ChamberNut

Beethoven

Piano Sonatas No. 30-32, Op. 109-111

Barenboim
EMI Classics

Harry

Keep playing this, cannot help myself

bhodges

Wagner: Wesendonck Lieder, plus excerpts from Die Walküre, Götterdämmerung, Tristan und Isolde (Kirsten Flagstad farewell concert, 20 March 1955, Carnegie Hall, with Edwin McArthur and the Symphony of the Air) - The sound quality is actually quite good considering the vintage, and even if Flagstad sounds slightly frayed at this point, there is much to enjoy, and from the audience ovation, they are clearly having a good time.  I gather there are at least several transfers available of this concert, so I have no idea how this one (on Archipel) fares against the others. 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Dmitri Dmitriyevich
Cello Concerto № 1 in E-flat Major, Opus 107
Jiri Barta
Prague Symphony
Maksim Dmitriyevich

ChamberNut

Tchaikovsky

Symphony No. 4 in F minor

Riccardo Muti
Philharmonia Orchestra
Brilliant Classics

Harry

This is a composer that is very much in the fore. He has a enormous emotional reach that astounds me continually, and it is music I return to very often

Harry

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 29, 2008, 11:06:06 AM
Tchaikovsky

Symphony No. 4 in F minor

Riccardo Muti
Philharmonia Orchestra
Brilliant Classics

Absolute topnotch recording, and excellent performance. Very good choice.

Henk

Concert Ouverture
S. 2

ChamberNut

Quote from: Harry on December 29, 2008, 11:16:46 AM
Absolute topnotch recording, and excellent performance. Very good choice.

And I have you to thank for that, Harry!   :)

My favorites are Symphonies 2 and 5.

rubio

Quote from: Renfield on December 29, 2008, 02:30:01 AM

Symphony No. 4 - and what a Symphony No. 4!

I listened to the 5th, yesterday, which was mellifluous and impassioned - but the 4th smolders like lava! :o

Does this box set consist of live performances from Japan (the Canyon Classics recordings)?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Dundonnell

Quote from: Harry on December 29, 2008, 11:16:05 AM
This is a composer that is very much in the fore. He has a enormous emotional reach that astounds me continually, and it is music I return to very often

Agreed :)

Do you know the other three fine Erdmann symphonies?

Harry

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 29, 2008, 11:32:35 AM
Agreed :)

Do you know the other three fine Erdmann symphonies?

Yes I know them, and love them in the same way.

bhodges

Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 (Vänskä/Minnesota) - Like the Ninth from these same forces, which I greatly enjoy, this is light and fleet and IMHO takes much from HIP practice, even though the Minnesota Orchestra is not a period ensemble.  Vänskä is fast but not so much so that the details seem to be wiped out.  The orchestral sound is polished, vigorous and with some evocative wind solos, and the crystal-clear recording was made in Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis.

--Bruce

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bu

Borodin Symphony No 2 in B minor (revised by Rimsky-Korsakov & Glazunov) as conducted by Ansermet with L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande.

This work is a personal favorite of mine--especially the first two movements.   :)

karlhenning

Dedicated to the Kolisch Quartet:

Bartók
String Quartet № 6, Sz. 112
Emersons

Bogey

Now in the tray my favorite recording of Appalachian Spring:

Afternoon, Karl.  Would you like me to turn this one up?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bulldog

Pianist Garrick Ohlsson's performances of Bach's Goldberg Variations and Handel's Keyboard Suite HWV 427.  These are very gentle and lyrical performances with few fireworks and sparing use of the sustaining pedal.  Ohlsson omits every repeat in the Goldbergs except for Var. 30 where he plays both.

His Handel performance is a little different in that he digs more deeply into the slower movements; he's also extremely slow in these two movements, and there were times when I wanted him to get on with it.

Overall, excellent interpretations that have certainly stood the test of time for the Bulldog.

George

Disk 10 from:

8)

rubio

Quote from: George on December 29, 2008, 02:14:59 PM
Disk 10 from:

8)

Welcome back, George! How is the sound quality of that set? I look forward to seeing more comments about it :).
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley