What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Another new goodie! :D

Harry, Dave, I hereby aply for membership of the GMG Baryton Society. 8)

Q

val

J S BACH:      Matthäus Passion             / Equiluz, Concentus Musicus, Harnoncourt  (1970)

The first of the three versions recorded by Harnoncourt and the best. The Choir is good and the instrumental soloists remarkable (Schäftlein, Sigiswald and Barthold Kuijken, Alice Harnoncourt, Turkovic). Equiluz is the best Evangelist since Häfliger and Ridderbusch and van Egmond are perfect.

Even for those like me who prefer more intense and dramatic interpretations of this masterpiece, Harnoncourt's version deserves a deep respect for its remarkable balance and, in general, its very good quality, vocal and instrumental.

Valentino

Quote from: George on April 03, 2009, 08:44:21 AM
Beethoven
Piano Concerto 4
Moravec
VAI

Inspired.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: imperfection on April 03, 2009, 09:05:27 PM

Symphony No.5, Finale

Every note is crystal clear, every component fits into each other like a jigsaw puzzle.

This may be a set to own since I do not have M7 or M10 (if there is one) and all my symphonies are spread across different conductors.  I think the set by Bernstein on Sony is considered the best ...

Valentino

Transporter, the Squeezebox for the discerning audiophile (me).  0:)

Now:

Downloaded on 24/96 from www.HDtracks.com. Great music making, super sound.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on April 03, 2009, 10:38:32 PM

The Partitas from this ridiculously cheap set from amazon.ge. Really outstanding.

Too bad this set is only available in Germany ...

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 03, 2009, 11:56:31 PM
Picked up my recent order at jpc from the post office yesterday. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. ;D

First spin of this. Sounds absolutely delicious - in Early Music this is my first venture accross the Channel to the realm of Albion. 

One day I had no music by Thomas Tallis, and now - in the blink of an eye - I have his complete works. :o These are strange times... ::)

Q

This is by far the best Tallis I heard for years, including the much lauded Gimell recordings, which I never much liked.

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 04, 2009, 01:09:51 AM

Q

Done, and double done!
You are very much welcome dear Sir! ;D
If you bring to it, your good humor, all will be well!

Coopmv

Now playing the third of the 6 Ockeghem CD's received from MDT last week ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on April 03, 2009, 11:56:31 PM
Picked up my recent order at jpc from the post office yesterday. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. ;D

First spin of this. Sounds absolutely delicious - in Early Music this is my first venture accross the Channel to the realm of Albion. 

One day I had no music by Thomas Tallis, and now - in the blink of an eye - I have his complete works. :o These are strange times... ::)

Q

I bought this set last year.  It is a nice way to get the collection in one physical set since recordings of Tallis' works are all over the place IMO.

Que

Another new acquisition - entertaining stuff, those Field concertos.

John Field, concertos nos. 2 & 3
Andreas Staier, Concerto Köln, David Stern

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 04, 2009, 01:09:51 AM

Q - LOL  ;D & welcome aboard - at the moment, I'm listening to disc 7 of the baryton works, alternating w/ the Haydn Symphony box (about half way through that one!) - looks like a Papa Joe weekend for me -  :) 8)   Dave

Dr. Dread

chopin piano sonata in b-flat minor op. 35 - horowitz

Coopmv

Now playing 4 of 6 Ockeghem CD's that arrived last week ...

Keemun

This music seems to fit well with Saturday morning at the office; I listened to it last Saturday as well. 
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Coopmv

Now playing 5 of 6 Ockeghem's CD's received last week ...

Jay F

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 04:05:25 AM
This may be a set to own since I do not have M7 or M10 (if there is one) and all my symphonies are spread across different conductors.  I think the set by Bernstein on Sony is considered the best ...
I think it is. However, that M4 and M5 aren't among the best, and Sinopoli's M5 is one of my favorites (though I also like Bernstein's on DG, and Tennstedt's).

For the thread: Chailly's M2.