What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I am listening to the greatest minimalist work ever composed.

Metamorphosen by Richard Strauss.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2009, 12:01:49 PM
I am listening to the greatest minimalist work ever composed.

Metamorphosen by Richard Strauss.

Is it considered a minimalist work?  I did not know that.  :)

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 02, 2009, 12:09:55 PM
Is it considered a minimalist work?  I did not know that.  :)
Well, um, let's just say I consider it a minimalist work.  :)

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2009, 12:11:07 PM
Well, um, let's just say I consider it a minimalist work.  :)

:)

Well, whatever it is, it's a gorgeous work indeed!  0:)

Jay F

The kid next door is playing basketball, so I decided to listen to iTunes on my headphones, on "shuffle." After Wilco, Lt. Kije, and "Too Darn Hot" by Ella, the thing settled on, I kid you not, Mahler's Seventh, by Lorin Maazel, which I don't think I've ever listened to. It began in the middle of the first movement, thanks to all those stops they inserted in the earliest CDs, and it is very slow in an interesting way. Very slow. But I'm enjoying it enough that I took it off "shuffle."

Now I have something to thank that darned stupid kid and his stupid basketball for.

Bulldog

Quote from: nicht schleppend on April 02, 2009, 12:24:47 PM

Now I have something to thank that darned stupid kid and his stupid basketball for.

What's your problem with basketball? 

rubio

I've listened to these two discs. The Richter Rachmaninov disc is a firework of storming, deep and probing playing. For the Rach Preludes there are not many overlapping ones with Moiseiwitsch; just the Op. 23/5, Op. 32/10 and Op. 32/12. I also enjoy the older master very much, but he's style is very different to Richter. It's "aristocratic", calmer, more lyrical but not with the same supreme control like Richter. I would pick Richter for the island, but for me Moiseiwitsch is an excellent, alternative interpreter.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Jay F

Quote from: Bulldog on April 02, 2009, 12:28:55 PM
What's your problem with basketball? 
It's loud. And somewhat rhythmic.

Solitary Wanderer

Beautiful in a compelling and gloomy way  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

aquablob

SonicMan46

Haydn, Joseph - Baryton Works w/ Esterhazy Ensemble; the baryton used is a copy after an instrument by Stadlmann, the original (now in the National Museum, Budapest) was played by Prince Esterhazy himself.

Brilliant Box set of 21-CDs containing 126 Trios, Duets, Octets, and miscellaneous - BOY!  First 6 CDs today - well done!

Fëanor

I am WILLING myself to enjoy Brahms ... going to take some effort, though.

SonicMan46

Bowen, York (1884-1961) - Piano Music w/ Stephen Hough - a recommendation to me from Sara, I believe - thanks!   :D

Also, ordered the 2-CD set of Viola/Piano Works shown below for a later listening -  :)

jwinter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Frumaster

Got another audio course from The Teaching company.  They have some great lecture series on music, taught by Robert Greenberg.  I finished the "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" series (45 lectures that covered everything from chant to modern classical) and am now well into "Bach and the High Baroque" (24 Lectures).  Oh, Lectures are 45 minutes long.  Highly recommended, especially if you have had no formal courses in music.  Greenberg is very enthusiastic and entertaining, making them easy to listen to while being very imformative.  Just thought I would let everyone know cause I would have killed for stuff like this years ago.  I am in no way affiliated with the company.    8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Frumaster on April 02, 2009, 05:38:33 PM
Got another audio course from The Teaching company.  They have some great lecture series on music, taught by Robert Greenberg.  I finished the "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" series (45 lectures that covered everything from chant to modern classical) and am now well into "Bach and the High Baroque" (24 Lectures).  Oh, Lectures are 45 minutes long.  Highly recommended, especially if you have had no formal courses in music.  Greenberg is very enthusiastic and entertaining, making them easy to listen to while being very imformative.  Just thought I would let everyone know cause I would have killed for stuff like this years ago.  I am in no way affiliated with the company.    8)

Hi Frumaster - I started a thread on this topic HERE exactly 2 years ago - went to 2 pages w/ some good recommendations - if willing, please post your comments about the Teaching Company there - might re-activate this thread; wife & I order a bunch of their offerings (not only music but many others) - a great experience - now going through the DVD offering on the Metropolitan Museum in NYC - Dave  :)

jwinter

Yes, Prof. Greenberg is awesome, I've listened to several of his courses, great stuff!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

haydnguy

Quote from: jwinter on April 02, 2009, 05:53:05 PM
Yes, Prof. Greenberg is awesome, I've listened to several of his courses, great stuff!

I have several of his courses too and have enjoyed all of them.

Now:

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidRoss on April 02, 2009, 09:15:54 AM
Glass, Symphonies 2 & 3, Alsop/Bournemouth -- picked up on a whim last Fall, not heard since then.  I still can't tell whether this is music for people with short attention spans or long ones.

It leaves me asking questions too... is it watered down minimalism, sparse/bland Romanticism, or actually any good?

Edit:

The Ukranian Rhapsody is excellent! Virtuoso piano writing, dynamism, tunes, neat stuff.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.