What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Surprised that I like this. There is a fine no-nonsense quality to the playing.

Edit: Actually, it's beginning to grate a little. There is something kind of flat/unvaried in the tone, it gives the slight impression that she is struggling a little just to perform it correctly...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

EDIT: Not to torment our Dave any further  8), but.... this sounds simply delightful! :)
As far as I can judge without comparison, the performances are superb. And beautifully recorded, in line with BIS' reputation.

Q

Opus106

Quote from: opus67 on January 30, 2009, 07:32:40 AM
Bruckner 9 was something I was planning to listen to, but I then settled for something lighter.

Aborted plan now put into action.

Bruckner
Symphony No. 9
Munich Phil./Jochum

Live performance recorded on 20, July 1983.
Regards,
Navneeth

Renfield

Hmm...

I'd call this an "eight out of ten" recording, deliberately avoiding numbers for the sake of not awarding it a score as such.

But it's not perfect, nor is it outstanding, mostly due to the slight slackening of pace every once in a while in the latter movements. However, the opening movement is superb, and if the orchestral playing were any more polished, it would reflect itself. :o :P

Do sample for how well Mahler's 5th can be played, but do not sample for how well Mahler's 5th can be performed.

(A shame, as that opening movement, ominously no-nonsense, elicited expectations the rest of the recording did not consistently deliver on. :()

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on January 31, 2009, 01:37:27 AM
VERY good news, thanks Tasos!  :)

Yes, Tasos - thanks for the explanation above; only my second order from MDT, so unfamiliar w/ their policies - Dave  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on January 31, 2009, 03:44:29 AM

EDIT: Not to torment our Dave any further  8), but.... this sounds simply delightful! :)
As far as I can judge without comparison, the performances are superb. And beautifully recorded, in line with BIS' reputation.

Q - I've recovered from the shock of a few days ago -  ;) ;D  Spanyi is on my wish list, just need to decide which ones for starters! Dave

Peregrine

Tried once more to listen to the famous Mahler 3/Horenstein, but just can't get past the wacky recording balance. Put on Haitink instead, as haven't listened to this performance that much:

Yes, we have no bananas

SonicMan46

Karl Goldmark (1830-1915) - Piano Quintets w/ Oliver Triendl & Quatuor Sine Nomine - my second listen and not sure there is much comparative competition on the market; romantic piano/string writing - highly recommended in Fanfare (Jan-Feb '09 by Jerry Dubins) -  :D

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on January 31, 2009, 12:31:49 AM
I got the same e-mail from them; that's their way of saying that the item is in backorder. They usually ship the other - already available -  items so as not to delay deliveries unnecessarily and then ship the backordered item separately at the same price and at no extra shipping cost. So, as long as the 13.46 number is quoted in your (and my) confirmation e-mail and at your orders' page on their website, you're OK. Worry not, they have excellent customer service.
I have a slightly different MDT problem ... will post about it elsewhere.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: opus67 on January 31, 2009, 05:00:43 AM
Aborted plan now put into action.

Bruckner
Symphony No. 9
Munich Phil./Jochum

Live performance recorded on 20, July 1983.

I haven't heard that one, but it's probably excellent. Last year a download of Jochum's last concert was posted here (I think it was courtesy of MForever, probably in the Mystery Orchestra thread). It's a performance of the 9th dating from January 1987, also with the MPO. To my ears it easily surpasses his commercial accounts of the 9th. Actually, the 1980s may well have been his best Bruckner period (a great Amsterdam 5th and a sublime Bamberg 8th).

Peregrine

A real classic:

Yes, we have no bananas

Opus106

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 31, 2009, 07:46:20 AM
I haven't heard that one, but it's probably excellent. Last year a download of Jochum's last concert was posted here (I think it was courtesy of MForever, probably in the Mystery Orchestra thread). It's a performance of the 9th dating from January 1987, also with the MPO. To my ears it easily surpasses his commercial accounts of the 9th. Actually, the 1980s may well have been his best Bruckner period (a great Amsterdam 5th and a sublime Bamberg 8th).

We're most likely referring to the same recording. :) The '87 date is incorrect, actually. (As per John Berky, at least.)

I also have the Bamberg 8th, but I haven't yet "gotten into" the symphony. And I would be interested in the 5th if it's available for download. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Debussy
Images pour orchestre
Cz Phil
Serge Baudo

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 30, 2009, 04:10:01 PM
QuoteDebussy
Danses sacrée et profane
Cz Phil
Serge Baudo

This is still my favorite Debussy work.   0:)

Right up there pour moi, aussi.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Coopmv

New to the forum.  I am Stuart, a friend of George...

Now playing Bach Die Kunst der Fuge by Tatiana Nikolayeva

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Die-Kunst-der-Fugue/dp/B000002ZS9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233427107&sr=1-1

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on January 31, 2009, 09:38:59 AM
New to the forum.  I am Stuart, a friend of George...

Now playing Bach Die Kunst der Fuge by Tatiana Nikolayeva

Hi, Stuart - welcome to the GMG Forum!  :D  Quite easy to add an image (and even the website URL - click on pic above) -  :)

SonicMan46

Johann Gottlieb Goldberg (1727-1756) - Harpsichord Concertos & Chamber Music w/ several different groups on the excellent MDG label; claimed to be the original performer of Bach's Goldberg Variations, hence the name, but not completely validated, apparently? -  :D