What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

George

Quote from: rubio on December 29, 2008, 02:21:10 PM

Welcome back, George! How is the sound quality of that set? I look forward to seeing more comments about it :).

Thanks, nice to see you!

I have just begun (will report back once I have heard more), but Ward Marston is one of the best in the business!

You can read more here: http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/r/rca61265a.php

I know for a fact that it's much better than the later version on RCA and it appears Naxos isn't going to be getting around to this stuff. MOT did the concerti, but that's it.  

Renfield

Quote from: rubio on December 29, 2008, 11:29:43 AM
Does this box set consist of live performances from Japan (the Canyon Classics recordings)?

I am 90% certain that is the case. The performances are certainly live, and certainly quite fantastic from what I've heard so far; but I'll have to check in order to confirm where the recordings where made and/or if they are the same as the Canyon release. :)

Quote from: bhodges on December 29, 2008, 11:47:42 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 (Vänskä/Minnesota) - Like the Ninth from these same forces, which I greatly enjoy, this is light and fleet and IMHO takes much from HIP practice, even though the Minnesota Orchestra is not a period ensemble.  Vänskä is fast but not so much so that the details seem to be wiped out.  The orchestral sound is polished, vigorous and with some evocative wind solos, and the crystal-clear recording was made in Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis.

--Bruce

Have you heard their recently-released 7th, coupled with the 2nd?

A fantastic recording, one of the best (if not the best) in their cycle, in my view: propulsive and incisive as all the rest of them, but also magnetic and searching unlike any other modern recording of the symphony I've encountered.

In fact, its masterfully-applied restraint brought to mind Toscanini's 1936 New York 7th - my benchmark for the piece.

Also, welcome back, George!

Ric

Chailly did a great performance on The Rite of Spring in this recording. Very impressive sound.

George

karlhenning

Bartók
A csodálatos mandarin (The Miraculous Mandarin), Opus 19/Sz. 73
BBC Symphony
Doráti

Quote from: Bogey on December 29, 2008, 01:24:22 PM
Afternoon, Karl.  Would you like me to turn this one up?

Yes, please!

Quote from: Bulldog on December 29, 2008, 02:12:27 PM
Pianist Garrick Ohlsson's performances of Bach's Goldberg Variations and Handel's Keyboard Suite HWV 427.  These are very gentle and lyrical performances with few fireworks and sparing use of the sustaining pedal.  Ohlsson omits every repeat in the Goldbergs except for Var. 30 where he plays both.

His Handel performance is a little different in that he digs more deeply into the slower movements; he's also extremely slow in these two movements, and there were times when I wanted him to get on with it.

Overall, excellent interpretations that have certainly stood the test of time for the Bulldog.

I've greatly enjoyed his performances of both Chopin & Wuorinen, Don.

Renfield

I really could not resist giving the 7th a spin after I mentioned it, above. Such an amazing recording! 0:)

Bogey

Quote from: Renfield on December 29, 2008, 02:49:38 PM

I really could not resist giving the 7th a spin after I mentioned it, above. Such an amazing recording! 0:)

And continued thanks to you and others making sure I put this one on my shelf as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Zappa
"Zoot Allures"
from YCDTOSA

Sibelius
Öinen ratsastus and auringonnousu (Night Ride and Sunrise), Opus 55
LSO
Doráti

This site seems to have shuttered up; pity!

karlhenning

Sibelius
Luonnotar, Opus 70
Dame Gwyneth Jones, sop
LSO
Doráti

Bu

Getting acquainted with the complete ballet score:

Quote from: Renfield on December 29, 2008, 02:49:38 PM

Very interesting.  I have the later, complete symphony set released by RCA and wonder how those 30's records of the Fifth and Seventh compare to those other recordings.  

Lilas Pastia

Samuel Scheidt (1587-1654): Tabulatura Nova. Kevin Komisaruk, Organ. I believe TN is a compilation of some scope, but the notes here fail to let us know which portion of Scheidt's Magnum Opus have been selected. Be that as it may, this is quite splendid music. Scheidt 'invented' the varied choral (i.e. instrumental variations on a sung choral). This compilation comprises 5 such pieces, as well as a toccata, an alamande and a fantasia. Everything is quite substantial, with 8 works clocking in at some 77 minutes. Quite a find for me, as apart from some Telemann and vocal/choral Schütz, Bach's predecessors are a big blind spot in my musical culture.

I've selected this quote from SCHERZO MAGAZINE (Spain, January 2007) to serve as an echo of my own impression on the disc: "Komisaruk's performance is characterized by clarity in articulation, which gives the listener an immediate and complete perception of the music that goes beyond the printed page. His ability and extreme facility with registration should also be mentioned."  When it comes to instrumental music, the performer has nowhere to hide. In this particular instance it was clear to me from the start that this was both illuminating and stimulating. Not a minute of my listening time passed with less than complete concentration. Scheidt's music is not of the 'learned' type, nor does it attempt to dazzle à la Buxtehude. The artistic and practical elements seem to be in perfect balance, much like Bach's two and three-part Inventions.

karlhenning

Ravel
Piano Trio in A Minor
Nash Ensemble

Fëanor

IMO, both the Schostakovich and Schnittke are wonderful pieces -- I had not heard them before this recording.  The performance and sound are very fine as well.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 29, 2008, 03:29:15 PM
Samuel Scheidt (1587-1654): Tabulatura Nova. Kevin Komisaruk, Organ. I believe TN is a compilation of some scope, but the notes here fail to let us know which portion of Scheidt's Magnum Opus have been selected. Be that as it may, this is quite splendid music. Scheidt 'invented' the varied choral (i.e. instrumental variations on a sung choral). This compilation comprises 5 such pieces, as well as a toccata, an alamande and a fantasia. Everything is quite substantial, with 8 works clocking in at some 77 minutes. Quite a find for me, as apart from some Telemann and vocal/choral Schütz, Bach's predecessors are a big blind spot in my musical culture.

I've selected this quote from SCHERZO MAGAZINE (Spain, January 2007) to serve as an echo of my own impression on the disc: "Komisaruk's performance is characterized by clarity in articulation, which gives the listener an immediate and complete perception of the music that goes beyond the printed page. His ability and extreme facility with registration should also be mentioned."  When it comes to instrumental music, the performer has nowhere to hide. In this particular instance it was clear to me from the start that this was both illuminating and stimulating. Not a minute of my listening time passed with less than complete concentration. Scheidt's music is not of the 'learned' type, nor does it attempt to dazzle à la Buxtehude. The artistic and practical elements seem to be in perfect balance, much like Bach's two and three-part Inventions.

Delighted that this has turned out so well, André!

karlhenning

Quote from: Ric on December 29, 2008, 02:33:53 PM
Chailly did a great performance on The Rite of Spring in this recording. Very impressive sound.

This looks like a very nice reissue.  (Not a temptation for me . . . I have so many excellent turns of Le sacre & Petrushka already, and excellent accounts of Apollo & Jeu de cartes, and I tend to prefer my L'oiseau de feu complete . . . .)

Brian

Valse Triste from this, to see if the album is any good:

karlhenning

Sergei Sergeyevich
Le pas d'acier, Opus 41
Cologne West German Radio Symphony
Mikhail Jurowski

Lethevich

Ruggles

Don't know if I like it.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que