I think, Brian earlier in this thread, another try with John Antill, Corroboree (1946).

In short: I find it basically the REMIX (*Extended Version*) of Mexican composer, Silvestre Revueltas' more spectacular (and concise) Sensemayá from 1938. I wonder if Antill knew that piece?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maciek

Maciek

You know, I typed "Jean Cras" into the eMusic search engine, and here's what I got:

Bulldog

Maciek

I thought so. It's much worse than silly, isn't it?

Maciek

now just started:

Mozart Serenade K 239
Academy of Ancient Music/Hogwood

good! :D

Brian

Quote from: Christo on November 08, 2008, 10:59:38 AM
Inspired by I think, Brian earlier in this thread, another try with John Antill, Corroboree (1946).

In short: I find it basically the REMIX (*Extended Version*) of Mexican composer, Silvestre Revueltas' more spectacular (and concise) Sensemayá from 1938. I wonder if Antill knew that piece?
Listening to the first movement of "Corroboree" I get a VERY strong Revueltas vibe. Critics like Hurwitz, Gramophone and some of the Aussie newspapers heard Stravinsky rather than Revueltas, did some inquiries, and found out that Antill had not even heard the Rite of Spring when he wrote "Corroboree". So I doubt very much that he'd heard Sensemayá...

donaldopato

Mahler Symphony # 10 in the new version by Samale/Mazzucca  Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra Martin Sieghart conductor. Recording of the first performance 2002. I am not sure about this version, nothing much new really and the extra percussion in the Adagio is not necessary at all.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on November 08, 2008, 12:46:00 PM
You know, I typed "Jean Cras" into the eMusic search engine, and here's what I got:

Hmm ???

Good Wikipedia article on Rear-Adamiral Jean Cras-the composer/sailor :)

Solitary Wanderer

Britten ~ Four Sea Interludes

Getting ready for Peter Grimes HD Live at the Met tomorrow  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Lilas Pastia

Cras rules! At least in that beautifully put together Timpani set. I agree with the assessment that the Jeux Ämes d'enfants is simply adorable: this is one of those collections that etch in some remote and privileged corner of the musical memory.

NB: don't overlook his scrumptious piano concerto, also included in the Timpani set (Cras was a good soloist, and his is worth anybody's money).