Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 31, 2009, 11:09:09 AM
Good morning everyone!

Starting this lovely Autumn morning with:

Disc.1.

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 11:10:16 AM
How is it?

Stunningly beautiful. Chopin gets the due credit for developing the Nocturne into a high art form, but for me, Field's Nocturnes are less 'busy' and better for it. Wisful, nostalgic tones which suit looking through a window and watching the Autumn rain.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 31, 2009, 11:22:36 AM
Stunningly beautiful. Chopin gets the due credit for developing the Nocturne into a high art form, but for me, Field's Nocturnes are less 'busy' and better for it. Wisful, nostalgic tones which suit looking through a window and watching the Autumn rain.

Yes!

I have this one, and love it.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 11:27:47 AM
Yes!

I have this one, and love it.

Quote from: George on March 31, 2009, 11:28:30 AM
Ditto.  :)

I considered that one, but it's not 'Complete'. Is that a single disc of highlights? I decided to go for the two disc complete set - all 18 Nocturnes.

Despite that, I'm interested to hear John O'Conner's interpretations  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 31, 2009, 11:33:20 AM
I considered that one, but it's not 'Complete'. Is that a single disc of highlights? I decided to go for the two disc complete set - all 18 Nocturnes.

Despite that, I'm interested to hear John O'Conner's interpretations  :)

Yeah, it's one disc. I need more!! :)

Benji

William Schuman - New England Triptych. Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra - José Serebrier.

I really love the timpani solo that opens the first movement Be glad then, America, which sets the mood perfectly. And of course the rest of the piece keeps the timpanist busy and no doubt happy. Maybe not quite Finale to Mahler's 7th busy/happy, but getting there!  8)

ChamberNut

Hammer time!  8)

Beethoven

Piano Sonata No. 29 in B flat major, Op. 106  Hammerklavier

Barenboim
EMI Classics

Dr. Dread

Benji

Can't touch this!

William Schuman - Symphony No.3. New York Philharmonic - Bernstein.

SonicMan46

Debussy, Claude - Complete Works for Piano, Vol. 1 w/ Jean-Efflam Bavouzet; already own Walter Gieseking in these recordings from the early 1950s - sound is not great, plus Bavouzet has received some great recommendations in his exploration of these Debussy compositions - already have other Debussy discs of solo piano music and the Chandos pricing is not cheap (will a 'box set' come out in the future?) - enjoyed my first listen but will do some back-to-back comparisions -  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 11:27:47 AM

Chris, Dave, & George - I've had that Nocturnes disc for years, and the performance is wonderful - would not mind having more of these works that obviously were an important influence for Chopin; Miceal O'Rourke seems to be 'specializing' in this composer - added below are two other CDs that I own of Field's music performed by O'Rourke - not sure 'how' available these are at the moment, but both can certainly be recommended.

Now, another interesting question is that John Field's dates (1782-1837) place him in that fascinating transitional period of late classical-early Romantic periods, and of course the evolution of the piano from the forte to the more 'modern' pianos - curious if Field's Nocturnes have been performed on the fortepiano - have not checked myself yet, but others may already know?  Dave  :D

George

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on March 31, 2009, 11:33:20 AM

It's got 15. Frustratingly, the other 3 appear here, coupled with the Field sonatas. They would have easily fit on the disc with the other 15, think, for that CD only has 65 minutes on it.

RussellG

Second spin.  I love how you can really crank this up and it sounds totally awesome.  1985:

Frumaster

I liked the St. Matthew Passion by Herreweghe so much that I just ordered the Mass in B Minor and the St. John Passion that he conducted also.  I think I am going to hunt down even more Baroque and Renaissance music on the Harmonia Mundi label because at first glance they seem to have great packaging and superb sound quality.

Johann Christoph Bach - Ach, Dass Ich Wassers Gnug Hatte on this disc really caught my attention

Coopmv

Quote from: Frumaster on March 31, 2009, 04:20:45 PM
I liked the St. Matthew Passion by Herreweghe so much that I just ordered the Mass in B Minor and the St. John Passion that he conducted also.  I think I am going to hunt down even more Baroque and Renaissance music on the Harmonia Mundi label because at first glance they seem to have great packaging and superb sound quality.

Johann Christoph Bach - Ach, Dass Ich Wassers Gnug Hatte on this disc really caught my attention

I am a late comer to Herreweghe's Bach Passions.  I may consider the Mass in B Minor as well ...

Dr. Dread

Coopmv

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 05:42:37 PM

LvB Syms 2 & 7

The whole purpose of my getting this set is to get the Bruckner and Haydn symphonies I did not have, as getting those singles would have been quite costly even if they are still available ...

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Coopmv on March 31, 2009, 06:01:23 PM
The whole purpose of my getting this set is to get the Bruckner and Haydn symphonies I did not have, as getting those singles would have been quite costly even if they are still available ...

I didn't have much Karajan at all, so that's why I bought it.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 06:02:35 PM
I didn't have much Karajan at all, so that's why I bought it.

I ended up getting a bunch of duplicates because of this set.