What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2009, 10:30:30 AM
I thought the string quartet was the original version.  But I definitely could be mistaken.  :)
You're probably right, hence (nice English, eh?) my question mark.

Christo

@ Chambernut: your taste, always refined, is (RVW, Respighi, aso) immaculate today ! ;) :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ChamberNut

Quote from: Christo on May 04, 2009, 10:33:25 AM
@ Chambernut: your taste, always refined, is (RVW, Respighi, aso) immaculate today ! ;) :D

Why thank you.  I'm coming around.  ;)

Bulldog

I thought the string quartet was the original version.  But I definitely could be mistaken.  :)

The Orchestral version was first - 1786.

ChamberNut

Que

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2009, 10:24:02 AM

I've never heard the orchestral version of this work.  I should get on this!  :) 0:)

It is not the orchestral version, it's the choral version (with orchestra) which Haydn wrote himself after someone else attempted an orchestral version with words, which followed Haydn's original orchestral version without words and his later adaptation for string quartet. I myself prefer the choral version and the string quartet adaptation.

EDIT: I see others already clarified the question of the original version.

Q

ChamberNut

Beethoven

*Trio in D major (after Symphony No. 2) not the original version.  ;)
Triosatz in E flat major
Trio No. 4 in B flat major, op. 11 "Gassenhauer"

Beaux Arts Trio
Philips

*Sounds awesome in the Piano Trio format.  Makes me wish all of the symphonies had been transcribed in that fashion (although I'm sure it would not have worked equally as well with some of the symphonies).  :)

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2009, 11:12:09 AM
Beethoven

*Trio in D major (after Symphony No. 2) not the original version.  ;)
Triosatz in E flat major
Trio No. 4 in B flat major, op. 11 "Gassenhauer"

Beaux Arts Trio
Philips

*Sounds awesome in the Piano Trio format.  Makes me wish all of the symphonies had been transcribed in that fashion (although I'm sure it would not have worked equally as well with some of the symphonies).  :)
Good to hear that! Naxos has a recording of the Symphony No. 2 Piano Trio coming out next month with Maria Kliegel, Nina Tichman and Ida Bieler. :)

BERLIOZ | Overtures
Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal
Charles Dutoit

Coopmv

Now playing Vol. 3 of Cortot Chopin that arrived last week from MDT ...

Coopmv

Now playing Vol. 4 of Cortot Chopin ...

ChamberNut

Stravinsky

Violin Concerto in D major

Perlman, violin

Seiji Ozawa
Boston Symphony Orchestra
DG Originals

ChamberNut

Bach

Sonata No. 2 in A minor, BWV 1003

Ilya Kaler, violin
Naxos

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
Stravinsky

Perlman, violin

Seiji Ozawa
DG Originals

How is the CD?  I know there are few fans of Seiji Ozawa on GMG ...

Antoine Marchand

Few days ago, during a bloody debate with Traverso  ;D, I posted the following chronology:

The Seven Last Words has come down to us in no fewer than five versions, all of which were produced over a period of some 10 years:

a) the original version for orchestra, frequently dated 1785, in other sources 1787;

b) the version for string quartet , completed before 21 June 1787, and made under Haydn's supervision.

c) the version for "Clavicembalo o Fortepiano", also referred as a "Piano Score" (in his letter of  21-6-1787) "selbst übersehen und corrigirt", i.e., also created under his supervision.

d) a version (perhaps even two) as a oratorio for soloists, chorus and orchestra, made by Joseph Friebert, music director of the Cathedral of Passau, 1792 (?).

e) an oratorio version made by Haydn himself, probably dating from 1795/1796.

This information is taken from the notes written by Jos van Immerseel for the booklet of his own version on fortepiano of this work.

AFAIK the work played by Laurence Equilbey and her people is not the original version for orchestra, but the last one, the oratorio version, reworked by Haydn on the basis of the previous version by Friebert!

P.S.: I'm sorry I didn't read until now the previous explanations.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on May 04, 2009, 04:20:23 PM
How is the CD?  I know there are few fans of Seiji Ozawa on GMG ...

Love it!  Both the Berg and Stravinsky violin concertos on this disc are terrific, to my tin ears anyways.  ;D

Brian

MOERAN | Symphony in G minor
New Philharmonia
Adrian Boult

My future roommate picked this up on Colin's [Dundonnell's] recommendation, I borrowed it from him, and by golly, it's a cool piece. A very rhapsodic work, to be sure, but a very cool one - quiet an enjoyable listen. Great orchestration by Mr. Moeran, by the way. :)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
Stravinsky

Perlman, violin

Seiji Ozawa
DG Originals

You know . . . that one might work!

Daverz

Martin, Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto on First Edition.  The Louisville orchestra can't match the ensembles in the Erxleben or either Schneiderhan recording of the VC, you have to make allowances for some iffy horn playing for example, but the performance is more warm and intimate than the others, though also more deliberate and a little lacking in drama.  Both soloists play with generous tone, particular the cellist here.  I think a great modern Martin VC recording is yet to be made, but the CC recording on Bis is a beauty.

Dvořák, Symphony No. 9 - Kertesz/VPO on a Japanese Decca CD.  One of the classic stereo recordings of this work.  Thrilling from beginning to end.

Carter, String Quartets No. 2-4 - Pacifica String Quartet/Naxos

Que